Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 arrivals

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
T5 arrivals

Are red country arrivals yet separated out in T5, in such a way that they can effectively be avoided by other arriving pax? Will amber / green also be split from next week?

More generally it would be good to get some brief reports on the queuing situation at different times of the day / days of the week, both now and once travel re-opens next week (although inbound arrivals presumably won't increase in any numbers for a week or two).
Old May 13, 2021, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Not certain how it could work. If you park up at one of the C gates your going to end up on the train all together. B gates in theory could join C gate people.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 4:21 am
Suspended

I don't think there is any separation until someone claims their bag and goes to the red list pen.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 4:22 am

So what is to stop someone from a red country infecting a green arrival; red goes into quarantine, green does not but ends up infecting numerous others with whatever new strain they have caught.
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of quarantine as a means of containment of varients?

Surely the sensible thing would be to open T4 as an arrivals for Red list countries and take everyone straight to quarantine hotels. All airlines could just unload there and then disinfect aircraft and tug them back to T5,3 and 2 for departures. Or even dock at their regular terminal but bus all pax to T4 for immigration and onward processing
Old May 13, 2021, 4:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Surely the sensible thing would be to open T4 as an arrivals for Red list countries and take everyone straight to quarantine hotels. All airlines could just unload there and then disinfect aircraft and tug them back to T5,3 and 2 for departures. No computer updates etc. Or even dock at their regular terminal but bus all pax to T4 for immigration and onward processing
What about flights which are not from red list countries, but comprise some red list passengers mixed in with amber & green?
pilot007, KeaneJohn, ENTP and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No really relevant to BA, but agreed the splitting of red arrivals is almost impossible. They have to arrive into T4 or similar, and no one should be allowed to mix on flights inbound
Old May 13, 2021, 4:28 am
Suspended

Forgetting the question of whether it should happen or whether its feasible - the answer here is to protect yourself. N95, KN95, or double masking (cloth on top of proper surgical) is the name of the game in my view for passing through airport check-in/security/boarding and deplaning/arrival procedures. Long haul J which have tended to have emptier cabins, I then reduce to a single cloth mask after boarding.

Once fully vaccinated - I may drop my protocol for the above but at least not until then.
VSLover likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by KARFA
What about flights which are not from red list countries, but comprise some red list passengers mixed in with amber & green?

or even been sat near someone in an airport departure area, in a green list country but that PAX is transiting from red list country, perhaps not to the UK

EG Lisbon departures you are no doubt mixing with people who are transiting from South American countries.They may or may not be flying on to the UK.

green does not mean these countries are covid free, just lower risk. You will probably just as much at risk sitting indoors in a pub in the UK next week as you would be in T5 arrivals
Stewie Mac and shefgab like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
Forgetting the question of whether it should happen or whether its feasible - the answer here is to protect yourself. N95, KN95, or double masking (cloth on top of proper surgical) is the name of the game in my view for passing through airport check-in/security/boarding and deplaning/arrival procedures. Long haul J which have tended to have emptier cabins, I then reduce to a single cloth mask after boarding.

Once fully vaccinated - I may drop my protocol for the above but at least not until then.
If you are going to that length you should wear proper eye protection as well…
Obruni Boy likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Wasn't there supposedly a plan to re-open T3 for red arrivals?

Are the arrival queues not even physically separated out ?? Surely a 2m physical separation should be the most basic minimum, even recognising that it is not a real solution. Having no separation at all until after baggage reclaim seems criminally reckless.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good grief - you're insisting that 2m spacing is utilised in queues, yet a passenger who chooses to fly can sit one inch from a red country passenger in Y on any aircraft at any time.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Good grief - you're insisting that 2m spacing is utilised in queues, yet a passenger who chooses to fly can sit one inch from a red country passenger in Y on any aircraft at any time.

But with increased global restrictions on inbound red flights, there are not that many flights on which this is a risk i.e. it wont happen on inbound Faro holiday flights. Forcing literally everyone to mix in close proximity for extended periods at the Border is something quite different from the more limited risk on relatively lightly loaded flights.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
If you are going to that length you should wear proper eye protection as well…
I think this is a bit cultural. Remember the UK is different than the rest of the developed world when it comes to masks (this has been written up before, not something I'm inventing). In the US, double masking and the wearing of KN95s and N95s is seen as very common and not over the top or overboard at all (sure, there is the COVID-doesn't-exist/anti-mask lobby but I mean in normal circles). So while yes, eye protection would add another layer of protection, I don't think double masking or wearing a high-grade mask is really going to "lengths."
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
i.e. it wont happen on inbound Faro holiday flights. Forcing literally everyone to mix in close proximity for extended periods at the Border is something quite different from the more limited risk on relatively lightly loaded flights.
It certainly could do with plenty of SA countries on the red list and transiting through Portugal
Old May 13, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
The fact that they banned flights from (most) Red List countries so pretty much all arrivals from 'Red List' will be coming via Amber/Green so segregation is currently impossible.

Banning flights from Red List countries was a silly move in my view - allowing flights to have continued would mean arrivals could be more easily controlled for all the obvious reasons cited above if you believe there's a need to control them in this manner ( not sure I really do, but that's a different story !)
mikeyfly and LancashireFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.