Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help please: Post Brexit UK Passport Validity Rules for EU Travel

Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

Rules on UK Passport Validity have changed when travelling to the EU, you now need six months validity to travel (I knew this) and your passport must be less than ten years old. I did not know that. There is a tool to check validity here: https://check-passport-for-travel-to...eoffice.gov.uk

It turns out that even though my passport expires in September 2022, its only valid for travel until 9th June 2021. The problem is I am due to travel on 9th June 2021! I have spoken to the passport office and they confirmed that I should be able to travel until 23:59 on the 9th (so I should be ok) but they said that airlines may take a different view.

Any ideas? Does anyone know what the BA policy on this might be? Should I be able to get on the flight?

I can renew, but there are no urgent appointments until the 11th of June. Any ideas how to get one sooner?

Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
My understanding is you are fine as long as you depart on the 9th.

They are probably covering their backsides. I can't see BA's policy being any different from the legal requirement of the EU.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
You should be fine as per the below:

If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:
  • valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
  • which was issued within the previous 10 years

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

Probably a good idea to also check timatic with your specific details...
argonath, cauchy and ba bob like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by ba bob
Hi All,

Rules on UK Passport Validity have changed when travelling to the EU, you now need six months validity to travel (I knew this) and your passport must be less than ten years old. I did not know that. There is a tool to check validity here: https://check-passport-for-travel-to...eoffice.gov.uk

It turns out that even though my passport expires in September 2022, its only valid for travel until 9th June 2021. The problem is I am due to travel on 9th June 2021! I have spoken to the passport office and they confirmed that I should be able to travel until 23:59 on the 9th (so I should be ok) but they said that airlines may take a different view.

Any ideas? Does anyone know what the BA policy on this might be? Should I be able to get on the flight?

I can renew, but there are no urgent appointments until the 11th of June. Any ideas how to get one sooner?

Thanks.
The Schengen zone’s requirement is 3 months validity after the intended date of departure.

The six month “rule”, counted from date of travel, seems to have been invented by adding the maximum stay of 90 days to the three month rule shown on the EU website:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I understand what the rule is, but I struggle to see why the rule is there. I am affected and will renew earlier than I wanted and will have to amend my US global entry.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I checked timatic and it seems to say I am fine for travel.

The issue here is that my passport has a validity of over 10 years (11 years 3 months) and the new EU rule states you need 6 months validity up to the 10 year point of the passport. I.e. if you have a UK passport that is valid for 20 years (example), you could only travel to Europe for the first 9.5 years of holding it before needing a new one. A bit of a odd rule - but worth knowing!

Looks like I make it by the skin of my teeth. Still looking to renew if I find a slot though, don't want the headache. Thanks for the quick responses.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
There were a number of articles about this around January, though inevitably the news won't have reached all of the affected. I thought they only added up to 9 (?) unused months to the next one though [before they stopped doing that].
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ba bob
The issue here is that my passport has a validity of over 10 years (11 years 3 months) and the new EU rule states you need 6 months validity up to the 10 year point of the passport. I.e. if you have a UK passport that is valid for 20 years (example), you could only travel to Europe for the first 9.5 years of holding it before needing a new one. A bit of a odd rule - but worth knowing!
Out of curiosity, in what circumstance that a British Passport would be issued with a validity longer than 10 years?

While not a British Citizen, my British Passport has never been issued more than 10 years.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by garykung
Out of curiosity, in what circumstance that a British Passport would be issued with a validity longer than 10 years?

While not a British Citizen, my British Passport has never been issued more than 10 years.
If you renewed early the unexpired period was added to the new passport.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
It did not happen to me. I guess it depends on the passport type. Also - when I renewed my passport, HMPO was in a big mess with Theresa May as Home Secretary. I got the stamp extension from British Consulate.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula
but I struggle to see why the rule is there.
Because we “took back control”.
Tafflyer, craigthemif and Ramos like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The add on extension finished a few years ago. My previous passport was 10 yrs 11 months in total, this time I renewed maybe 5/6 months before expiry and my new one is a straight ten year
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
My UK passport was once extended by two years, so it was valid for 12 years in total. I can't remember exactly when or why, but I believe there were huge processing delays so blanket extensions were offered. I think I was able to get it extended at the Post Office.

Apologies for my terrible memory and lack of detail!
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Useful thread.
I renewed my passport in 2013, 7 months early so the issue date is Feb 2013 but validity was to Sep 2023, as my previous passport only expired in Sep 2013 so they gave me back the extra 7 months for renewing early.

I used the link to check validity and it says valid for travel to Europe until Aug 2022, the shortfall from Feb 2023 being the 6 months validity requirement.

I knew it wouldn't be valid for the 'extended ' seven months but had completely forgotten about the 6 months validity bit. Had I been travelling in December 2022 I'm sure I would have just turned up for travel without checking.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I didn't know the extension could be as long as OP's. I was aware of the EU rule and had it in my head that I need to not get caught out by this next year, as mine expires in Nov 22 but was issued Jul 12.

Seeing the OP's post made me suddenly panic that I'd calculated mine wrong and was about to run out too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.