Wiki Posts
Search

transit through LHR from red country

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Quite. But the fact remains a lot of useful information gets shared on here which isn't easily found or obvious on government channels. Otherwise what's the point of anyone asking questions or posting a response?
I think this is the key for me. In this case (as the OP), I have looked and read about everything I could find from BA, UK government and LHR sites. I was hoping for a bit of first hand experience since the implementation can often be very different from what is in the printed word. Also, the information on all of the sites I have seen seems heavy on arrivals and VERY thin on transit situations. I'd be thrilled if someone, anyone could point me in a direction of better information - a link or description, anything - that is better than the official sites I've look at. Hoping maybe I missed one?

Thanks for all of the thoughts nad advice. If nothing else, it gives me some ideas of gotchas to look for in my further research
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
It wasn't a direct dig or snark at you or any individual otherwise I'd have quoted the offending post. It was more a general observation that within 3 or 4 posts there was wildly conflicting information. Someone had to have it wrong. It serves no purpose or is useful to anyone for something that's pretty important to get right. That's not something I'd want to be finding out at the airport about when I'm denied boarding because I'd assumed the wrong advice. It was a general annoyance that if you don't know the answer then don't post, that's all.
I am not sure that is a negative really. People generally post in good faith and I think usually believe the answer or advice they are giving is correct. The strength of FT is the amount of knowledge and practical experience that is here, and that there is a very rapid process of peer review built upon that - so very quickly others can share their knowledge and any answers refined to a correct version. I wouldn't want the forum to become just a few "super users" who can post answers, with others feeling they can't post unless they are absolutely sure of their ground.

I am sure we have all got things wrong in the past, even me sometimes But I know it was always corrected by someone else fairly quickly and no harm was done.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MFCC
Transiting is fine.
Currently BA flights from red list countries arrive at T5C and are met by ICTS security staff.
Pax with onward boarding passes for connections that day are let off the aircraft first, and connect through T5 as ‘normal’. You must have an onward boarding pass for your next flight and it must be the same day. I believe you also have to complete the UK PLF but I’m not sure on that.
Pax terminating at LHR are then released from the aircraft, walked down to busses and taken to T3 where they will be landed and taken to hotels.
What is to stop someone holding an onward boarding pass from getting off the plane as if they have a connection and then deciding not to travel onwards and joining those exiting as if from an amber or green country?
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
There you go.. it took me 30 seconds to find this..

Connecting to destinations in the Rest of World
For destinations in the rest of the world (outside the Common Travel Area), you won’t need to stop your journey. You’re still able to connect flights at London Heathrow, Gatwick or any other UK airport, but you must stay airside (do not pass border control) and go straight through Flight Connections. If you do not pass border control, you will not need to quarantine. You still need to comply with the entry requirements for your final destination.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ents#resources

The _Banking_Scot and aj411 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:49 pm

No idea tbh. I like to think someone has thought about that and made contingencies but I doubt they have.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
What is to stop someone holding an onward boarding pass from getting off the plane as if they have a connection and then deciding not to travel onwards and joining those exiting as if from an amber or green country?
From my own observations, there's a team of Border Force agents at the top of the jetty checking boarding passes, passports and PLF, before allowing you to the terminal. I'm guessing g if you then pitched up at immigration, there would some flag pop up against your name. Awkward questions would probably ensue.
bluemoon68 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:21 am
Original Poster

I found the BA info. It all sounds neat and clean but compared to what has been reported as happening currently (long lines, confusion, crowds and far from social distancing, etc) and the reports of all flights from red countries moving to a separate terminal arrival, I was kind of looking for more a realistic idea of what to expect.
Are they checking you as you come off the plane for connection versus arrival? Is this slowing down the process? Is there going to be good transportation airside between terminals? Are those crowded and timely? Can you still expect to make connections? The Heathrow Connections tool doesnt seem particularly helpful right now. Hopefully, they will update this with a bit more info as this looks to be heading towards "standard practice" for the forseeable future.
Right now, our flight would come into 5 and leave from 5 so that would probably work. If they move all red country arrivals to another terminal, that puts a major wrench in a fairly tight connection

Net (adn why I have questions), the information I can find doesn't really say anything about how this is going to work in practice.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:52 am

I've only worked one red zone flight, but this is how it works from a cabin crew perspective. Aircraft arrives at T5. Door opens, announcement made for all connecting passengers to leave the aircraft. Announcement made several times and passengers at the door quizzed by crew if they are connecting, and promptly asked to return to their seats. We know from the passenger list how many people are connecting, and are counting them.off, when we hit the magic number, we signal the HAL staff who then get set up for terminating pax. Once we get the all clear we disembark a few rows at a time, we are limited to 30 passengers per bus. Passengers head up the jetty, are directed down the stairs, and onto awaiting buses and head over to T3. Terminating pax never enter T5 and are kept separate from everyone else. Transit passengers will make their own way to flight connections and be processed as normal. Transit passengers will have their documentation checked by border force on leaving the aircraft. Hope that helps
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks. This is very useful. I think once you are off the plane as a connecting passenger and on your way the rest of the process is as normal, so over to T5A on the transit or walk in the tunnels, follow the signs for flight connections T5, a bp and document check, and then up to south security. I don’t think that connections process is any slower than normal - in fact it may be slightly quicker as there are so few people connecting at the moment and security is fairly quiet.

The reported long queues are all for arrivals which are separate to connections, and for INT-INT connections the OP will not go through immigration.
aj411 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwaflyer
I've only worked one red zone flight, but this is how it works from a cabin crew perspective. Aircraft arrives at T5. Door opens, announcement made for all connecting passengers to leave the aircraft. Announcement made several times and passengers at the door quizzed by crew if they are connecting, and promptly asked to return to their seats. We know from the passenger list how many people are connecting, and are counting them.off, when we hit the magic number, we signal the HAL staff who then get set up for terminating pax. Once we get the all clear we disembark a few rows at a time, we are limited to 30 passengers per bus. Passengers head up the jetty, are directed down the stairs, and onto awaiting buses and head over to T3. Terminating pax never enter T5 and are kept separate from everyone else. Transit passengers will make their own way to flight connections and be processed as normal. Transit passengers will have their documentation checked by border force on leaving the aircraft. Hope that helps
HUGE help!! Thank you!
poupre likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So once people from a red country say they are connecting, they are realised to mingle with passengers from other countries. And there is still the potential risk they could dump their connecting ticket and head for the exit?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
So once people from a red country say they are connecting, they are realised to mingle with passengers from other countries. And there is still the potential risk they could dump their connecting ticket and head for the exit?
Well the airline is supposed to have checked the passengers PLF which should say they are a transit passenger, which would link to their passport number, and when they get to the border they are supposed to declare they have been in a red list country. Same as any arrival who could arrive at T5 (or T2) indirectly and is allowed to travel on flights 'mixing' with other passengers. Perhaps someone could try to lie on the PLF in the hope the airline don't read it fully, either as a direct or indirect arrival. If they try and evade hotel quarantine they could get fined £10000 and up to 10 years in jail, although we are all aware those maximums would probably never be handed out. Yes the system requires a bit of morality in society. Also see the risk of fake vaccination documents and fake covid tests amongst passengers you might be 'mingling with'.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

I sort of thought the same thing about the "mingling" but was afraid to raise that point in case someone noticed. :-) On our transit US>LHR>CAI, we have a fairly lengthy layover and I don't want someone to get the idea that we can't go to the Concorde Terrace. As more travelers come through, I wonder if they would come up with an airside quarantine area. Other countries that allow transit haven't done that I have heard but leave it to the UK.

Please understand, I am planning on distancing, masking, etc to be as careful and respectful as possible but I'd still like to transit without too many unneccesary hoops. Quarantining us with other transit passengers seems just about as bad as having us "mingle" with those initiating travel at LHR
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by aj411
I sort of thought the same thing about the "mingling" but was afraid to raise that point in case someone noticed. :-) On our transit US>LHR>CAI, we have a fairly lengthy layover and I don't want someone to get the idea that we can't go to the Concorde Terrace. As more travelers come through, I wonder if they would come up with an airside quarantine area. Other countries that allow transit haven't done that I have heard but leave it to the UK.

Please understand, I am planning on distancing, masking, etc to be as careful and respectful as possible but I'd still like to transit without too many unneccesary hoops. Quarantining us with other transit passengers seems just about as bad as having us "mingle" with those initiating travel at LHR
There is no airside quarantine area at LHR, thus you would be able to access the Concorde Terrace if you are a GGL member or flying First Class in one of the legs.

You would mix with passengers joining at LHR.
The _Banking_Scot and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
This GOV website says something else:

uk gov

Transiting through the UK

Before travel to the UK

If you will be transiting through the UK, you need to do the following before you travel to the UK:
If you will be transiting landside through the UK, you need to do the following when you complete your passenger locator form.
  • select ‘Stay in the UK’ under the Your travel plans section
  • reply ‘No’ to any questions about whether you are required to complete COVID-19 tests on arrival
  • reply ‘No’ to the question ‘Have you visited a Red List country within the past 10 days and/or are required by law to quarantine in a government approved facility?’

When you transit through the UK

You do not need to quarantine or take a COVID-19 test on arrival or on day 2 and day 8.

This applies if you are transiting ‘airside’ or ‘landside’.

There are different rules for Scotland.

If you are transiting landside (entering the UK from outside the Common Travel Area), you must be entering the UK for the sole purposes of continuing a journey to a country outside of the Common Travel Area. You must either:
  • remain within your port of entry until your departure from England, or
  • travel directly from your port of entry to another port of departure in England

Red list countries

If you are transiting within the CTA, and you have been in a red list country in the previous 10 days, then you are required to enter into managed quarantine at your port of entry. This applies whether transiting airside or landside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.