Warning flights to Hong Kong

Old Jun 29, 21, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
Just change destination to Singapore
I tried that last time, but BA told me I would have to stump up another 50% avios... they were totally inflexible on this. If it gets cancelled again I might plead further with them...
Old Jun 29, 21, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by GBOAC View Post
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
Just change destination to Singapore
I tried that last time, but BA told me I would have to stump up another 50% avios... they were totally inflexible on this. If it gets cancelled again I might plead further with them...
I know you two are just kidding around, but please don't forget that there are some of us who could really do with being able to travel for Hong Kong for reasons that are neither work nor holiday. And that the inability to do so without basically giving up work is a bit frustrating.
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 21, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC View Post
I'm basically assuming that the UK ban will last as long as last time (6 months), and that my planned (already rescheduled) F 2-4-1 Nov 50% off flight will be junked (hope they open up new F availiability come November as there is currently nothing to move any cancelled flights to)

I was actually hoping HKG would move towards exemptions for vaccinated travellers, especially with the recent dowgrading of the risk from the UK was optomistic that things were going in a slow but positive direction. Now its going in the opposite direction.
Given we in the UK are heading towards full vaccination, as well as further unlocking on 19 Jul, COVID will become an endemic (but hopefully low) risk but UK will never have zero COVID. Given this, will we ever be allowed to travel to Hong Kong again?
We also have 2-4-1 50% off flights booked to HKG but travelling out 2nd Oct.. It now appears that BA have resumed the ability to book outbound flights whereas recently these flights were going out empty apart from the crew who would be operating the return.

Where does that leave those of us who would be unable to enter HK as only residents are able to visit. Should this still be the case in Oct will we just have to cancel and forego the saving on Avios. I was hoping that the flights would be cancelled meaning we could rebook for sometime next year.
Old Aug 15, 21, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary View Post
We also have 2-4-1 50% off flights booked to HKG but travelling out 2nd Oct.. It now appears that BA have resumed the ability to book outbound flights whereas recently these flights were going out empty apart from the crew who would be operating the return.

Where does that leave those of us who would be unable to enter HK as only residents are able to visit. Should this still be the case in Oct will we just have to cancel and forego the saving on Avios. I was hoping that the flights would be cancelled meaning we could rebook for sometime next year.
Will be interested to here where you get to in this.
The reality is that people booked wanting to travel in good faith, and knowing that they or could meet normal entry requirements. They also booked on the assumption that COVID restrictions would be eased for them to travel (either through rules or vaccinations). It is not the customers fault that they cannot travel. Of course neither is it the airlines, however there has to be some allowance for inability to travel based on restrictions for the following reason: If the airlines are choosing to operate services based on demand from only one location (e.g. ability of HK residents to travel in/out of the country, US residents able to go to UK, but UK unable to go to US) there MUST be an allowance made for those who want to travel but cannot due to rules that, if applied uniformly, would preclude any operation full stop.
I really don't see why someone who is effectively banned from HK (or indeed US or anywhere else), but has done everything in their power to travel (appropriate visas, vaccinations etc) should be penalised for not being able to travel due to assymetric rules applies by one or other country.
Old Aug 15, 21, 9:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by quitecontrary View Post

Yes. You gambled that you could go to HK and it’s very likely you won’t be able to. If the flight is still operating and not cancelled then any cancellation or change will be a voluntary one and in accordance with normal rules and fare conditions. You also now have the possibility of BWC/FTV to use as well.

At the end of the day any foreign travel currently is very much a gamble and I am afraid we are all playing a guessing game of where we can go, and this is especially the case when booking several months in to the future. For HK as well as China, Australia, and NZ tbh I am not expecting to be able to enter until 2022 at the earliest, and probably more like 2023.

There is still some time until October so hopefully your flights do get cancelled.
Old Aug 15, 21, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
There is still some time until October so hopefully your flights do get cancelled.
Unlikely, unless there is another flight ban.

The recent creation of BN(O) visa has resulted a demand of U.K. bound flights. Even the flight may be empty outbound, the inbound is expected to be full. To BA/CX/VS, it is a good opportunity to earn some.

Search this Thread