Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA £40 PCR test ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by moneypooraviosrich
And just hope that the guy who delivered our Morrison’s food yesterday doesn’t turn up the next day as part of track and trace and wants to see our day 2 results!
Thats right, they seem to be using delivery drivers to check up on you
If he does, perhaps he will be able to offer you a BOGOF: Two fixed price penalty notices for the price of one !
Old Jun 17, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Yup, several providers will sell you just a day 8 test, eg Randox offer it currently for £48 at https://www.randoxhealth.com/covid-1...-and-8-testing (pick "Day 8 Only" in the dropdown)
I don't know why they are marketing them as either day 2, day 5 or day 8 test. their all the same test

Last edited by moneypooraviosrich; Jun 18, 2021 at 10:14 am Reason: there,their,they're
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:06 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Timings Eurofin via Royal Mail track and trace
Posted Jedburgh 17:10 Thursday
Collected by Jedburgh Delivery office 17:35 (the advertised last time of colleciton is 17:30)
Received Edinburgh Regional Mail Centre 04:21
Received Livingston Delivery Office 05:34
Delivered to laboratory 12:51 Friday
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Conclusion
I was actually happy with both services, and both companies have advantages and disadvantages. I would be willing to use both again. Eurofins is obviously slower but is cheaper and easier to use. It was a bit irritating that it took 8 hours to get from the Edinburgh Mail Centre to Livingston, a distance of 10 miles. If Eurofins could improve their speed somewhat and add a "lab received" confirmation to the app I think they would have a better product. The Randox product seems more robust and was more user friendly if you aren't really into apps.
I ordered a Eurofins test to fly before reading all the reviews . I just followed the link from BA. Ooops!

I hope they've got their act together by now, otherwise I'll be doing either Collinson or Express Test tomorrow.

It looks as though there have been some changes and that post goes directly from Edinburgh Regional Mail Centre to Eurofins rather than via the Livingston Delivery Office. If that's the case, it should speed things up.

Royal Mail tracking:
Posted in priority postbox at Abingdon Delivery Office 10:30 Thursday (last collection time shown as 18:30)
Received by Swindon Mail Centre 18:22 Thursday
Received Edinburgh Regional Mail Centre 05:06 Friday
Received Edinburgh Regional Mail Centre 08:06 Friday
Delivered to laboratory 10:38 Friday

Now let's see if Eurofins can process the result within 24 hours. Even 25 hours would be OK. I live in hope.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I don't know why they are marketing them as either day 2, day 5 or day 8 test. there all the same test
The day 2 yest I understood was checked for variants, the others are not.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:24 am

As an aside, we were contacted yesterday by T&T and told we had to isolate for 10 days from the date we landed back in the country. Supposedly someone on the flight has contracted COVID.
Text, email then phone call. Further phone call this morning to reaffirm we had to stay in then a visit at about noon.
That's 2 visits in 2 days
Bought the TTR kits from Halo who said we can return them for a full refund less £3 for use of the courier service.

Contacted 123tests about returning theirs and they want to keep a £45 admin fee for each and then we have to send them back special delivery. They only cost us £55 each. I'd sooner throw them in the bin
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
As an aside, we were contacted yesterday by T&T and told we had to isolate for 10 days from the date we landed back in the country. Supposedly someone on the flight has contracted COVID.
Text, email then phone call. Further phone call this morning to reaffirm we had to stay in then a visit at about noon.
That's 2 visits in 2 days
Bought the TTR kits from Halo who said we can return them for a full refund less £3 for use of the courier service.

Contacted 123tests about returning theirs and they want to keep a £45 admin fee for each and then we have to send them back special delivery. They only cost us £55 each. I'd sooner throw them in the bin
we got bored with the track and trace calls but not nearly as bored as the people making the calls. Quite often we were away from our phone when they called. yesterday got called and asked for DOB I gave the date but refused the whole info because I was in a public place. Guy on the other end said I failed security and put the phone down. Since Mrs firstlight was only asked for year of birth there's inconsistency in the training. It's all a charade to extract money with menaces.
endoman likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by firstlight
we got bored with the track and trace calls but not nearly as bored as the people making the calls. Quite often we were away from our phone when they called. yesterday got called and asked for DOB I gave the date but refused the whole info because I was in a public place. Guy on the other end said I failed security and put the phone down. Since Mrs firstlight was only asked for year of birth there's inconsistency in the training. It's all a charade to extract money with menaces.
Sorry what money are they trying to extract?
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:43 pm

ExpressTest Fit to Fly antigen test, LHR T5 walk in, thumbs up (almost)
£33.60 with BA discount, also got £1.99 cashback from TCB
My booked slot was 17:30, didn't see any other customers, bored-looking testers hanging around in front. Immediately directed to the booth and back out couple of minutes later. Nasal swab only, done quite gently. On my way out I asked if it's possible to get a printed certificate and was told to come back when I get the email with result.
So hanged around for about 30 minutes or so and email with negative test result and attached PDF certificate arrived. Returned to ExpressTest and asked for printed certificate. Was directed to Excess Baggage shop next door where I was quoted £10 to print one page. Didn't need it that bad. This is the reason for not full thumbs up, at least they could have told me the price of printing beforehand so I wouldn't have waited unnecessarily.

RT Diagnostics Day 2 PCR home test, meh
£49.99, payable with Amex
Since I was going to arrive from Green List, didn't need to do TTR and wasn't planning to go anywhere else shortly after I was determined to get cheapest available Day 2 test. Started looking for tests couple of weeks before, cheapest price at the time was £45, but that outfit was out of stock, next was £47 IIRC, but at the check out they sneaked in £7.99 P&P, RT Diagnostics as third with £49.99. Test kit arrived a week after purchase.
Arrived back to UK on 14th of June, took the test in the morning of 15th and dropped it in the priority postbox on my way to work. Royal Mail tracking showed delivery on 16th of June 05:30. Email with a result (negative) and a certificate arrived 18th of June 18:05.
As I said, timing didn't really matter to me, but considering Day 2 test is supposed to be uber important on detecting the variants then 60+ hours to get the result is way too long. And that's why can't really really give thumbs up.

PS: If anyone is going to Gibraltar before 25th of June and has Amex rewards card (not sure if it's available on BA card), then GIB Duty Free is included in Shop Small campaign (spend at least £15, get £5 statement credit).
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:35 am

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Just give a quick thumbs up for Randox. I ordered Day 2 & 8 and also Day5/TTR. The Day 2 & 8 packs arrived together at the end of Day 1, and the Day 5 arrived early on day 5 itself. All trackable from dispatch to delivery through TNT. Tests easy to do, and drop-boxes easy enough to find. Dropped off each test in early afternoon to meet the cut-off time of the box, and got results by email in early afternoon next day. Only slight regret was I paid the full £48 for each on their website as I didn't read the Forum closely enough to spot that there's a BA code to save you a fiver on each. Doh!
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by SarahWest
Royal Mail tracking:
Posted in priority postbox at Abingdon Delivery Office 10:30 Thursday (last collection time shown as 18:30)
Received by Swindon Mail Centre 18:22 Thursday
Received Edinburgh Regional Mail Centre 05:06 Friday
Received Edinburgh Regional Mail Centre 08:06 Friday
Delivered to laboratory 10:38 Friday
I can update this with the news that Eurofins had a result at 08:45 Saturday.

Lab Processing time: = 22hrs 7mins

I can think of two reasons for this. Either the sheer number of bad reviews has significantly reduced the workload at Eurofins so that they are better able to cope with testing or they have actually improved. Once sample isn't enough to tell and, whichever it is, I got lucky
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SarahWest
I can update this with the news that Eurofins had a result at 08:45 Saturday.

Lab Processing time: = 22hrs 7mins

I can think of two reasons for this. Either the sheer number of bad reviews has significantly reduced the workload at Eurofins so that they are better able to cope with testing or they have actually improved. Once sample isn't enough to tell and, whichever it is, I got lucky
Thanks for doing the timings, which suggests the Lab may have got slightly better since my sample went through a few weeks back (my timing was 25 hours on a 24 hours service level). Particularly because you also had a Friday into Saturday process. In terms of how labs work, the 22 to 25 hour area is pretty much the same thing, There are two admin stages, a complex sample preparation stage, and a main processing stage, plus in a postal system - which means big batches of envelopes to deal with all at once - I'd query how any lab would be doing an effective job in under 6 hours unless they had very few samples.

And you also had the Royal Mail on side, in that Abingdon to Livingston (360 miles) was faster than Jedburgh to Livingston (50 miles).
SarahWest likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:43 pm

I'll wait for other reviews with interest. I may just have been incredibly lucky that things went so smoothly. I had originally been planning to use a Eurofins sample drop box but after reading this;
Originally Posted by Garimi
It's better to send samples than use Eurofins drop boxes (at least You have some tracking)
I opted for Royal Mail because I would have some idea when the lab got the sample.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Eurofins refund timeline

In case it helps anybody requesting a refund for a service failure by Eurofins

9th June 1st refund request email
15th June 2nd refund request email (since no response to first request)
17th June Response confirming refund would be paid within 7-10 days
17th June Refund date on credit card
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:24 pm

Did You get full refund?

Hi xxx

I have issued a refund minus a £7.50 admin due to it being dispatched and processed.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Garimi
Did You get full refund?
Full refund for me. Although my test kit didn't arrive in time, and eventually returned to Eurofins, so they never did any processing.

It still sounds cheeky to deduct an admin fee if they failed to deliver the result to you in time for it to be any use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.