Wiki Posts
Search

First cancelation terms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:19 am
Original Poster

First cancelation terms

Hi,

For a booking in First the fare terms shown during the reservation specify free cancelation (for a full refund).
(1) Where can I see these terms (or the full fare conditions) on MMB?
(2) If I have to cancel, will I receive a refund or a voucher? Following the 'cancel' option on MMB leads me to requesting a voucher.
Thank you!

Shuly
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Answering my own question: having checked with You First, when the reservation "terms and conditions" say "full refund if you cancel", they mean a voucher. In this particular case, to really be refunded (as in getting your money back), there was a $300 penalty. This is not mentioned anywhere during the reservation process, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to see the full fare rules online.

Very poor business practice.

Shuly
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I presume this is what you saw when booking? I think it could be clearer as you say with regard to refunds.

SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:01 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by shuly
Answering my own question: having checked with You First, when the reservation "terms and conditions" say "full refund if you cancel", they mean a voucher. In this particular case, to really be refunded (as in getting your money back), there was a $300 penalty. This is not mentioned anywhere during the reservation process, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to see the full fare rules online.

Very poor business practice.

Shuly
Depending on when the flight is, you can wait for the inevitable schedule change or cancellation. This will allow you to receive a full refund. I haven't had a booking in the past year that hasn't been subjected to change, sometimes comically often.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Fairly sure this would be easily challenged via the MCOL / similar processes - a full refund in other contexts doesn't mean a voucher!
Old Jun 21, 2021, 4:00 am
Original Poster

What's weird is that you can't find the fare rules on MMB (or anywhere, for that matter). I ended up booking through a travel agency that not only listed the complete fare rules, but also quoted a lower fare (about 7% less). And of course, it's fully refundable.

Shuly
Old Jun 21, 2021, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
I presume this is what you saw when booking? I think it could be clearer as you say with regard to refunds.

Nope. What I saw was this:

And here's what You First had to say:
Thank you for your quick reply. The fare rules of your ticket are only displayed when you are making the booking on ba.com I'm afraid.

I have checked the rules and the flights are refundable minus 300USD. There is no change fee on the ticket, just any difference in fare and tax. Your booking is also covered under our Book with Confidence policy which means you can claim a voucher for the full amount if you do not wish to travel. If we cancel one of your flights, you are entitled to a full refund or a free rebooking within our cancellation policy.
Shuly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.