Wiki Posts
Search

Time to get through immigration T5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:46 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Buster
I'm wondering that myself...the pictures show people jammed into the tunnel, so how do you even get to the e-gates past that?
I can confirm it is a single queue until well into the immigration hall. Only then, after moving through 5 rows within the immigration hall, are e gate and non e gate people split. The longest wait is to get to that split. The lines around the A gates consist of all pax waitingvto get to the hall.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sky news report below

”Covid-19: Hours-long delays at Heathrow airport 'unacceptable' says Home Office, after pregnant woman fainted in queue”

https://apple.news/AO7AajHlHQ9aPweP9ciSdOA
Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lizban
Under what authority do they ‘detain’ people for this long?

there’s very rightly strict rules in which the police can detain people who are suspected of a crime.

What authority does immigration have to detain all these people where there is no reasonable suspicion of an offence having been committed.

(This question is semi serious!)
Border Force are unaccountable! Just try complaining to them, your MP or the Home Office.

My personal dealings with them over many years both professionally and personally have led me to conclude they are unfit for purpose.
citiflyerUK and oceanscape like this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Will100
Wow. Someone needs to calm down.
I am perfectly calm thank you, just not a lickspittle apologist for bad service.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Any idea how all of this will impact mobility assistance? I'm landing around 3pm on Monday with a 3yo with a freshly broken arm. He can walk fine, but when he starts whinging he's a real pain to carry with that arm. If LHR was one of those airports where you can borrow a pushchair that's all I'd need, but as things are I've requested mobility assistance. Can I expect for him to be able to sit on the chair/buggy all the way until immigration if something similar was to transpire again on Monday?
Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by lizban
Under what authority do they ‘detain’ people for this long?

there’s very rightly strict rules in which the police can detain people who are suspected of a crime.

What authority does immigration have to detain all these people where there is no reasonable suspicion of an offence having been committed.

(This question is semi serious!)
If a few people just walk through - assuming they can navigate the crowds - and walk past the immigration officers at their stations checking documents, what would the officers do?

I doubt there is a large number of officers available who would suddenly run out from some office and stop you...and once a few people do it others will follow given the conditions are that bad.

As a British Citizen, if anyone makes a fuss after you've walked past the immigration officers at their stations just offer to show them your passport as your legally required to do!
Old Sep 4, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by sgm
I can confirm it is a single queue until well into the immigration hall. Only then, after moving through 5 rows within the immigration hall, are e gate and non e gate people split. The longest wait is to get to that split. The lines around the A gates consist of all pax waitingvto get to the hall.
and if you need to get to the transit area!? Seems bizarre,
Old Sep 4, 2021, 4:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by SW7London
If a few people just walk through - assuming they can navigate the crowds - and walk past the immigration officers at their stations checking documents, what would the officers do?

I doubt there is a large number of officers available who would suddenly run out from some office and stop you...and once a few people do it others will follow given the conditions are that bad.

As a British Citizen, if anyone makes a fuss after you've walked past the immigration officers at their stations just offer to show them your passport as your legally required to do!
Not very sage advice, anyone attempting that would be at risk of arrest irrespective of a right to enter or reside in the UK.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Not very sage advice, anyone attempting that would be at risk of arrest irrespective of a right to enter or reside in the UK.
"Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary." It's printed on the passport, I think the shambles at Heathrow is now classifiable as both Let and Hinderance. What precisely are they going to charge a UK citizen walking around the UK with?

Assuming at the moment you have had your pre-arrival (negative) and booked your day 2 covid test.
citiflyerUK likes this.

Last edited by Turnhouse1; Sep 4, 2021 at 4:49 pm
Old Sep 4, 2021, 4:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Turnhouse1
"Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary." It's printed on the passport, I think the shambles at Heathrow is now classifiable as both Let and Hinderance. What precisely are they going to charge a UK citizen walking around the UK with?

Assuming at the moment you have had your pre-arrival (negative) and booked your day 2 covid test.
It would be an offence under section 26 of the Immigration Act 1971.
CoweyB likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:23 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
Just another data point

Arrived at 10:30am via BA.

E-Gates available but facial recognition failed so had to see officer. About a 5 minute queue and all done.

All in all took about 15-20 minutes from deplaning to arrival hall. It was a bus gate so jet bridge would probably have been faster.

I will note was in the first row of J and on the first bus off the plane so people further back might have waited somewhat longer, but the queue looked like it was moving pretty quickly.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:40 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
It would be the ultimate DYKWIA moment though - before the armed police arrived with their tasers (“Freedom! Magna Carta! Bzzzzzzzzzz”)
Tobias-UK, KARFA, PZE and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:17 am

Why?

One is prepared to show their documents and submit to questioning/examination by Border Force, what is the offence?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SW7London
Why?

One is prepared to show their documents and submit to questioning/examination by Border Force, what is the offence?
one is prepared to go through security if asked but one couldn’t be bothered to wait so walked right through
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by binman
I am perfectly calm thank you, just not a lickspittle apologist for bad service.
Didn’t mean to offend.

Just happy to have my first trip in quite a while
tomorrow, perhaps I’ll be back on Tuesday with a story of endless delays

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.