Search

When will we know about Gatwick?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
When will we know about Gatwick?

Hi Everybody,

I took the plunge and booked a trip to the Canaries in November. At the moment it's showing as flights from LGW South Terminal. Before I go crazy and start booking a variation of overnight hotels for both terminals, how likely are we to know when/if LGW is not going to be used any more, and how likely if it is, that flights are going from the South Terminal?

Thanks!

PS I have been lurking and I miss you all - just couldn't remember my password to log in
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
If its going to be used again I doubt theyd start in the slow winter season if Im honest. Winters are brutal enough.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A P Yu
If its going to be used again I doubt theyd start in the slow winter season if Im honest. Winters are brutal enough.
Thanks - so assume that the flights will either be cancelled, or from LHR? I know it's a crystal ball job, but when do you think they'll pull the trigger roughly?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:08 am

Probably from LHR, the chances are that by Nov the Canaries will be an okay destination. There are no SH crews based at LGW and the only SH flights planned through LGW are domestic w patterns. With the demise of the Jumbo BA would struggle to fly all its LHR slots, which are arguably its biggest asset. So ex LGW SH destinations are likely to be served from LHR using the extra frames freed up by them not being at LGW. Just my opinion, but it’s as good as any other opinion on the Internet - so probably rubbish.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Just my opinion, but it’s as good as any other opinion on the Internet - so probably rubbish.
Now that is complete nonsense and you know it! Thanking you kindly, I shall assume LHR then, and not go booking random hotels just yet!
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Now that is complete nonsense and you know it! Thanking you kindly, I shall assume LHR then, and not go booking random hotels just yet!
Or get a cancellable booking at both airports...
Old Jun 25, 2021, 2:01 am
Original Poster

you mean cancellable bookings at both North and South terminal?! I don't think they'd reschedule the flights at Heathrow for crack of dawn
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't think they'd reschedule the flights at Heathrow for crack of dawn
What makes you (not) think that?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:00 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
It will most likely be LHR, with an altered flight time. If it is LGW most likely North....
Just book cancellable hotels at either location.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:20 am

I don't think they'd reschedule the flights at Heathrow for crack of dawn
Heathrow generally opens for business at 4/4:20AM. In normal times both runways are used mostly for arrivals, but the first departures (BA456 to MAD was one of those) start at 5:30ish. So I wouldn't discount such an early start.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
you mean cancellable bookings at both North and South terminal?! I don't think they'd reschedule the flights at Heathrow for crack of dawn
I'm not sure I'd lose too much sleep over staying nearer the 'wrong' terminal at LGW
mikeyfly, A P Yu, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coleslaw
What makes you (not) think that?
They're currently on at 11:20 am...
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
They're currently on at 11:20 am...
Shifting everything to LHR means all bets are off and you can’t really predict when they’re going to squeeze these other services in.

but like others have said, just book refundable hotels at LHR and LGW. There’s not much difference where you book at LGW, just like there isn’t a huge amount of difference where you book at LHR as long as it’s connected by train and/or bus to T5 (assuming they won’t be using T3 for shorthauls moved over from LGW…).
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:23 am

We'll find out when BA thinks it's appropriate.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I guess I was unaware that I'm in the same boat. I'm supposed to be flying from LGW-RAK in late December. A new minor anxiety inducing aspect to add onto my hopeful trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.