FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Farewell to the Business Centre in the GF Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2040233-farewell-business-centre-gf-lounge.html)

jwhite9185 May 15, 2021 2:25 am

Farewell to the Business Centre in the GF Lounge

According to Business Traveller, the Business Centre in the GF lounge at T5 is no more. Instead, a number of sleeping pods will be installed in this area:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...concorde-room/

I guess these days, most people have their own devices, so keeping a large area of PC’s is a little redundant. And for those who don’t, I suspect they will still have that smaller bank of computers next to the terrace.

Hopefully now there will be less people bedding down on the sofas for the day…

Krisz May 15, 2021 2:29 am

I think those smaller bank of computers are gone in 2019 if I’m correct. To be honest those computers were useless as they were very old running XP and was incompatible with many modern sites. The only good thing was that area was full of power sockets.

Swanhunter May 15, 2021 2:36 am

While I agree with removing the redundant PC’s, and can see real benefit in adding sleeping pods, I hope there is still going to be a quiet working area with power and proper office chairs set away from the champagne drinkers maximising their visit.

ISTFlyer May 15, 2021 2:39 am

If Heathrow ( Terminal 5 to be specific ) allows overnight airside transfers in the future, this is a great idea.
However, I hope the printers and scanners don't go away.

Barnaby100 May 15, 2021 3:31 am

It was a good space to take calls or do TEAMs etc through
Now more idiots conducting their business at full volume in the larger lounge space

Barnaby100 May 15, 2021 3:32 am

using the Elemis spa for sleeping space would take more sense

layz May 15, 2021 3:54 am

Having small office rooms like in EDI would makse sense for those who are conducting a lot of business calls in the lounge. As LHR isn't as well equipped with sockets as EDI I'll also miss being able to set all my devices to charge while drinking champagne in the room next door

gcuk May 15, 2021 3:57 am

I’d miss the ability to print in the lounge.

ISTFlyer May 15, 2021 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100 (Post 33252863)
It was a good space to take calls or do TEAMs etc through
Now more idiots conducting their business at full volume in the larger lounge space

Originally Posted by Barnaby100 (Post 33252864)
using the Elemis spa for sleeping space would take more sense

Indeed, they could refurbish the Elemis Spa to have individual work pods like some of the United Club's in the USA have.

ISTFlyer May 15, 2021 3:59 am

Originally Posted by gcuk (Post 33252893)

At least the news article only mentions Galleries First.
As far as I understand, the printers and the business corner in Galleries Club South would stay.

ratechaser May 15, 2021 6:07 am

Originally Posted by gcuk (Post 33252893)

But at least you'll still be able to have breakfast...

Stripe May 15, 2021 12:23 pm

I agree that the now former business center was no longer a good use of space given how crowded the lounge was pre-Covid. But turning that entire space over to a max of seven visitors seems to be moving in the wrong direction. Moreover, dedicating a full time staff member to servicing those seven seems a bit much. There often aren't enough staff to pick up dirty dishes as it is. Also, with no pre-booking or even a wait list for those already in the lounge, it is likely to be a frustrating experience for most.

Besides, I'm a stomach sleeper. I'll never get to sleep in those things.

SxMan May 15, 2021 12:34 pm

Cool space

Originally Posted by ratechaser (Post 33253024)
But at least you'll still be able to have breakfast...

it was one of the coolest areas in the entire lounge, and I shall miss it for that. Also – the desks were at a much better height to eat from then the low coffee tables. Eating round the far side, near the kitchen, it was just far too hot.

dylanks May 15, 2021 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by SxMan (Post 33253806)
it was one of the coolest areas in the entire lounge, and I shall miss it for that. Also – the desks were at a much better height to eat from then the low coffee tables. Eating round the far side, near the kitchen, it was just far too hot.

Exactly, on a hot summer day this and the CCR boardroom were the coolest temperature areas of the lounge complex. I’d love to see BA setup a lounge in the underground passageways which are consistently chilly. :)

VSLover May 15, 2021 2:06 pm

i have had these pods sprinkled around my office for the last ten years. at first i thought they were ok to grab 20 or 30 mins during the day, but then i realized i dont so much enjoy laying in the same seat as tons of other people...its a cleanliness thing for me. well in addition to only being able to lay in one position.

add to that the stuffy room that was the business center...no ideal.

i am concerned though they are eliminating more normal height tables to work and/or eat on. aside from the benches at the buffet which is too loud, that only leaves the handful of tables in the wine bar room just next to the biz center.