Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DO: SOF-USA West Coast TP Run July-August 2022

DO: SOF-USA West Coast TP Run July-August 2022

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 4, 21, 10:52 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Nephoi
Wiki Link
DO STATUS: DO #1 SEATTLE/EVERETT & DO #2 LOS ANGELES BOOKABLE

Please add your usernames below if you are planning or considering to join the DO.
If you want to remain anonymous, please send me ( ISTFlyer ) a PM and I would add you in the list. Unless, you specifically request me to add you in to the list with your username, I would only mention you as Anonymous member.

Organizing Committee:

ISTFlyer
Nephoi

Members Planning to Join:

PGberkshire
Vintagepilot
flyingroundtheworld
midvid
wilsnunn
Efincomputer
Tocsin
Lenis
AlphaXray
Cymro
Reetmafreen
Simon Schus
camdentown
HPN-HRL
shl +1
nh1980

Total Number of People Planning to Join: something around 25

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 12, 21, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
i wont be that pessimistic with the Summer 22 schedule... the world will be a different in SUmmer 22.Drasticly speaking either there will be a significant touristic travel across the world or there wont be any BAEC to get TP from.
once international travel is open again, they will load additional flights. there is a lot of sense in keeping the flight schedule low. cheap fare classes will be sold out and anyone who HAS to book now, has to give a lot of cash.
Old Jun 12, 21, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by onobond View Post
Thanks to @ISTFlyer for the effort to start this thread and organizing one, or more likely, many DOs. Personally I can't decide available weeks to travel in July/August next year yet, but in a couple of months, (i.e.before my two scheduled ex-SOF trips ultimo Aug and medio Sept), it's probably more clear. I would certainly like to join.

The comparison with the lengthy, and very diverse, schedule of the different flight patterns of the 70+ participants in the PHX DO is tough. OTP at that time was served every day of the week, and many (most?) days with two flights, and with present flight schedule available, and the fare departure restrictions, the departure ex SOF will be limited to the only flight on a Wednesday only.

As soon as I ave the opportunity, I'll fill out the poll, and announce participation in this thread too. Sadly, my location is not compatible with bus/train travel to SOF, so I'll probably have to pass the Pre-DO party in SOF on the day before departure .

See you next July/August !
Thank you onobond ,

Unfortunately, SOF is served x5 weekly and with the Saturday night stay requirement and the TATL legs restricted to Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday's on the westbound and to Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's on the eastbound, we don't have that many choice as you mentioned. A Monday departure would make the trip at least 10 days and as well as a Wednesday departure from the USA arriving at Sofia on Friday afternoon so we are mostly limited to Wednesday departures and arrivals with the current schedule. At least the good thing is that there is no "I" fare bucket availability required for the LHR-SOF & SOF-LHR legs. I guess we would have a 12-14 row CE on those flights.

Originally Posted by Nephoi View Post
i wont be that pessimistic with the Summer 22 schedule... the world will be a different in SUmmer 22.Drasticly speaking either there will be a significant touristic travel across the world or there wont be any BAEC to get TP from.
once international travel is open again, they will load additional flights. there is a lot of sense in keeping the flight schedule low. cheap fare classes will be sold out and anyone who HAS to book now, has to give a lot of cash.
Yes, we would see travel recovering and cheap fares would be sold out in advance. There wouldn't be wide availability like Summer 2021.

However, I don't think that BA would use additional Heathrow slots to Sofia; they would most likely use those remaining slots to Faro or Spain which BA adore.
LCSinTexas and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 12, 21, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Thank you onobond ,

Unfortunately, SOF is served x5 weekly and with the Saturday night stay requirement and the TATL legs restricted to Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday's on the westbound and to Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's on the eastbound, we don't have that many choice as you mentioned. A Monday departure would make the trip at least 10 days and as well as a Wednesday departure from the USA arriving at Sofia on Friday afternoon so we are mostly limited to Wednesday departures and arrivals with the current schedule. At least the good thing is that there is no "I" fare bucket availability required for the LHR-SOF & SOF-LHR legs. I guess we would have a 12-14 row CE on those flights.

Yes, we would see travel recovering and cheap fares would be sold out in advance. There wouldn't be wide availability like Summer 2021.

However, I don't think that BA would use additional Heathrow slots to Sofia; they would most likely use those remaining slots to Faro or Spain which BA adore.

maybe we all are lucky and a nice fare pops up from a destination which is easier to travel to (and maybe even allows an DEPCITY-HEL-LHR-JFK routing) like CDG, BER, BCN or the usual suspects in Scandinavia - i deffo want to go back to ARN and the 747 hotel - i once slept in the mainframe but i want to sleep in a engine or the cockpit
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 12, 21, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
maybe we all are lucky and a nice fare pops up from a destination which is easier to travel to (and maybe even allows an DEPCITY-HEL-LHR-JFK routing) like CDG, BER, BCN or the usual suspects in Scandinavia - i deffo want to go back to ARN and the 747 hotel - i once slept in the mainframe but i want to sleep in a engine or the cockpit
Who knows?
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jun 12, 21, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I filled out the survey, though assuming the dates work Ill be flying from PHX.

That said its pretty difficult to know what works that far out or how many guests might join.

I hope it works out and that Ill be able to join.
Geordie405, Nephoi and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 12, 21, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I am certainly interested (and form filled out) however I feel that the rigidity of this may make it difficult. I know that in the past when DOs have happened, they have been a bit more organic and this has worked well for many people. And that could still facilitate the events being planned as there are so many flights (on LHR-JFK for exmaple). Also, there is absolutely no way that I can commit to a specific week in summer neat year at this point.
Nephoi and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 12, 21, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dylanks View Post

That said its pretty difficult to know what works that far out or how many guests might join.

Originally Posted by wilsnunn View Post
I am certainly interested (and form filled out) however I feel that the rigidity of this may make it difficult. I know that in the past when DOs have happened, they have been a bit more organic and this has worked well for many people. And that could still facilitate the events being planned as there are so many flights (on LHR-JFK for exmaple). Also, there is absolutely no way that I can commit to a specific week in summer neat year at this point.
Both of your poll responses have been recorded and I could now see them.
I know it's difficult to predict dates in advance but to score discounted fare availability, advanced planning is required.

dylanks , assuming that you could purchase the AA/AS legs individually, you could at least join the parts in the USA and the domestic flights.

wilsnunn , I know it's really difficult to speculate dates from now, I even don't know what dates I'll be available, however, there are weeks that 40% of the members who filled out the form is not available and there are multiple weeks that 85+% of the members who filled out the form is available. At least, it gives an idea about selecting the dates.

There would be a main DO itinerary which would be selected and obviously the availability of side alternatives would definitely be considered including the TATL legs and the TCON legs so people could create their own desired itinerary if they don't want to take the main routing.

Also there were some members, who suggested to do 2 runs in different dates and I am also considering that as an option. One of them has offered me to do 2 nested runs ( 2 consecutive weeks with a turnaround at SOF ) so we might even have 3 alternatives.

Of course, I am collecting data at the moment and your suggestions are taken into consideration.

I have also received some form responses within the last 2 hours and here are some points, I currently have more than 10 responses,

- In addition to Las Vegas, Phoenix was also considered by a member as the main DO destination.
- If multiple DO's happen, at least two of the DO's would have a different destination.
- There is still no actual leader in the destination choice, all three suggested destinations are really close to each other. The current leading destination is only 2 votes away from the last destination.
- There was a comment regarding immigration lines and short connections; I would consider long immigration lines upon arriving at the USA and try to allow at least 2 hours if we would have a direct connection after arriving at the USA.
Old Jun 12, 21, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
We all hope your positive predictions as per possible departure cities will come true.

I can't recall, but did either of AY or IB have fligths BCN-HEL? Presently neither of them have flights from either BCN or MAD to HEL.

Although I only saw the Jumbo Hostel @arn from the outside, but given the choice, I'd be more happy to overnight in the pointy end of a flying 747 going eastward from JFK. Sadly, the Queen of the Skies era is now history. Personally, I was more sad to see my GUFed 747 F going, than the re-booking or refunding of the complete trips
Old Jun 12, 21, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by dylanks View Post

I'm in a similar situation, as I would be joining this gathering from somewhere in the US (if it fits my schedule). I had a great time at the PHX Do, even though I did not join anyone on their flights.

My current plan for summer 2022 is to go to Alaska in late June for a cruise and some other touristy stuff, followed by some TP running in the US/Caribbean/etc during July and another cruise in the middle of August. If this DO is held in July 2022 I will try to fit it into my TP plans.

I started to fill out the survey but did not complete it, as most questions do not really apply to my situation.
dylanks likes this.
Old Jun 12, 21, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL View Post
I'm in a similar situation, as I would be joining this gathering from somewhere in the US (if it fits my schedule). I had a great time at the PHX Do, even though I did not join anyone on their flights.

My current plan for summer 2022 is to go to Alaska in late June for a cruise and some other touristy stuff, followed by some TP running in the US/Caribbean/etc during July and another cruise in the middle of August. If this DO is held in July 2022 I will try to fit it into my TP plans.

I started to fill out the survey but did not complete it, as most questions do not really apply to my situation.
Thank you for your comment and interest,

I would most likely create another survey for US based members or for those who would only join the activities, after the dates have been precise.
If you have anything to add or have recommendations, I could add them manually to the results if you send me a PM.

You are definitely welcome to join to part of the events and flights.
More details would be available in the summer or fall 2021.

Edit: Broken sentence corrected
LCSinTexas likes this.

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Jun 12, 21 at 3:40 pm
Old Jun 12, 21, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
At last, something to look forward to! Thanks, ISTFlyer - I hope to join in, poll completed.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 21, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tocsin View Post
At last, something to look forward to! Thanks, ISTFlyer - I hope to join in, poll completed.
Just received your answers, thank you.
Hope to see you in the DO.
Old Jun 13, 21, 2:44 am

Maybe I will also join...depends of dates and situation....
Nephoi and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 13, 21, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks ISTFlyer for giving us this opportunity 👍

To add more to this, the selection of dates is in prime UK school holidays so it might not work for me (and potentially have some impact on fares).

In terms of destination, Im easy but when I looked at the ex PAR fare there were some quite interesting West Coast smaller places (eg Bosemont) included as the end point that might provide a bit of a variety? And dependent on how US TP runs work create a novel start point?

Lastly, as a non-frequent flyer, and I know we cant predict this, I would quite like to experience as many different hard/soft products as feasible to broaden my experiences.

Great initiative and it will be impossible to please everyone so if you need any help at any point, do ask.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 21, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Garimi View Post
Maybe I will also join...depends of dates and situation....
You're very welcome to join

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel View Post
Thanks ISTFlyer for giving us this opportunity 👍

To add more to this, the selection of dates is in prime UK school holidays so it might not work for me (and potentially have some impact on fares).

In terms of destination, Im easy but when I looked at the ex PAR fare there were some quite interesting West Coast smaller places (eg Bosemont) included as the end point that might provide a bit of a variety? And dependent on how US TP runs work create a novel start point?

Lastly, as a non-frequent flyer, and I know we cant predict this, I would quite like to experience as many different hard/soft products as feasible to broaden my experiences.

Great initiative and it will be impossible to please everyone so if you need any help at any point, do ask.
Thank you SavvyTravel for your post and filling out the poll. I have just received your responses.

There were also other members who didn't think flying during UK school holidays so I have also taken this into consideration.

For the small destination suggestion, for destinations like Bozeman ( I think you meant Bozeman, Montana ), the problem is that there are only few regional jet flights from LAX that I could fit into the run. Bozeman only has one daily flight from LAX on Alaska ( AA doesn't have service there ), and if 6 seats out of 12 are open to "I" fare, this means that only a very small portion could spend time with the main group unless people agree to fly Economy on that leg which means 20 Tier Points less. That's why I would prioritize a larger city which would allow more availability and more alternative flights. I've got a very nice suggestion about a regional destination and I am considering it, that regional destination is 1h-1h30minute from a major international airport which could be a viable alternative depending on the situation.

For the different soft/hard product part, I am also considering the same thing. That's why I asked the preferred routings of people at the poll. You would most likely experience unique products and lounges during the DO. Every small detail is taken into consideration.

Also thanks for the help offer and if there is anything I might need from you, I would be in touch.
LCSinTexas and SavvyTravel like this.

Search this Thread