Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Downgrade from First to Club due to change of aircraft.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The restriction there is Maximum Permitted Mileage, and there's usually enough wriggle room on that to turn LHR-LAS to LHR-LAX-LAS.
that was my next question--so that does mean BA do not consider a re-route for DEN because the closest cities PHX/DEN exceed their consideration of what is reasonable--which in a european context makes sense but not in the US where things in the west, especially, are just much farther apart.
Old May 8, 2021, 4:48 am

Is there a workable re-route for LHR -> AUS? I don't really know the route map that well.

Just looking at a map, I'm guessing DFW & HOU? I'm guessing some potential for other places further East too, like Atlanta? The advantage of the first two is if they manage to lose my bike at least I could literally drive to go and get it (as much as that would suck).
Old May 8, 2021, 4:55 am

So I've just had a long call with a third agent who went to check the full facts. It seems that the cabin closure rules do not permit rerouting to any different destination and, whilst rerouting is permitted, all flights must be operatred by BA. So I can rebook onto any alternative dates but that's all that I can do.

Oddly the web site doesn't seem to operate under the same rules.
Old May 8, 2021, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
Is there a workable re-route for LHR -> AUS? I don't really know the route map that well.

Just looking at a map, I'm guessing DFW & HOU? I'm guessing some potential for other places further East too, like Atlanta? The advantage of the first two is if they manage to lose my bike at least I could literally drive to go and get it (as much as that would suck).
You always have to collect luggage at first point of entry into the US. So if you have a connecting itinerary you will physically see your bag at the connecting point. I’ve done this countless times and have never had a problem - and of course you’ll benefit from AA’s clever bag tracer once you hand it over to them. I can’t help but think you’re over-worrying here.

Closure of F on LHRDEN will absolutely allow a rerouting via DFW, BA will have no problem at all with this. You could also choose to go via ORD if you prefer. The reason they don’t allow a change of gateway above 300 miles is because they don’t have to - the relationship with AA allows them to serve all points in the US and get you where you originally wanted to go.
RG1X likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 5:41 am

Well the website did actually allow me to do what the human agents wouldn't do. I now have to route LHR-DFW-DEN rather than take a direct flight, but there are upsiades.

I've shifted to a weekend, which was previously prohibitively expensive, so I get an extra day's skiing with one day less off work.

I've moved the trip by two weeks when the snow conditions should be better. My new dates were outside the booking window for the original sale.

I earn an extra 120 tier points, which should see me to Gold this year.

And I paid less than Ł1,800 for the original ticket. All in all, a great result.
VSLover, KARFA, DrGee and 4 others like this.
Old May 8, 2021, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by aahjnnot
DFW-DEN-DFW operate as a 2 class domestic service and as such will earn you 40TP each way as they book into Business Class buckets these days.

Weighing everything up you appear to have done rather well out of the rerouting
Old May 8, 2021, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Confus
You always have to collect luggage at first point of entry into the US. So if you have a connecting itinerary you will physically see your bag at the connecting point. I’ve done this countless times and have never had a problem - and of course you’ll benefit from AA’s clever bag tracer once you hand it over to them. I can’t help but think you’re over-worrying here.

Closure of F on LHRDEN will absolutely allow a rerouting via DFW, BA will have no problem at all with this. You could also choose to go via ORD if you prefer. The reason they don’t allow a change of gateway above 300 miles is because they don’t have to - the relationship with AA allows them to serve all points in the US and get you where you originally wanted to go.
Ahh yes, I had completely forgotten about the baggage aspect. Cheers.

...and yeah, overworrying before events is my thing. You train for nine plus months for one very important day so I like to cover all possibilities off.

Edit - I assume I'm fine to leave this process until much later in the year (so the schedules are much more concrete)? Not flying until November.
Old May 8, 2021, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Well the website did actually allow me to do what the human agents wouldn't do. I now have to route LHR-DFW-DEN rather than take a direct flight, but there are upsiades.

I've shifted to a weekend, which was previously prohibitively expensive, so I get an extra day's skiing with one day less off work.

I've moved the trip by two weeks when the snow conditions should be better. My new dates were outside the booking window for the original sale.

And I paid less than Ł1,800 for the original ticket. All in all, a great result.
Certainly a happy outcome after the disappointment of losing F on the DEN flight.
But does that mean you'll decline a conceivable offer of your first alternative re-routing?

... a trip on a transatlantic cruise liner...
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
re-routing was never offered for me online via DFW to DEN either for my cash or avios bookings....and actively rejected by two different agents.

in the end, they found a joker that had never been refunded to my account for a separate cancelled DEN booking so i was able to use that to get my parents on the LHR-LAX flight and well with my cash booking, i was able to FTV it and pay.

on one hand annoying, but on the other quite happy we are going via LAX.

Last edited by VSLover; May 9, 2021 at 3:23 am
Old May 12, 2021, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
Downgrade question

Hi all - we booked two revenue tickets in the last sale to Austin in Club and used u/g voucher to secure F. BA has now told us that the route has been downgraded to having no F (although, ironically, it is a 787-10 with F cabin greyed out). Is it reasonable to ask to be re-routed via DFW so the long-haul sectors are in F? Many thanks!
Old May 12, 2021, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Not it is not IMO. Your u/g voucher should be refunded.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Not it is not IMO. Your u/g voucher should be refunded.
Source for this statement? It should definitely be possible - and even with a choice of BA or AA flights under AJB guidelines.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The OP asked if considered reasonable or not. I replied that in my opinion the OP should ask for refund of vouchers and fly in Club to Austin (rather than spending time/hassle getting rerouted and flying to/via DFW - not worth it IMO)
Old May 12, 2021, 5:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The OP asked if considered reasonable or not. I replied that in my opinion the OP should ask for refund of vouchers and fly in Club to Austin (rather than spending time/hassle getting rerouted and flying to/via DFW - not worth it IMO)
No, the OP asked if it was reasonable to ask. Which it is.
haroon145 likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, CCR, Virgin Gold

Hi there, I flew from BDA to LHR back in early April. The booking was a cash F fare. A few days before the flight, I was advised that due to a change of equipment that there would be no F on the aircraft. I received a physical letter at the airport at check-in with an email address to apply for a refund/compensation. (There was a considerable difference in fare between F & J). I also received a call from Customer Services advising me of the equipment change, and another advising me that the refund could not be processed until the return leg had been flown. The return leg was over a week ago. I chased customer services again today, and was told again that my request had been escalated, and thanking me for my support as a Gold member. I have been a GGL/CCR member for eight years, but never mind. Would one of the sages of this forum have any idea how long such a refund would/should take, and would I fare better by calling the GGL line?
thanks all in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.