BA codeshare added to Teesside-Heathrow

Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Is this not just standard routing? I'm pretty sure the LHR-NCL flights follow a similar route...
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm not an expert but in essence the length of the UK is split into a northbound (west side) and southbound (east side) corridors. So it's the M6 north, A1 south. Doubtless there is a more techy answer available.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, basically the north/south airways from London are mostly over the western side of the UK. - the black arrows show the direction of each airways. Sorry, I know this is a bit of a complex chart but hopefully shows this.

The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm not an expert but in essence the length of the UK is split into a northbound (west side) and southbound (east side) corridors. So it's the M6 north, A1 south.
It's the other way around, surely?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's the other way around, surely?
I don't think so unliess I've explained it badly. Perhaps you can be more specific?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:29 am

I have believed, on the basis of a book read many years ago, that airways were bidirectional, with flights in opposing direction separated vertically by 1000 feet. For example, northbound flights are assigned an even number of thousands of feet, southbound an odd number (or vice versa). East and west get the odd 500s.

The reason most most north-south and south-north flights follow the M6 rather than the A1 is to avoid Lincolnshire and its relatively unpredictable military aviation.

There may some amongst us with ATC experience who can confirm this (or explain why I am spouting nonsense).
gallagher likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I don't think so unliess I've explained it badly. Perhaps you can be more specific?
Isn't it that the northbound routes are more on the eastern side of the country (the A1 side), and the southbound routes are on the western side (ie the M6 side)? The chart that KARFA posted seems to accord with my recollection.

I hope I haven't got my left and right muddled up.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
KARFA’s chart slightly over-complicates matters, as it shows all the Upper Air routes (above FL245).

Try this one, which shows the ‘spine’ of the Airways (London-Prestwick) below FL245 in grey.

https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/de...-18jul2019.pdf
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

trying to recall all my domestic flights to and from edi to lhr and lgw
Going south we seemed to be more west ( ie towards the coast and liverpool) and then heading north we were more towards Manchester.
it was rare that we flew further east towards the east coast of the uk.

Regards
tbs
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Just a few things on this service:
  • The BA codeshare is not currently bookable on the summer timetable for the 06:50 flight out of Teesside or the return back at around 08:50, apparently this is being fixed (it works ok for the winter timetable).
  • The codeshare flight numbers look all over the place (I am not sure that BA4076 should be on MME>LHR as typically it would be odd numbers for such a flight - unless codeshares do not follow the same format as BA metal flights).
  • It is not currently possible to book a BA holiday with these flights (unlike the BA/LM codeshares from IOM).
I have used this route 5 times each-way in the last month or so and despite no on board service ("to protect our customers"), Loganair's flight is super quick with the return flight often only 45 minutes long (and then literally 3 minutes from landing you can be in the car). Teesside has super modern scanners (as per AMS) but the business lounge has not yet opened after refurbishment (the holiday lounge has) although the terminal bar staff offer a very proactive food and drinks service. Unfortunately as this flight uses LHR T2, you are faced with the long walk to the Heathrow Express/TFL rail if you are getting the train into London.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't it that the northbound routes are more on the eastern side of the country (the A1 side), and the southbound routes are on the western side (ie the M6 side)? The chart that KARFA posted seems to accord with my recollection.

I hope I haven't got my left and right muddled up.
I suspect we need an ATC chappie or chappess on here rather than this ungifted amateur. But usually going to MME or NCL you follow the M6 up to around Stoke, then swing over Leeds and through to Darlington. Whereas leaving NCL or MME you at least start close to the A1 (rather than going over to say Carlisle) and then down to the Birmingham - Oxford area. Occasionally we get a Peterborough routing ("we've found a short cut"). -
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Follow the main routes, and then take the 'stubs'. Everything east of the main airways is "Indian County", aka full of largely uncontrolled Military activity.

KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
I suspect we need an ATC chappie or chappess on here rather than this ungifted amateur. But usually going to MME or NCL you follow the M6 up to around Stoke, then swing over Leeds and through to Darlington. Whereas leaving NCL or MME you at least start close to the A1 (rather than going over to say Carlisle) and then down to the Birmingham - Oxford area. Occasionally we get a Peterborough routing ("we've found a short cut"). -
It looks like currently northbound LHR to NME flights are roughly following the M1, and southbound taking the M6

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/lm560
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Just a few things on this service:
  • The BA codeshare is not currently bookable on the summer timetable for the 06:50 flight out of Teesside or the return back at around 08:50, apparently this is being fixed (it works ok for the winter timetable).
  • The codeshare flight numbers look all over the place (I am not sure that BA4076 should be on MME>LHR as typically it would be odd numbers for such a flight - unless codeshares do not follow the same format as BA metal flights).
  • It is not currently possible to book a BA holiday with these flights (unlike the BA/LM codeshares from IOM).
I have used this route 5 times each-way in the last month or so and despite no on board service ("to protect our customers"), Loganair's flight is super quick with the return flight often only 45 minutes long (and then literally 3 minutes from landing you can be in the car). Teesside has super modern scanners (as per AMS) but the business lounge has not yet opened after refurbishment (the holiday lounge has) although the terminal bar staff offer a very proactive food and drinks service. Unfortunately as this flight uses LHR T2, you are faced with the long walk to the Heathrow Express/TFL rail if you are getting the train into London.
Is there any clarity on lounge access at MME based on status / travel class when traveling on one of these BA codeshares? I'm booked on one (with onward flight in J from LHR, part of the same BA booking, 125- ticket) but when I asked BA via social media they just directed me to the Lounges page of the BA website.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by UTFB
Is there any clarity on lounge access at MME based on status / travel class when traveling on one of these BA codeshares? I'm booked on one (with onward flight in J from LHR, part of the same BA booking, 125- ticket) but when I asked BA via social media they just directed me to the Lounges page of the BA website.
Not seen anything on this yet, although with the Rockliffe lounge still not open (it looked nearly ready when I had a look about 10 days ago) nothing is happening right now. However the rule for non-OW codeshares appears to be that Gold members only (plus maybe a guest) get lounge access on a BA ticketed flight if there is a BA operated lounge at the airport/terminal in question (unless you are flying to/from DUB on EI which of course uses LHR T2). So I would think that you would not get lounge access at MME (or IOM for that matter) but happy for someone to correct me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.