BA and Portugal

Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I have ended up booking in person laboratory tests at the airport on Saturday.

Now the next problem will be if other EU countries start banning brits like France has as this is exactly what happened when we tried to get to Portugal last Christmas. I fear ground hog day all over again!
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
I have ended up booking in person laboratory tests at the airport on Saturday.

Now the next problem will be if other EU countries start banning brits like France has as this is exactly what happened when we tried to get to Portugal last Christmas. I fear ground hog day all over again!
Good luck! Our trip is a re-creation of the trip we had booked for last new year. I'm beginning to think I'm not destined to see the Lisbon NYE fireworks...
Old Dec 17, 2021, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I've reached out to 'Visit Portugal' to see if they can clarify if a Antigen + Video Consultation is considered as valid. Qured say yes, but would be good to have an official answer after reading: Self-tests not accepted for entry into Portugal - The Portugal News

So is a self test with video consultation a self test?
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
I've reached out to 'Visit Portugal' to see if they can clarify if a Antigen + Video Consultation is considered as valid. Qured say yes, but would be good to have an official answer after reading: Self-tests not accepted for entry into Portugal - The Portugal News

My understanding of the Portuguese entry requirements is that it needs to be a lab test, I had booked a home/video test but didn't want to risk it so booked an in person test instead. Tests were checked by airline, then there was a control check point at Lisbon airport before passport control where they checked everyone's test documents.

This is what Ryanair required:
UK NHS tests, Self-collection tests / Self-test Nasal Swabs or/and unsupervised tests are NOT ACCEPTABLE and boarding will be denied if presented with such tests.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie

No - I am afraid that self tests even with a video are not accepted. Here in Faro over the past few weeks hundreds have had to re-take their test at the airport at their own expense and may face a fine. They are checking everyone. Its laboratory only. The good news is that going home, the laboratory facility on the right as you enter the terminal at Faro airport is very efficient. I had my antigen result in less than one hour.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not sure how I dodged this! but I flew into Lisbon earlier in the week (via another European country) with a self-test. I did show my self-test certificate at the check-in desk and during boarding, then again as I was coming out of Lisbon Airport (just before you head towards the Metro station), they ALL checked my certificate and waved me on. They also checked it when I was checking in at the hotel.
When I left for Portugal, it wasn't stated that self-test were NOT accepted. If I went again, I would 100% get a test done with a on-site laboratory test company.

Otherwise, (In Lisbon) they ask to see your Covid pass when you visit restaurants/bars. Although some barely glanced before waving you on. The only exception is the Time Out Market Lisbon, where they actually scan your QR Code. On the Metro, everyone is masked up. There are various covid test centers throughout the city offering free tests (assume for locals) as I found all the websites in Portuguese (none in English).
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Ba gold
The authorities in Portugal are really making it quite tiresome flying to Portugal now, I was on BA2692 on saturday, I used the nighttime check in the day before and the BA agent at zone E in T5 checked my negative test result, my Portuguese locator form and my NHS vaccine certificate, once that was done we could then check in our luggage and were issued boarding cards,I expected that would be it for checks before departure, next morning we passed through the first wing and relaxed in GF until the gate was displayed, A17 so only a short walk, at the gate we were then told we would need to have all of our documents checked again on the insistence of the Portuguese authorities, it was quite chaotic and took ages……. We were group 1 so got on the plane quite quickly but then had to wait 90 mins for all other pax to slowly filter onto the aircraft.On arrival In faro yet another check of docs before passport control, at least 2 of the passengers in front of me were rejected and taken away to another part of the airport.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Just to flag, BA are adding a new nightstop service to Porto next summer.

The route will now be served 16x weekly from LHR Terminal 3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.