BA Amex - free to paid last min

Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

BA Amex - free to paid last min

Hi all

iíve just realised that Iím within £800 of a companion voucher. I only have a free AMEX card at the moment. If I upgrade it to a premium card will this cause it to provide me with a two year companion voucher opposed to the one year version? Iíve already got a flight booked in the next year and donít plan to take another Also, and slightly cheeky I realise, if I cancel the card is a month later will the two-year voucher still stay in place and get a pro-rata refund?

thank you
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rob Clark
Hi all

iíve just realised that Iím within £800 of a companion voucher. I only have a free AMEX card at the moment. If I upgrade it to a premium card will this cause it to provide me with a two year companion voucher opposed to the one year version? Iíve already got a flight booked in the next year and donít plan to take another Also, and slightly cheeky I realise, if I cancel the card is a month later will the two-year voucher still stay in place and get a pro-rata refund?

thank you
Yes and yes. If you hang on to September to complete your upgrade on your Amex card to the paid card you'll get the new style voucher which can include I class availability in Club as opposed to just the standard redemption availability. If you complete your voucher on your free card then the rules are changing in September which means you can only use your voucher for Economy redemptions. So lots to think about but definitely upgrade just before you hit then once you have your voucher drop back down to the free card.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:37 pm

Yes and yes. Youíll instantly trigger the 2 year voucher and if you downgraded back to the free card at any time thereafter then the annual charge will be pro rats refunded. No brainer.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both. Iíve just managed to upgrade.

Will keep it in place for just under a month, might as well have the improved and will then downgrade.

cheers all
Old Jun 28, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just to add if you had already spent 10K when you upgraded you may automatically get a one year voucher. Amex can sort this and get the 2 year one you should have.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dougzz
Just to add if you had already spent 10K when you upgraded you may automatically get a one year voucher. Amex can sort this and get the 2 year one you should have.
yes. This is what has happened to me. The voucher given is a one year. Iíll ring Amex later and ask for the two year voucher.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:14 am

yes. This is what has happened to me. The voucher given is a one year. Iíll ring Amex later and ask for the two year voucher.
I think this happens fairly consistently in these circumstances. The voucher you get will I think be good until late Dec 2023, as they're still doing the six month extended ones.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dougzz
I think this happens fairly consistently in these circumstances. The voucher you get will I think be good until late Dec 2023, as they're still doing the six month extended ones.
Dec 2022 at the moment. Will give them a ring.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Yes and yes. If you hang on to September to complete your upgrade on your Amex card to the paid card you'll get the new style voucher which can include I class availability in Club as opposed to just the standard redemption availability. If you complete your voucher on your free card then the rules are changing in September which means you can only use your voucher for Economy redemptions. So lots to think about but definitely upgrade just before you hit then once you have your voucher drop back down to the free card.
Oh so as a current PP card holder if I finish my 10k spend before 1st September I will get the old style voucher? Didn't know that ta. Need to put the brakes on heavy!
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Oh so as a current PP card holder if I finish my 10k spend before 1st September I will get the old style voucher? Didn't know that ta. Need to put the brakes on heavy!
out of interest. Why is that a bad thing? The current voucher, if premium (2 year) would allow business bookings anyway even after the change?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:05 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
out of interest. Why is that a bad thing? The current voucher, if premium (2 year) would allow business bookings anyway even after the change?
The amount of availability is changing; I didn't realise it was connected to vouchers earned after the activation of the new greater availability
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
The amount of availability is changing; I didn't realise it was connected to vouchers earned after the activation of the new greater availability
Do you mean the 4 business seats at 355 days instead of the previous 2 seats? I was able to see all four seats when I booked using our voucher recently for May 2022. Or have I missed an announcement some place?
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Just to update. Called Amex today. They were fine with the request to make the one year voucher a two year one. Apparently, it takes 10 days to process.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:15 pm

Sorry to hijack the OPís thread but I read further up that companion vouchers triggered now will be good up to Dec 2023 due to a 6 month extension. Is this 100% true? Iím only £50 from triggering my 2 year voucher but need it for Aug 2023 so Iíve been holding off but Iíll just go ahead and trigger it if theyíre are actually good for 2.5 years.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by MH1981
Sorry to hijack the OPís thread but I read further up that companion vouchers triggered now will be good up to Dec 2023 due to a 6 month extension. Is this 100% true? Iím only £50 from triggering my 2 year voucher but need it for Aug 2023 so Iíve been holding off but Iíll just go ahead and trigger it if theyíre are actually good for 2.5 years.
ďAll unused vouchers had a 6-month extension applied to their validity in March 2020. Subsequently, all unused vouchers that were due to expire before 31 March 2021 had a 6-month extension applied to their validity in October 2020. We have recently (in February 2021) added a further 6-month extension to all vouchers that were due to expire before the 31 December 2021, giving members more chance to enjoy them.

Weíre also added an additional 6-months validity to all new Companion Voucher or Travel Together tickets earned between June 2020 and the end of December 2021.Ē

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...s-and-benefits

Expand the ď
I have a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned through a British Airways credit card that I havenít been able to use. Does the 6-month voucher extension apply to me?Ē section
MH1981 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.