BA and Portugal

Old Jun 3, 21, 7:02 am

Cue mass exodus from the Algarve before arrivals go amber. BA one-way fares FAO-LHR currently around the £120 mark for travel before 07JUN
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by jsdickinson View Post
Well looks like we need someone to start selling a day 8 test. Already have my day 2 test ready to go. Shame it's gone to amber but we were always taking a risk travelling at the moment
Randox sell a day 8 for this very reason.
jsdickinson likes this.
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:06 am

It's also been reported in The Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...ases-holidays/
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Azure
Thanks, I was struggling to see it on their site
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond.
Oh dear :-( Shall I wait for BAH to start cancelling my flights before trying to get my money back in money and not Vouchers!
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:12 am

Seeing as there were quite a few extra flights added LHR to FAO, what is the view as to if any or many will be cancelled Sun 6th? I guess it's a double edged sword, in that many may cancel going, but I'm assuming that most if not all of the flights will leave LHR as planned due to increased demand to get back before quarantine kicks in? If that assumption in wrong, when would BA likely cancel the flights?
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Presumably those without kids and an ability to work from home with a test to release on day five may well continue with their plans...
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'll be one of those continuing with my plans. The two of us spent £300 only yesterday on tests. If we don't travel these will be wasted. If I do travel then I think I'll need to spend another £300 on more tests. I'm only going for 4 days, so £600 on tests is extreme, but I want my break. I'll have to work from home for 2 extra days which is far from ideal, but I'll accept it. More annoying is not being able to visit the pub next weekend.

FWIW I still think there is chance this might go onto a watchlist. If it does not, it makes a mockery of having a watchlist.
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by kingcole974 View Post
FWIW I still think there is chance this might go onto a watchlist. If it does not, it makes a mockery of having a watchlist.
From 4am Tuesday the Beeb reported.
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
The whole system is a mess...AGAIN!
Malta should definitely be green, it has lower cases and high vaccinations than the UK. It doesn’t hold a risk.
The local view is mixed, if you read the comments here >>> https://timesofmalta.com/articles/vi...ls-hall.876425
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
The whole system is a mess...AGAIN!

What happened to the ‘Green Watchlist’, why arent there more ‘Green’ countries?

If they remove Portugal and don’t add anything else, then the industry is screwed.

Malta should definitely be green, it has lower cases and high vaccinations than the UK. It doesn’t hold a risk.
They got a beating in the press by having slept on India (or, rather, by not wanting to hurt the trade negotiations) and now they're knee-jerking. The system is opaque, unclear and messy: this was meant to be.
LCY8737 and Deckter like this.
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Azure
I guess it also depends on how serious you take the "You should not travel to amber list countries or territories." on the UK Gov site
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:33 am

What I still find unsettling are the non rules about whether you can go on holiday to an amber country or not. It was straight forward previously as it was illegal, but now it's just left up to individuals to decide. The rules/advice remains very unclear and I think I'll be going too.
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm going to Antigua in July and I'll make it work on the return. I can't see anything going green by early July and I can get insurance, I'm young-ish (but luckily enough to have had double jab early) so that's my decision made.
HNL1K and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 3, 21, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jsdickinson View Post
I guess it also depends on how serious you take the "You should not travel to amber list countries or territories." on the UK Gov site
Originally Posted by northeastflyer View Post
What I still find unsettling are the non rules about whether you can go on holiday to an amber country or not. It was straight forward previously as it was illegal, but now it's just left up to individuals to decide. The rules/advice remains very unclear and I think I'll be going too.
Exactly our quandary. JE is relaxed about vaccinated Pax returning from Amber countries*, so provided BA is still operating to Antigua (BA Holidays booking, full payment due 28 Jun) we just need to treble-check our Insurance aspects. Battleface seems an option, according to a quote I got a week or so ago, but I need to look at it again more closely with the OH tomorrow.

* Test on arrival at Airport, and carry on as ‘normal’. Our Vaccine Certificates are being issued imminently!

Search this Thread