Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Spain

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2021, 4:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Agent69
So if you fly to Spain from Monday you will be sat in a plane with a load of untested (and mainly un-vaccinated) passengers. I might risk it from Bristol, but doubt I'll be rushing for a Manchester flight any time soon.
How do you know that?
Old May 22, 2021, 5:00 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Yeah, that's fascinating considering how many Germans are off to Spain no doubt in bars mixing with the untested Brits, many of whom are too young to have been vaccinated.
Indeed - and how many are going to try and return via Portugal if that proves to be convenient? If they have a Covid test in Portugal - how on earth would Border Control know who had been where or for how long? The whole thing as full of holes as a Gruyere cheese - Spain is only doing this as the economy is on its knees and desperately needs the cash.

I'll bet my hairbrush that Gibraltar drops the PCR requirement as well on flights from London.
adrianlondon and Ramos like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
How do you know that?
Indeed. The national effort is down to 32 and at the moment the crowd on these flights will skew towards those with more time to quarantine or going on a long trip to their second homes so likely older. Kids are all in school so can't visit Amber countries. It's likely the majority of any Spanish flight will be at least 1 shot vaccinated currently
paulaf likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Thank for all the replies and general banter.

I am getting a Covid test today at Heathrow ( I had some vouchers anyway) as Titmatic has not been updated ( their marking blurb says we trawl the world and update instantly - no you dont ) and the Spanish declaration puts Uk on the safe list which hence implies no Covid test but does not say it in black and white so for that sake of Ł59 I will just get a test any way.

I have had both jabs as has my partner, but I do find it odd they ask for no test / vaccine proof at all. Given I have bought a test kit whilst away, a day 2 and 8 and a day 5 release test for so much money I have stopped counting another test makes no real odds.

I have a boat in Mallorca - hence my visit - but friends who are their now say the place is mostly closed as no one expect any tourists !

Surprisingly the flight is not full - and the fare fell from Ł190 to Ł130 yesterday which was surprise.

I will report what happens!

Also bought Staysure travel insurance for Ł230 for the pair of us including medical conditions and travel against foreign office advice cover. Not dear .
Old May 22, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
How do you know that?
I've been on many flights to spain over the years and the passengers tend to be mainly young people (who won't have been invited for vaccinations yet)
Old May 22, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by Agent69
I've been on many flights to spain over the years and the passengers tend to be mainly young people (who won't have been invited for vaccinations yet)
Coming down to AGP half a dozen times a year over recent years, I would disagree about that outside peak holiday seasons. On the LCY flights, in particular, I would say the average age is closer to 60 or 50 than to 40. It's a very staid bunch !
Old May 22, 2021, 5:56 am

Perhaps BA will have the genius idea to offer specific flights restricted to the fully vaccinated. If anyone from BA is reading this, I for one would even be happy to pay a premium for that !!
Old May 22, 2021, 5:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Coming down to AGP half a dozen times a year over recent years, I would disagree about that outside peak holiday seasons. On the LCY flights, in particular, I would say the average age is closer to 60 or 50 than to 40. It's a very staid bunch !
Yes - kids are at school so it will be mostly older adults, with some childless younger people.
Old May 22, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
AGREED.. Ibiza is very different from Malaga where grey is most definitely the demographic on most of the hundreds of AGP flights I have taken. I would consider it very safe from a Covid perspective having flown this week and checked in already for my next Malaga flight tomorrow.
paulaf likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 8:03 am

Perhaps BA will have the genius idea to offer specific flights restricted to the fully vaccinated.
I don't get this argument. If you're vaccinated then why worry about anyone else? That's the whole point of the vaccine. To protect you from serious illness and death.
I'll happily mix with anyone now I've had my jabs.
Old May 22, 2021, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
AGREED.. Ibiza is very different from Malaga where grey is most definitely the demographic on most of the hundreds of AGP flights I have taken. I would consider it very safe from a Covid perspective having flown this week and checked in already for my next Malaga flight tomorrow.
Would you post back and let us know if any issues at check in re entry and PCR test please?
Old May 22, 2021, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Schind
I don't get this argument. If you're vaccinated then why worry about anyone else? That's the whole point of the vaccine. To protect you from serious illness and death.
I'll happily mix with anyone now I've had my jabs.
Its simply about minimising the risk / sense of risk for those of us of a more nervous disposition.
Old May 22, 2021, 8:09 am

Its simply about minimising the risk / sense of risk for those of us of a more nervous disposition.
That's fair enough.
Old May 22, 2021, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by paulaf
You don't need a test to leave the UK only to return then 2 afterwards.
I can't find it anymore, but was reading an article in one of the tabloids (please don't judge) few days ago and it said something like "government regulations mandate a test before and after every flight you take". No idea where they got it from and no wonder people get confused.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I'll bet my hairbrush that Gibraltar drops the PCR requirement as well on flights from London.
They already have, no pre-flight PCR, just lateral flow on arrival.
paulaf likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Given Spain are only doing this for money not health reasons it wouldn’t surprise me if one Thursday in the not too distant future Grant turns round and says with effect from 0400 on Saturday Spain moves to the red list and all passengers returning from there need to stay in managed isolation.

Do the travel policies that cover journeys to Amber countries just provide the typical things you’d expect in insurance or does it also cover cost of managed quarantine and consequential losses resulting in change of red to Amber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.