FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Warning flights to Hong Kong (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2044843-warning-flights-hong-kong.html)

brunos Jun 24, 2021 10:08 am

Warning flights to Hong Kong

Hong Kong will require a PCR test from 26 June. The LAMP test performed at LHR will not be accepted anymore (nor other NAAT).
Also HK will hotel quarantine arrivals from UK for 21 days from 28 June, even vaccinated pax. Hence all pax must arrange a 21-day hotel booking before being allowed to board.

This might not be the best place to post, but the notice is extremely short, Hong Kong tolerates no exception and a RT-PCR test takes time to perform.Quarantine hoteles are also extremely full.Up to 28 June, vaccinated pax could book only 14 days.
I am afraid that many BA31 pax will be denied boarding..

PaulN Jun 24, 2021 10:34 am

Thanks for the heads up. My daughter is off there to study in early August so keeping a close eye on this

Globaliser Jun 25, 2021 7:39 am

Thank you for posting this. I had started contemplating a possible trip to Hong Kong given the apparent direction of travel (Group A1 --> Group B), although a week's quarantine in Hong Kong and 10 days' quarantine in the UK was still too much.

Now, again, no foreseeable chance of going.

realgaga Jun 28, 2021 4:49 am

And banned (from Thursday).
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...B23CQ1YZPV5j3E

brunos Jun 28, 2021 4:58 am

Originally Posted by realgaga (Post 33363189)

as realgaga posted. HK will resume its ban on pax arriving from UK.
It is unclear if the ban will hold for pax departing UK on July 1 or June 30 (arriving July 1).

GBOAC Jun 28, 2021 6:55 am

Can someone advise what '2 hours in the UK' means - is that 2 hours in the airport, or outside it/through border?
If quarantine is relaxed for certain countries by November, seriously considering working remotely from a third country and transiting via LHR for Hong Kong. Problem is that the connection time could be 9hours.... Happy not to leave the airport and I cetainly won't consider myself having 'been in the UK' if I've just been drinking champers in the lounge for 9 hours.

Also the whole stigma against the UK is now getting rediculous. Delta is only 'more' of a problem here beause we are world leaders in genomic sequencing. What about all the other countries awash with Delta but that just don't know about it....

pbd456 Jun 28, 2021 7:05 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC (Post 33363394)
Can someone advise what '2 hours in the UK' means - is that 2 hours in the airport, or outside it/through border?
If quarantine is relaxed for certain countries by November, seriously considering working remotely from a third country and transiting via LHR for Hong Kong. Problem is that the connection time could be 9hours.... Happy not to leave the airport and I cetainly won't consider myself having 'been in the UK' if I've just been drinking champers in the lounge for 9 hours.

Also the whole stigma against the UK is now getting rediculous. Delta is only 'more' of a problem here beause we are world leaders in genomic sequencing. What about all the other countries awash with Delta but that just don't know about it....

every single positive case on HK is test for whether they are delta. Indonesia was banned last week because it has exported too many cases including delta variant to HK.

Even if UK does zero sequencing at all, UK would still be banned because WHO put delta variant on variant of concern and HK tests every single cases of arrival against all variant of concern. HK would discover that there are more than 10 import cases of variant of concern over last 7 days

HarryKUK Jun 28, 2021 7:30 am

If somebody is currently in the UK and needs to enter Hong Kong soon does this mean they need to go to a third country first and stay there for three weeks before continuing on to Hong Kong and then doing a three week quarantine on arrival?

Or is it just that the flights from the UK are banned and therefore a connection wih say Lufthansa or Singapore would be okay?

GBOAC Jun 28, 2021 7:33 am

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 33363421)
every single positive case on HK is test for whether they are delta. Indonesia was banned last week because it has exported too many cases including delta variant to HK.

Even if UK does zero sequencing at all, UK would still be banned because WHO put delta variant on variant of concern and HK tests every single cases of arrival against all variant of concern. HK would discover that there are more than 10 import cases of variant of concern over last 7 days

Very soon there will be almost no countries in the world that don't have Delta as the dominant varient.
I don't see how more than 10 people are testing positive on arrival, given they have had a negative test in order to depart. That is a lot of people who have developed positive status during a 12 hour flight...

Misco60 Jun 28, 2021 7:42 am

Ridiculous?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...54f52e275a.jpg

brithk Jun 28, 2021 7:55 am

Originally Posted by HarryKUK (Post 33363467)
If somebody is currently in the UK and needs to enter Hong Kong soon does this mean they need to go to a third country first and stay there for three weeks before continuing on to Hong Kong and then doing a three week quarantine on arrival?

Or is it just that the flights from the UK are banned and therefore a connection wih say Lufthansa or Singapore would be okay?

You will need to not have been in the UK for 3 weeks prior to entry into HK. Its the same as was in place earlier in the year and means it can be a 'journey' of up to 42 days

GBOAC Jun 28, 2021 7:57 am

But how many of those cases are vaccinated vs unvaccinated (and why isn't this data being reported)?
UK is one of the world-leaders on vaccination.
It is getting the the point where you can't now judge the whole country based on the (minority) of unvaccinated idiots who are going round pretending the virus can't harm them (and yes I think we've released restrictions too soon and have clutched defeat from the jaws of victory)...

brithk Jun 28, 2021 7:57 am

includes transit - basically it means do not go through the UK ( if there are any flights). So you wouldn't be allowed to do the above if this restriction is still in place

pbd456 Jun 28, 2021 8:08 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC (Post 33363478)
Very soon there will be almost no countries in the world that don't have Delta as the dominant varient.
I don't see how more than 10 people are testing positive on arrival, given they have had a negative test in order to depart. That is a lot of people who have developed positive status during a 12 hour flight...

The 10 cases including some positive while at hotel

pbd456 Jun 28, 2021 8:10 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC (Post 33363536)
But how many of those cases are vaccinated vs unvaccinated (and why isn't this data being reported)?
UK is one of the world-leaders on vaccination.
It is getting the the point where you can't now judge the whole country based on the (minority) of unvaccinated idiots who are going round pretending the virus can't harm them (and yes I think we've released restrictions too soon and have clutched defeat from the jaws of victory)...

I know of at least 2 cases are fully vaccinated.