Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DO: SOF-USA West Coast TP Run July-August 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2021, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nephoi
DO STATUS: DO #1 SEATTLE/EVERETT & DO #2 LOS ANGELES BOOKABLE

Please add your usernames below if you are planning or considering to join the DO.
If you want to remain anonymous, please send me ( ISTFlyer ) a PM and I would add you in the list. Unless, you specifically request me to add you in to the list with your username, I would only mention you as Anonymous member.

Organizing Committee:

ISTFlyer
Nephoi

Members Planning to Join:

PGberkshire
Vintagepilot
flyingroundtheworld
midvid
wilsnunn
Efincomputer
Tocsin
Lenis
AlphaXray
Cymro
Reetmafreen
Simon Schus
camdentown
HPN-HRL
shl +1
nh1980

Total Number of People Planning to Join: something around 25

Print Wikipost

DO: SOF-USA West Coast TP Run July-August 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:18 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Awesome, great idea ISTFlyer....poll submitted.

really really really want to plane spot from the TWA hotel...that alone is reason enough to do the trip
ENTP and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:26 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Am I the only one confused by DO organising without a fare? A DO is built around the fare NOT the other way round.

Also using words like permitted?
pjh981 and aks120 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by teledude
Am I the only one confused by DO organising without a fare? A DO is built around the fare NOT the other way round.

The fare is there and available: The fare is INX1C1S4
The bookings would be done 330 days before the confirmed departure date when AA opens inventory for the flights and the routings on the specific chosen flights.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The fare is there and available: The fare is INX1C1S4
The bookings would be done 330 days before the confirmed departure date when AA opens inventory for the flights and the routings on the specific chosen flights.
You telling me that fare will 100% exist at 330 days?
Flying Yazata and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Not 100% but without advanced planning, it would be impossible to accommodate a large group.
When I look at 330 days later than today's date, I see wide "I" fare bucket availability on routes like LHR-JFK on BA, JFK-LAX on AA, etc...
LCSinTexas and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Poll completed. TWA hotel is a good option for westbound as it removes any problem with a short connection at JFK, US immigration, non-GE etc.

There might be an error in the last routing question - should this be LHR-JFK-SFO-SEA?

LHR-(BA)-JFK-(A321T)-SEA-(AA Domestic First or Alaska)-SEA
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
the fare has been around for years. it would be suprising if they pull it in the next 8 weeks - although i thought that seeing this thread wont increase the chance of still being bookable... or at least they will try to earn another 50 GBP or so
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 3:37 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold

so is that a no from you?
LCSinTexas, dougzz, H2L and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Firstly credit to @ISTFlyer for the huge amount of work gone into this but @teledude raises a good point.
The last PHX do had 70+ people attend.
It was proposed on the basis of filed fare that was bookable at the time. There were never going to be 70 'I' class fares available, let alone 70 seats on a particular flight so there were a myriad of routings we all used to get to the end point PHX, and half the fun was seeing the different routings and arranging meet-ups at connection points.

It would be great if this could be made to work but for what looks like a tour group booking where everyone will be booking separately, do take into consideration the following:
- Limited 'I' class availability and number of business class seats per aircraft
- Logistics of re-routings due to cancellations when the same number of seats may not be available on other flights
- Although the fare is filed currently, it can be removed at any time, and we know BA keep an eye on this forum
- Next July is outside the current book with confidence policy.
Nephoi and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Is that some rule you've made up? I've been on plenty os "Do's" where the fare has never been mentioned. Somebody arranges a place to meet, people make their way there!
H2L and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Is that some rule you've made up? I've been on plenty os "Do's" where the fare has never been mentioned. Somebody arranges a place to meet, people make their way there!
You aren't going to get alot of people anywhere without a cheap J deal. It's just a fact
pjh981 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcuk
Firstly credit to @ISTFlyer for the huge amount of work gone into this but @teledude raises a good point.
The last PHX do had 70+ people attend.
It was proposed on the basis of filed fare that was bookable at the time. There were never going to be 70 'I' class fares available, let alone 70 seats on a particular flight so there were a myriad of routings we all used to get to the end point PHX, and half the fun was seeing the different routings and arranging meet-ups at connection points.

It would be great if this could be made to work but for what looks like a tour group booking where everyone will be booking separately, do take into consideration the following:
- Limited 'I' class availability and number of business class seats per aircraft
- Logistics of re-routings due to cancellations when the same number of seats may not be available on other flights
- Although the fare is filed currently, it can be removed at any time, and we know BA keep an eye on this forum
- Next July is outside the current book with confidence policy.
Thanks for the post and suggestions
- I am aware of limited "I" fare class availability and if we have excessive demand ( over 20-25 people ) most likely, we would have multiple combinations for the same date. Currently the demand I received is around 10 people so I don't think that would be an issue at this time, even in rebookings.
- Yes, BA might remove the fare anytime, I am aware of that; at that time, the plan would be modified accordingly to another fare. In case of that, I would still have the survey results and the plan so I would have idea, regarding the preferred routings and activities of the community.
-The BwC ending at April 2022 is a nice mention.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
despite the answers being a little bit snappy, there is a point. there wont be a lot of I class inventory on the TATL and LHR-SOF-LHR legs so we might have to split up. maybe we divide us into Team Alpha and Team Bravo

on the other topic: there are no rules on a DO.

just do what ever you want. but you cant claim attending at a DO when you stay at another hotel, fly with other flights/airlines and go to another city.. of course there are "rules" and therefore there are things that are "permitted" or "forbidden". but at the end of the day youre a grown up boy/girl, you whatever you want, join whoever you want. youre welcome at anytime. im really really excited to get to know you all. you have been a really highlight in the last 15 months of that goddamn pandemic.
LCSinTexas, H2L, ISTFlyer and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses in the poll at this time;

Before revealing some data from the poll, I would wait other intending members to fill out the poll; if you are intending or thinking to join the DO, please fill out the poll whenever you have time: https://forms.gle/odcL8bbxxAz1nxFdA

Although, I would reveal that many of us have similar preferences in terms of hotel chains and activities and there are dates that more than 80% of the people who filled the survey are available.

The hard decision would be to choose the destination as all three suggested destinations are having close results. I have also got the suggestion for Las Vegas which I might add to the survey if more people are interested in that.

Someone else has also mentioned Hawaii/Alaska but unfortunately that is not possible with the currently available fare, although I would consider that for future DO's and events if there are decent fares.
LCSinTexas and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Thanks to @ISTFlyer for the effort to start this thread and organizing one, or more likely, many DOs. Personally I can't decide available weeks to travel in July/August next year yet, but in a couple of months, (i.e.before my two scheduled ex-SOF trips ultimo Aug and medio Sept), it's probably more clear. I would certainly like to join.

The comparison with the lengthy, and very diverse, schedule of the different flight patterns of the 70+ participants in the PHX DO is tough. OTP at that time was served every day of the week, and many (most?) days with two flights, and with present flight schedule available, and the fare departure restrictions, the departure ex SOF will be limited to the only flight on a Wednesday only.

As soon as I ave the opportunity, I'll fill out the poll, and announce participation in this thread too. Sadly, my location is not compatible with bus/train travel to SOF, so I'll probably have to pass the Pre-DO party in SOF on the day before departure .

See you next July/August !
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.