BA and Spain

Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Overnight the government has toughened up the rules for travel from Spain. Or has it? I believe we are now required to get a PCR test, but this morning Grant Shapps was saying that nothing had really changed. So does anyone know how easy/rapid it is to get a PCR Test (I'll be inMAdrid), or do we think that Lateral Flows will will be acceptable?
its not a requirement as I understand it
Its advice as they are interested in sequencing pcr's for variants
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:57 am

Programs: British Airways Exec, Virgin Atlantic
Which doesn't make sense as the tests and sequencing will be done in Spain.

We have already paid for and brought with us our Lateral Flow tests so will be sticking with them.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Just noticed BA are flying to PMI from Gatwick in November? Is this a normal thing?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by marconess
Just noticed BA are flying to PMI from Gatwick in November? Is this a normal thing?
Hasn't been many normal things since last spring, I'm afraid.

Personally I would have other destinations in November ranking higher than PMI, but each to his own...

Last edited by onobond; Aug 6, 2021 at 4:58 am
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:09 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Testing in Ibiza for return to UK

Off to Ibiza with the family next week. Can anyone give advice on testing in Port des Torrent area or San Antonio that is compliant with UK requirements?

Essentially want to figure out if I should take tests with us from here or better off sorting it there.

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by zat_dude
Off to Ibiza with the family next week. Can anyone give advice on testing in Port des Torrent area or San Antonio that is compliant with UK requirements?

Essentially want to figure out if I should take tests with us from here or better off sorting it there.

Thanks!
I ordered the chronomics test via BA yesterday at 22.40 each which is pretty similar to whatI recently paid @ 24.95 for a rapid test in Spain. Its one of those you take with you, self administer and send a photo for a certificate. I have used qured before and that worked really well, this option seems even simpler with no need for the video chat.

I can't speak for Ibiza but I can't image its much different from Malaga where I live and there will be plenty of local options at clinics for tourists and locals alike. Others will no doubt chime in but I doubt you will have any issues finding a local solution if you decide to go that route.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
With regards testing prior to return to UK from Spain. I understand PCR testing is advised but not mandatory, and rapid antigen tests should be ok still.

I assume it is BA that has the obligation to check the test? Be interested in hearing if anyone has experienced any push back at check in when presenting negative test proof via rapid antigen tests?

I have already booked rapid antigen tests for my return, so do not want to now have to book more expensive PCR tests if possible.

FYI my tests have been booked using the Malaga airport provider - http://travelcovidtestcenter.com/malaga

15 mins results for €25, but annoyingly completely non-refundable.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
IB was fine accepting an antigen test yesterday.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to confirm Timatic still says the following for arriving from Spain:

Passengers entering or transiting through the United Kingdom must have a negative COVID-19 test result. The test must have been taken at most 3 days before departure of the last direct flight to the United Kingdom. Tests accepted are: antigen, LAMP, nucleic acid and PCR tests. The test result must be in English, French or Spanish.

Passengers details (name, date of birth or age) on the test result must match those stated in the passport or other travel document. The test result must also include the contact details of the issuing laboratory.
There is no reason to expect check in agents will be requiring a PCR only.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 8, 2021 at 10:31 am
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
With regards testing prior to return to UK from Spain. I understand PCR testing is advised but not mandatory, and rapid antigen tests should be ok still.

I assume it is BA that has the obligation to check the test? Be interested in hearing if anyone has experienced any push back at check in when presenting negative test proof via rapid antigen tests?

I have already booked rapid antigen tests for my return, so do not want to now have to book more expensive PCR tests if possible.

FYI my tests have been booked using the Malaga airport provider - http://travelcovidtestcenter.com/malaga

15 mins results for 25, but annoyingly completely non-refundable.
I travelled on Friday with that exact test and no issues. I found them to be super efficient and cheaper than UK provider. When I went to my appointment, they said I could use the booking at any time before 31/12/21 so they are flexible with changes too. Highly recommend them! VeriFLY accepted the results too in case youre using that
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
i just boarded in Ibiza and they just checked i had a test no concerns about it being cheapo antigen.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I ordered the chronomics test via BA yesterday at 22.40 each
I guess they sold too many tests for 10... And they even ask for PNR now. Should have ordered more tests when I used them
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Has anyone noticed whether there has been any recent trimming of AGP flights in Sept ? I have a booking down to AGP from LCY in early Sept which still appears to be operating. However, past experience suggests it may be one of the earliest casualties if they start cutting back on flights.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Has anyone noticed whether there has been any recent trimming of AGP flights in Sept ? I have a booking down to AGP from LCY in early Sept which still appears to be operating. However, past experience suggests it may be one of the earliest casualties if they start cutting back on flights.
I have two Malaga/London City flights in the next 6 weeks and like you I am keeping an eye on them but so far so good. I had the same concerns last month about the new AGP/SOU route but that looks to have started ok despite low loads.

Good Luck.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I have two Malaga/London City flights in the next 6 weeks and like you I am keeping an eye on them but so far so good. I had the same concerns last month about the new AGP/SOU route but that looks to have started ok despite low loads.

Good Luck.
Thanks. You too ! BA look to be still operating a lot of flights even once the school hols are over, and one has to wonder whether there really is that much demand. I have noticed that even now - peak season - fares are very inconsistent. Looking last week, I could have flown down this week and returned a week later on sensibly timed flights for under 100 r/t, which seems remarkable for a mid August trip.

Any idea if they have made any effort at all to sort out the shambolic check in queues (sadly I am often travelling with checked bags, so no way of avoiding them) ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.