Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA £40 PCR test ?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Hopefully it will soon become clear because many of us live in the sticks, so will reply on delivery services.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can expect some calls from NHST&T, and potentially this could be escalated, in that the Met could call on you if you were being awkward. NHST&T isn't overburdened with workload at the moment.
NHST&T called me daily for all 10 days and asked if I had taken the day 2 and 8 tests and recorded the details. I had travelled from Spain.

I assume from my experience if you do not test then it will be followed up properly.
Old May 19, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Just dropped off my sample at the Hounslow PO box.
Seems it's a Eurofins lab.

They are doing some work to the entrance but you don't need to go to it. At the car park exit is a post box. Which is what you use. You have to go around the fencing to get to the post box at the moment. Don't be like me and drive into the car park and head to reception

Now I dropped it off about 30 mins ago and it was nearly full. I had to make some space to get our kits in. So it could very well be full by the end of the day.

I shall report back to how long it takes to get a result. Flying at 1pm on Friday.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 6:00 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Hopefully if Europe votes to allow fully vaccinated people in without tests or quarantine this will become a thing of the past for many, but obviously not all as many younger groups have not yet received their second jab and in many cases first.
James91 likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 6:20 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Can someone explain to me the logic of the day 2 and 8 test other than being a deterrent to families going on holiday. Surely if you arrive from an Amber location having had a negative PCR prior to flying and you observe the 10 day quarantine you pose no threat to anybody. Other than providing stats for the government and income for the testing companies I cant see the logic. Even if you test negative on day 2 and 8 your still held prisoner until day 10.
Old May 19, 2021, 6:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Can someone explain to me the logic of the day 2 and 8 test other than being a deterrent to families going on holiday. Surely if you arrive from an Amber location having had a negative PCR prior to flying and you observe the 10 day quarantine you pose no threat to anybody. Other than providing stats for the government and income for the testing companies I cant see the logic. Even if you test negative on day 2 and 8 your still held prisoner until day 10.
The actual self isolation period was and is 14 days. If you don't actually do the 8 day test ,or it gets lost in the post, you are in self isolation for 14 days (actually 15 days). However if you do the 8 day test you can be released on day 10 if it is negative. The logic is all about people travelling in families, the virus spreads around the members of the family at different dates, but PCR testing will only show positive cases on a limited number of days within the 14 day typical infection time. Some people (though not many) are being found positive on day8 who were negative on day2. Typically another member of their travel group was positive on day2. The pre-flight testing isn't PCR. Day2 test is sequenced when positive.
Old May 19, 2021, 6:49 am

The actual self isolation period was and is 14 days. If you don't actually do the 8 day test ,or it gets lost in the post, you are in self isolation for 14 days (actually 15 days). However if you do the 8 day test you can be released on day 10 if it is negative. The logic is all about people travelling in families, the virus spreads around the members of the family at different dates, but PCR testing will only show positive cases on a limited number of days within the 14 day typical infection time. Some people (though not many) are being found positive on day8 who were negative on day2. Typically another member of their travel group was positive on day2. The pre-flight testing isn't PCR. Day2 test is sequenced when positive.
I totally accept this but why not offer a no test 14 days quarantine so that people who are not time restricted and double vaccinated can save the wasted expenditure.
Old May 19, 2021, 7:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
I totally accept this but why not offer a no test 14 days quarantine so that people who are not time restricted and double vaccinated can save the wasted expenditure.
The day2 one is focused on sequencing any variants, and vaccines aren't a total solution to variants, though I accept that in statistical terms that so far they nearly are so. Obviously if you served your self isolation time in a Green country then you at least get rid of most of this. But I don't think there is much attempt to make Amber travel easy, which was your initial point.
Old May 19, 2021, 7:17 am

Smile

The day2 one is focused on sequencing any variants, and vaccines aren't a total solution to variants, though I accept that in statistical terms that so far they nearly are so. Obviously if you served your self isolation time in a Green country then you at least get rid of most of this. But I don't think there is much attempt to make Amber travel easy, which was your initial point.
i agree, and personally if it helped with tracking and tracing I would happily be tested on all 14 days, but not at my cost
James91 likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
NHS Test

Using the Covid app, if symptoms are declared, a test can be booked at a local centre and the result received the following day. Could this be used as the -72 hour test?
Old May 20, 2021, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by botham
Using the Covid app, if symptoms are declared, a test can be booked at a local centre and the result received the following day. Could this be used as the -72 hour test?
No. This is specifically stated somewhere in the govt guidance. It also would not produce the certificate that you require which needs a lot of detailed info inc your passport no.
botham likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
No. This is specifically stated somewhere in the govt guidance. It also would not produce the certificate that you require which needs a lot of detailed info inc your passport no.
Is there not the slight snag that if you have symptoms such as to get the test in this way then you should probably not be traveling anyway ?
Old May 20, 2021, 1:29 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Just a question on this - do all the Day 2/Day8 tests now require you to put your passport number when getting them? When I did Covid tests last year, at least for when I was traveling to the EU, I never had to give them my passport no. - is this a recent change?
Old May 20, 2021, 3:57 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Hi All, can I check whether there are specific items that check-in will confirm in the test certificate? Apart from the standard passport details etc. do they need any other sort of verification such as a QR barcode. I ask this because the certificate I received doesn't really have any external verification such as a QR code which I see quite a few others include
Old May 20, 2021, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by salehir
Hi All, can I check whether there are specific items that check-in will confirm in the test certificate? Apart from the standard passport details etc. do they need any other sort of verification such as a QR barcode. I ask this because the certificate I received doesn't really have any external verification such as a QR code which I see quite a few others include
My Express Test cert does not have a QR code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.