Search

Warning flights to Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Ridiculous?

Its both
Our rates are up, however we are also leaders globally in sequencing, so yes our knowledge and data points are higher as well.

However, my push back would be (for us at least) who cares about infection rates, what is key is hospital admissions and deaths - thats the negatives associated with Covid.

Thankfully, due to a strong vaccination program we are seeing more of the former and not so much of the latter - however places like HKG, which has only managed Covid due to lockdown and restrictions, its all bad.

Simply put they need to hurry up and vaccinate.
Carfield, stevie and GBOAC like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Its both
Couldn't agree more with this.
I agree with Portugal's approach of enforcing quarantine for those who are not vaccinated, but HK appears to not be evolving in the way it deals with the pandemic, plus is being unacceptably slow to vaccinate. They should also be incentivising vaccine update through waiving quarantine for vaccinated individuals (and replacing with a test before flights plus 2 & 8 day testing).
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Its both
Our rates are up, however we are also leaders globally in sequencing, so yes our knowledge and data points are higher as well.

However, my push back would be (for us at least) who cares about infection rates, what is key is hospital admissions and deaths - thats the negatives associated with Covid.

Thankfully, due to a strong vaccination program we are seeing more of the former and not so much of the latter - however places like HKG, which has only managed Covid due to lockdown and restrictions, its all bad.

That graph has been doing the rounds for some weeks and its good to see it further updated.

The sadness is that the UK has wasted its vaccine roll out by allowing the Delta Variant in and then to take off. There are many reasons for this but I think it is clear where the blame for that lies.

Domestically, the low level of hospitalisations and thankfully deaths, means that we might still be able to open up and live our normal lives. That said, there is some concern that schools may still have restrictions in September such is the spread among young people.

Internationally however this is a disaster for travel. The graph shows the dangers of the variant and nation states, particularly with slow vaccine roll outs will rightly in my view take the cautious approach and who can blame them.
stevie likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Can someone advise what '2 hours in the UK' means - is that 2 hours in the airport, or outside it/through border?
If quarantine is relaxed for certain countries by November, seriously considering working remotely from a third country and transiting via LHR for Hong Kong. Problem is that the connection time could be 9hours.... Happy not to leave the airport and I cetainly won't consider myself having 'been in the UK' if I've just been drinking champers in the lounge for 9 hours.

Also the whole stigma against the UK is now getting rediculous. Delta is only 'more' of a problem here beause we are world leaders in genomic sequencing. What about all the other countries awash with Delta but that just don't know about it....
Transit is included in 'being' in a place.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:09 am

Its both

There are plenty of vaccines available and plenty of slots open in vaccination centres, with many going to expire in August! The problem is vaccine hesitancy, the lack of promotion, and many actively refusing to take it as a way to (wrongly) voice their political opinion.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
Transit is included in 'being' in a place.
Right, but until you cross a border, you are inherently not 'in' a place.... legally. Although confusingly you can be said to be in UK juristiction the moment you step onto a G-registered aircraft...
What happens if you time a 60m connection and there are delays in departing flight? You are OK to board as you have spent less than 2hrs at time of getting your boarding pass..
Does time in the aircraft on the ground equal time 'in' a place... Is it time from aircraft doors opening?, time from you disembarking, And how do authorities know what time your doors opened, or you left the arriving aircraft....
Basically I'm saying that this '2hr' rule is very grey and open to interpretation/impossible for authorities to robustly check, especially if stated block times of incoming/outgoing flights are within the rules.

Anyway this is a moot point as I won't be booking my autumn 'connecting' itinerary until nearer the time, and assuming the countries I will be coming from will be OK
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:22 am

Right, but until you cross a border, you are inherently not 'in' a place.... legally. Although confusingly you can be said to be in UK juristiction the moment you step onto a G-registered aircraft...
What happens if you time a 60m connection and there are delays in departing flight? You are OK to board as you have spent less than 2hrs at time of getting your boarding pass..
Does time in the aircraft on the ground equal time 'in' a place... Is it time from aircraft doors opening?, time from you disembarking, And how do authorities know what time your doors opened, or you left the arriving aircraft....
Basically I'm saying that this '2hr' rule is very grey and open to interpretation/impossible for authorities to robustly check, especially if stated block times of incoming/outgoing flights are within the rules.

Anyway this is a moot point as I won't be booking my autumn 'connecting' itinerary until nearer the time, and assuming the countries I will be coming from will be OK
Both the UK and HK count transits as 'being' in a place, unless you remain on the plane and no new pax get on (tech stops).
It's counted from the STA of flight 1 to STD of flight 2.

Despite this, it is highly likely that BA will just suspend their LHR-HKG route for pax, like in the past.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, QR Gold, CX Silver, ITA Executive, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold

Correct me if I am wrong, IIRC, earlier in 2021, I have asked the immigration department about the 2-hour rule and they mentioned it being the "ticketed time", ie, scheduled arrival/ departure time. They also said the 2-hour rule applied to transit as well because the pax will have been "in contact" with the people from the UK no matter whether you are landside or airside.

Back in March 2020, I flew back to Hong Kong via Germany (at that time it is not required for UK arrivals to quarantine, but yes for EU countries) and during the immigration process, I was basically told the same thing about transit means in contact with the locals = you have "technically" been to the place.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
Both the UK and HK count transits as 'being' in a place, unless you remain on the plane and no new pax get on (tech stops).
It's counted from the STA of flight 1 to STD of flight 2.

Despite this, it is highly likely that BA will just suspend their LHR-HKG route for pax, like in the past.
OK this is actually useful (why is it not spelled out that clearly in public!!!)
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Right, but until you cross a border, you are inherently not 'in' a place.... legally.
This can't be right. If you were (hypothetically) to murder someone while you were in a T5 lounge, which country's police force do you think would arrest you?
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This can't be right. If you were (hypothetically) to murder someone while you were in a T5 lounge, which country's police force do you think would arrest you?
the BAEC police, you loose status and the lounge dragons kick you out....

Last edited by PGberkshire; Jun 28, 2021 at 11:17 am
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Interesting one. Of course they would.
However if I arrive at T5 withou a visa, I can be refused entry to the country and deported with no rights to appeal (as opposed to having those rights the moment I go landside....
And if I buy something I don't have to pay VAT....
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
However if I arrive at T5 withou a visa, I can be refused entry to the country and deported with no rights to appeal (as opposed to having those rights the moment I go landside....
And if I buy something I don't have to pay VAT....
Without getting all technical about this, airside is treated differently from landside as a result of the legislation of the country you are "in", even though you are airside and not landside. The law of murder makes no distinction between airside and landside at Heathrow, but immigration and VAT legislation does; in all these cases, it's the UK's laws that prescribe what happens airside or landside - because you are actually "in" the UK whether you are airside or landside.

Similarly, Hong Kong's rules are entitled to treat you as being "in" the UK even if you are only in direct airside transit at Heathrow, as well as making allowances for how the time spent "in" the UK is to be calculated.
Kgmm77 and eh220160 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 9:59 am

I'm basically assuming that the UK ban will last as long as last time (6 months), and that my planned (already rescheduled) F 2-4-1 Nov 50% off flight will be junked (hope they open up new F availiability come November as there is currently nothing to move any cancelled flights to)

I was actually hoping HKG would move towards exemptions for vaccinated travellers, especially with the recent dowgrading of the risk from the UK was optomistic that things were going in a slow but positive direction. Now its going in the opposite direction.
Given we in the UK are heading towards full vaccination, as well as further unlocking on 19 Jul, COVID will become an endemic (but hopefully low) risk but UK will never have zero COVID. Given this, will we ever be allowed to travel to Hong Kong again?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I'm basically assuming that the UK ban will last as long as last time (6 months), and that my planned (already rescheduled) F 2-4-1 Nov 50% off flight will be junked (hope they open up new F availiability come November as there is currently nothing to move any cancelled flights to)

I was actually hoping HKG would move towards exemptions for vaccinated travellers, especially with the recent dowgrading of the risk from the UK was optomistic that things were going in a slow but positive direction. Now its going in the opposite direction.
Given we in the UK are heading towards full vaccination, as well as further unlocking on 19 Jul, COVID will become an endemic (but hopefully low) risk but UK will never have zero COVID. Given this, will we ever be allowed to travel to Hong Kong again?
Just change destination to Singapore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.