Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport never works at eGates?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
I used to have this problem, much to the chagrin of the people funnelling everyone towards the egates when I joined the line for an Officer instead.
​​​​​​
After a few failed attempts, I got an Officer who told me that my name was in the system and that it would never work. I used to have SC clearance due to my old employment, so assumed it was probably something to do with that and just accepted it. Oddly enough, once I left, I could use the egates again. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.
​​​​​
Old Jun 29, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: NEXUS
ReadID

Originally Posted by Schwann
It could be a chip fault. Does it work in other UK airports?
There's an app you can download (ReadID) available for iPhone and Android, see if that picks up your chip. If it doesn't then it could be a fault, HMPO will (should) replace for free. Mine wasn't working in the gates and causing similar queueing issues and it was annoying me, got a free and very quick replacement.
Off topic but, that (ReadID) is a very cool app -- I just tried it on my Canadian passport and it read it and spat out my details and my photo. I tried on a bunch of other cards like NEXUS and it didn't work though -- probably different NFC tech.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:39 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Mine doesnt work, and didnt in my previous passport. There's an individual with the same name on some sort of dodgy list so I get called aside EVERY time so they can compare mugshot. Each time they take the details an agree to update the system as its incorrect information but this has been happening for over ten years now.

I was even asked once if im sure thats my birthdate! I said although I was there at the time I cant vouch its correct but its the one Ive been using for 46 years.

I need to get around to issuing them with a request to update inaccurate personal information and quote my ICO rights but its finding the time
adrianlondon and becks1 like this.

Last edited by A P Yu; Jun 30, 2021 at 12:52 am
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
It's hit and miss with me, works most times but not every time. No idea why
Old Jun 30, 2021, 1:48 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
(a) You don't have to try the egates first. That is just little Hitlers flexing their muscles. You may enter the country by any means available to you.

(b) The reason some passports don't work is because the photo is not sufficiently like the current appearance of the holder. As we all know, the biometric recognition thing is a fake. Your expiry date is checked and your face is examined by a passport official in the control room, who typically has a number of gates to supervise at the same time, hence the variable delay in the gate opening up. If the operator can't match you to the photo, or is having a bad day, you get "seek assistance".
Old Jun 30, 2021, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by sungod
Over time my passport developed a kink in the paper of the photo page near the spine, the plastic lamination doesn't extend all the way, it's exactly where the lamination ends.

I have to hold it down very firmly in that area otherwise I get the message to retry.

From memory the LHR egates are fussier about it than others, came through there Sunday and it took two goes to get through.
This is exactly what has happened to me. PP works fine in other scanners, but fails approximately 50% of the time in LHR T5. The passport officer said the fold on the paper on the photo page could be the problem - the PP is 8 years old. I do try to hold the PP in the scanner so the fold doesn't screw things up, but it is tricky.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 2:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
I used to have this problem, much to the chagrin of the people funnelling everyone towards the egates when I joined the line for an Officer instead.
​​​​​​
After a few failed attempts, I got an Officer who told me that my name was in the system and that it would never work. I used to have SC clearance due to my old employment, so assumed it was probably something to do with that and just accepted it. Oddly enough, once I left, I could use the egates again. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.
​​​​​
I think it's the name rather than the clearance, I sometimes travel with someone who shares a name with a person on a UK watch list and his passport never works either, likewise a work colleague who also shares that (quite common) name and can't use the egates either.

Last edited by Tiffywren; Jun 30, 2021 at 2:46 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skipness1E
made worse by some bored and barely literarate teen
... mmm... Is it just me or has a glass house just been hit by a stone?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
I think it's the name rather than the clearance, I sometimes travel with someone who shares a name with a person on a UK watch list and his passport never works either, likewise a work colleague who also shares that (quite common) name and can't use the egates either.
I also have a fairly common name so that's most likely it. Maybe they finally got him!
​​​​​
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Mine never work, at any egates in the UK. Worked in europe fine. There is nothing wrong with the chips. The first time I used my second passport it was rejected at the egates. There is clearly a flag of sorts on the passports that stop it working. I now try to bypass egates queues & go straight to the manned desks if I can
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Arrived back into LHR T5 yesterday and after enduring a 1 hour wait for the eGates (all EU pax were being sent to eGates only) I then got the dreaded "seek assistance" and had an additional 1 hour 30 mins wait for an officer. Meanwhile my partner was sat in the Costa in arrivals for an hour and half waiting for me as they went through the eGates all OK. All very frustrating.

I've travelled upwards of 30 times on this passport and it's never worked at the Heathrow eGates. I always ask the officer why and they say there is nothing wrong at their end and I must have "put it in wrong". It was issued in 2016 and has one of those very thin and flimsy photo pages. Up until now I've not really been that bothered but with the increased wait times due to COVID-19 does anyone have any suggestions? Can I ask the passport office to replace it? Bizarrely, it's always worked in the eGates I've used in other countries (and I have global entry in the US and it's always worked for that too).
I have the same problem, It is not occasional, or temperamental, but 100% does not work at any UK entry point. Both of my UK passports the same, and also from the day they were delivered (ie no damage).
Both work at every EU automated gate i have tried.

Very frustrating as the Retina system worked perfectly
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Same problem, works at every airport except LHR. I wish they had gone for the style that some countries use where the machine sucks in your passport to read it - that seems a lot more reliable.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Originally Posted by sungod
Over time my passport developed a kink in the paper of the photo page near the spine, the plastic lamination doesn't extend all the way, it's exactly where the lamination ends.

I have to hold it down very firmly in that area otherwise I get the message to retry.

From memory the LHR egates are fussier about it than others, came through there Sunday and it took two goes to get through.

Mine is exactly the same, if I simply place it down it doesn’t work 100% of the time. I have developed a technique for adjusting for the link that puts me up to about 70% success.

The issue isn’t with the chip, it’s about the optical recognition. It centres itself based on the outline of the passport (which is normal) but the text it is scanning is not in the right detection zone.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Arrived back into LHR T5 yesterday and after enduring a 1 hour wait for the eGates (all EU pax were being sent to eGates only) I then got the dreaded "seek assistance" and had an additional 1 hour 30 mins wait for an officer.
Could I ask, were you sent from the e-gates back to the main manual queue? That’s quite a big change if so.

There used to be a set of 2-3 desks next to the e-gates specifically set aside for rejects. Not sure there was enough space there for a queue of 90 mins though.

I have the same thing - Border Force told me I have a name shared by someone they are looking for.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
The old Iris system was fab - 100% reliable, a real time saver and sort of "secret", which always creates a warm and fuzzy feeling .

The e-gates are unreliable crap. And I HATE the fact they discriminate against families, as the regular desks are always understaffed and leave stressed families with kids waiting far longer than the e-gate line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.