Cancelling Avios Booking

Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:26 am
formerly Bryce Curdy
Original Poster

Cancelling Avios Booking

Two days ago I booked flights using Avios and an Amex Companion voucher. I forgot I had two future travel vouchers (expire 30 April 2022) and forgot to use them. I assume I'm entitled to cancel paying the 35 cancellation fee and rebook using the future companion vouchers as part payment. Under 'Manage My Booking' my only option is a voucher refund rather than cash (minus 35 cancellation fee) and full Avios. I have tried to call but they're too busy and just cut me off. Please confirm I have understood my position correctly.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Are the FTVs for Avios bookings, not holidays or cash flights ?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Hi
Check out these forums

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread
Changing 50% Avios Flights

Mods - perhaps merge with
Cancelled avios flight what is the refund policy?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:52 am
formerly Bryce Curdy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Are the FTVs for Avios bookings, not holidays or cash flights ?
Avios bookings.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by El Vercker
Avios bookings.
Perfect, then yes you can do as you mention, just paying the 35 fee per person to cancel... you'll have to do this on the phone. Be aware, you'll need new Reward Space for rebooking, so check it's there before cancelling and rebooking! Even if you cancel, there's no guarantee the seats will release back into Reward space
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:11 am
formerly Bryce Curdy
Original Poster

Thanks.
Good point regarding the rewards seats. I think for one leg I did book the last two although the availability may have been limited by the domestic connection rather than international flight. If the reward seats do get released back how quickly does that normally happen?

And there's the slight issue of getting through to them! Any tips re best day/time to call?

Last edited by El Vercker; Jun 28, 2021 at 10:14 am Reason: Additional question
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
Good point regarding the rewards seats. I think for one leg I did book the last two although the availability may have been limited by the domestic connection rather than international flight. If the reward seats do get released back how quickly does that normally happen?

And there's the slight issue of getting through to them! Any tips re best day/time to call?
Definitely not a definite !!! I wouldn't rely on them being re-released if no availability. I've had plenty of success calling about 7.55am for most things
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Two days ago I booked flights using Avios and an Amex Companion voucher. I forgot I had two future travel vouchers (expire 30 April 2022) and forgot to use them. I assume I'm entitled to cancel paying the 35 cancellation fee and rebook using the future companion vouchers as part payment. Under 'Manage My Booking' my only option is a voucher refund rather than cash (minus 35 cancellation fee) and full Avios. I have tried to call but they're too busy and just cut me off. Please confirm I have understood my position correctly.
Your Future Travel Voucher expires 30 April 2023, all previously issued vouchers expiring on 30 April 2022 got extended to 30 April 2023.

If you want to to use your existing FTV, then I'd call to book what you want first, then cancel your avios booking for a full refund. There's no guarantee cancelling your existing booking will release back the avios seats. But given the fact that your voucher is valid till 2023, I'd just use it for something else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.