Wiki Posts
Search

Misery in Dallas and ineptitude by phone

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Misery in Dallas and ineptitude by phone

I greet this community from the Hyatt Regency at DFW - a place where I did not want to be. I was booked on a BA ticket to fly the outbound part of a trip ORD/DFW/LHR - a routing I foolishly chose to enjoy an overnight flight in First, as Chicago is being starved of First during the pandemic. Massive thunder came in over DFW while we were in the air south from Illinois, and we had to divert to Tulsa, where there was not even a bright golden haze over the meadow. We landed, eventually, in DFW at about 10pm, well after BA192 had departed.

My bag had been checked through to LHR, but I could find nobody to advise whether there was any way I could access it given the delay. The AA lounges were all closed, and I could find nobody to offer me assistance - the BA staff having long since departed.

So I call YouFirst/GGL. On the first call I am told that they would have to charge me to rebook me to the next day's BA192. A second call spares me that, but simply says they cannot rebook me at all and I have to do it in person at the airport. Now, the load on BA192 on Tuesday is not high, but it could be (if this was New York it would be a different story). I'm beyond bewildered that - despite the claims on the YouFirst page of the website that it can deal with travel disruption and baggage issues - nobody could either tell me anything or do anything to assist me.

I'm going to bed now at 0030, and hoping I might fare better with someone in London, but it is sorely unimpressive.
Old May 24, 2021, 11:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
There’s plenty availability for today’s BA192 (B781) flight (F4 A4 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9), there is also availablilty on the 15:05 AA (77W) flight (F3 A2).

You don’t say why YouFirst were unable to rebook you, perhaps you can raise that with customer relations on your return. Did you ask AA to assist being the carrier who caused the misconnect?
eponymous_coward, wrp96 and becks1 like this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; May 25, 2021 at 12:43 am
Old May 25, 2021, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
For the record, you should seek help from AA. ORD-DFW was obviously operated by AA. As the last carrier, AA would need to take care of you (at least for the rebooking and baggage).
Old May 25, 2021, 12:40 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
AA are normally very good at this. I’d go and see an AA ticketing agent in person as soon as you wake up. Let’s us know how you get on!
Old May 25, 2021, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
On the first call I am told that they would have to charge me to rebook me to the next day's BA192.
Was ORD-DFW-LHR all on one ticket?
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This def. needs to be sorted out at the airport; call center agents can't /will refuse to deal with IRROPS even at YouFirst. Go talk to AA; most likely it be sorted out quickly and you will find yourself on today's BA192
Old May 25, 2021, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by warakorn
Was ORD-DFW-LHR all on one ticket?
Dear warakorn, isn't that quite obvious from the Q/inital post?

Who the h.. would be silly enough to book ORD-DFW-LHR as separate tickets.
Old May 25, 2021, 2:44 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR

no it is not obvious. until one catches that he OP checked bags through to LHR.

and there are plenty of reasons one may book on two separate tickets such as the very common "i thought i'd be in dallas but had to be in chicago before so needed to book a separate ticket"

not very difficult to imagine other scenarios.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:18 am

AA are happy to deal with IRROPS on the phone so calling them would get you rebooked. That doesn’t help with baggage.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC
I had an misconnection in Miami last year, was rebooked very quickly at the service desk and given a hotel, vouchers, and a snack from a fridge next to the counter. Seamless. My bags were retagged too, but this was on an all AA routing.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I take it AA staff at DFW sorted you out with accommodation? Would it not have been more sensible for them to have dealt with your other requests?
Old May 25, 2021, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I take it AA staff at DFW sorted you out with accommodation? Would it not have been more sensible for them to have dealt with your other requests?
Best not to assume so. It was WX. So not sure if AA would give out hotel. It could be booked by OP.
wrp96 and Cymro like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
no it is not obvious. until one catches that he OP checked bags through to LHR.

and there are plenty of reasons one may book on two separate tickets such as the very common "i thought i'd be in dallas but had to be in chicago before so needed to book a separate ticket"

not very difficult to imagine other scenarios.
Perhaps the second sentence might have been a small clue: ”I was booked on a BA ticket to fly the outbound part of a trip ORD/DFW/LHR.”
seawolf likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Definitely need to connect with AA since this was a day of issue.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR

I have booked STL-DFW-LHR on separate tickets many times. If you are using AVIOS and a companion voucher you cannot combine BA flights with AA flights and that is the only way to do it.

To the original OP, I have had the same misfortune as you. Even if on separate tickets AA have a policy to protect your onward flight on BA if they failed to get you to to the connecting point. The One World liaison desk will take care of it. You may have to ask the agent to contact them as not all of them know about that policy. Even if in one paid ticket they would look after you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.