First Wing opening time

Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: RDM
Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott - Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 353
First Wing opening time

We are flying LHR to DBV on a 8:30 am flight in Club Europe in August. When does the First Wing check-in open on a Saturday? Also, how early should we get to the airport to be safe?

Thanks.
CAVU is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:54 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 1,285
Opened at 5am last Saturday but only for check in. Security was just like the good old days (South) with the long walk down and back to the escalators.
HarryHolden68 is online now  
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:00 pm
  #3  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,533
Yes I think TFW security opens around 0600. You can check in using TFW before then, but you would have to use south security.

For an 0830 flight I would say maybe arrive 0630 which would give you plenty of time to do any checks needed at check in, and probably an hour to relax and have some breakfast.
Markie and The _Banking_Scot like this.
KARFA is online now  
Old Jun 27, 2021, 5:44 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Posts: 10,181
And for anyone else reading this thread - it is only open until 2pm (desks open until EOD, I believe, but security closed).

Tried to access it yesterday for a 7pm flight and was met by an agent saying that it now closes at 2, "due to covid, obviously".

Not that obvious, no - it's been open every time I've taken that flight since covid.. (which isn't that many times, but still).
SxMan likes this.
BA6501 is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:15 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL / Concorde Room
Posts: 392
Yes, the First Wing was closed on Friday June 18th when I tried to go through at around 1630, and closed again on Saturday 26th when I went through at around 1800. On a happier note, the Aspire Lounge at BHD is now open (replacing the old BA lounge), with many of the same hospitality wonderful team back from furlough, and a decent range of food/drink (including five different flavours of Tayto crisps). Table service instead of self-service but service remains some of the best in the business: clearly the menu doesn't compete with, for example, Qatar's first class lounge in Doha but the warmth of the team, and the effort to which they go to help their customers (a small band of regulars, most of many years standing), is world class. The larger lounges could learn a great deal from the BHD team.
JustTheOne likes this.
southsquare is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:12 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, ARN, HEL, ..... or MAN
Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 6,040
To be fair, I went through normal South Fast Track at around 16.30 yesterday as the FW was closed and there was only one other customer there at the time.

The GF lounge was heaving though. I assume that the GC lounges are closed by that time? If not then there will be serious capacity issues when numbers do pick up. I was very pleased to be able to access the CCT which had 3 other groups only so no issue with either service or space. In fact, it was among the best service yesterday that I've ever had on the CCT.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
ThatT1Feeling is online now  
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:41 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: LHR / LAS
Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Posts: 2,417
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
To be fair, I went through normal South Fast Track at around 16.30 yesterday as the FW was closed and there was only one other customer there at the time.

The GF lounge was heaving though. I assume that the GC lounges are closed by that time? If not then there will be serious capacity issues when numbers do pick up. I was very pleased to be able to access the CCT which had 3 other groups only so no issue with either service or space. In fact, it was among the best service yesterday that I've ever had on the CCT.
Feeling jealous, we are yet to experience the CCT. GF sounds the same as back in the'old days', packed.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
crazyarmadillo is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2021, 9:36 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, ARN, HEL, ..... or MAN
Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 6,040
I think if I'd been in a group of more than 2 or 3, it would have been really hard to find a place for the group to sit down. It was that busy
ThatT1Feeling is online now  
Old Jul 9, 2021, 11:50 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: KSA
Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Posts: 1,264
Arrived at T5 0515 today and airport pretty busy. TFW operating without a queue although TFW security is shut. Fast track not fast - as usual - and some people electing to go to the main area. Nice to see more flights on the board.



Fast Track Security 0530

Eco/Bag Drop Checkin

Club Checkin

Nice to see a full board of flights
moral_low_ground is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:24 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: Some
Posts: 5,401
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Arrived at T5 0515 today and airport pretty busy. TFW operating without a queue although TFW security is shut. Fast track not fast - as usual - and some people electing to go to the main area. Nice to see more flights on the board.

Fast Track Security 0530
Eco/Bag Drop Checkin
Club Checkin
Nice to see a full board of flights
I understand that today is T5 s busiest day in some time! Bit of a queue for security currently, although they are stubbornly refusing to open the second set of scanners in First Wing

lost_in_translation is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:31 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Programs: GGLfL
Posts: 1,137
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I understand that today is T5 s busiest day in some time! Bit of a queue for security currently, although they are stubbornly refusing to open the second set of scanners in First Wing

I am more surprised that you weren't shouted at/ threatened/ arrested for taking that photo! I was ordered to delete it last time I attempted it, with the threat of "further action" if I didn't do so immediately.
MrSimonR is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:37 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mostly UK
Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Posts: 11,211
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
I am more surprised that you weren't shouted at/ threatened/ arrested for taking that photo! I was ordered to delete it last time I attempted it, with the threat of "further action" if I didn't do so immediately.
Presumably they just didn't notice.
layz is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:57 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: Some
Posts: 5,401
Originally Posted by layz
Presumably they just didn't notice.
Too busy dealing with the massive security queue to shout at the passengers!
SxMan and MatJarosz like this.
lost_in_translation is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:27 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FLR
Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Posts: 505
I am somewhat confused - is FW security again open?
denhaagflyer is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:29 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Posts: 822
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
I am somewhat confused - is FW security again open?
Its been open for months.

Normally only between approx 0630 and 1430 though, to coincide with the majority of flights.
GumshoeW12 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.