Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Downgrade from First to Club due to change of aircraft.

Involuntary Downgrade from First to Club due to change of aircraft.

Old May 7, 2021, 8:06 am

I've also had my DEN flights downgraded, but I'm inclined to take the no-cost rebooking option for F via DFW. The extra tier poitns will be useful and I can change to a more convenient date that wasn't originally available at a sensible price.

The DFW-DEN leg will be in business as the flight has no F cabin. Presumably that will earn 40 tier points each way?
Old May 7, 2021, 8:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mixbury
Is this the case even though the flight is not until December? By no means an expert, but I thought compensation only applied when the cancellation/downgrade occurred within a few weeks of the flight.
The downgrade entitlement is a reimbursement rather than compensation. The 14 days only applies for whether you are in scope for compensation as a result of a cancelation.
Old May 7, 2021, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by aahjnnot
I've also had my DEN flights downgraded, but I'm inclined to take the no-cost rebooking option for F via DFW. The extra tier poitns will be useful and I can change to a more convenient date that wasn't originally available at a sensible price.
I'd be tempted to do the same, were it not for the fact that I'll have a mountain bike with me (in America for a race)... and I guarantee that wont end well.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser
I do sometimes wonder if F is being consigned to the scrapheap by degrees - reduction in capacity combined with club suite rollout. And I bet a lot less corporate demand (and/or largesse) to support it in future...
I don't wonder. There is a consistent reduction being undertaken (14 to 8!) BA will see how F sells in the next few years and will design future cabins (both for new planes and refits) based on that.

rb211.
Old May 7, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yes. A refund of 75% of the price of the segment, less taxes (but not surcharges). You can only claim once you flown in Business.
My tickets are amex 2-4-1 with a GUF2 to F. I’ll be satisfied with getting my GUF2 voucher back.
Old May 7, 2021, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by RG1X
I'd be tempted to do the same, were it not for the fact that I'll have a mountain bike with me (in America for a race)... and I guarantee that wont end well.
I thought you'd be out there with a snowboard based on your user name. North America with the MTB is definitely on my bucket list but there's no way I'm good enough to race...
Old May 7, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Physci
My tickets are amex 2-4-1 with a GUF2 to F. I’ll be satisfied with getting my GUF2 voucher back.
In the event of an aircraft change, meaning an involuntary downgrade from first to business, how does the calculation work (Avios, 241 + GUF2) ?
Is the post-flight claim jeopardised in any way by accepting the rebooked cabin in advance?
Old May 7, 2021, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by JeffBHD
In the event of an aircraft change, meaning an involuntary downgrade from first to business, how does the calculation work (Avios, 241 + GUF2) ?
Is the post-flight claim jeopardised in any way by accepting the rebooked cabin in advance?
How are your roulette skills?

I paid cash so my experience may not mirror yours.

The website is inviting me to reroute on any date that I fancy.

This morning You First told me that my options were to re-route onto an aircraft with First, to move my dates by up to 3 days and/or to move my destination by up to 300 miles. Or I could have a refund or suck up the downgrade with no compensation. EU compensatgion mysteriously would not apply to me.

This evening I tried to rebook. The new agent told me that I could not re-route, change my destination or have a refund. My only options apparently are an FTV or to claim my 75% refund after travelling. Apparently the website is offering me a re-route in error and the previous agent didn't know the correct rules.

If I call tomorrow, maybe I will be offered a trip on a transatlantic cruise liner or compensation of 25 Avios as an utterly new random option.

Utterly bizarre.
DrGee and RG1X like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
How are your roulette skills?

I paid cash so my experience may not mirror yours.

The website is inviting me to reroute on any date that I fancy.

This morning You First told me that my options were to re-route onto an aircraft with First, to move my dates by up to 3 days and/or to move my destination by up to 300 miles. Or I could have a refund or suck up the downgrade with no compensation. EU compensatgion mysteriously would not apply to me.

This evening I tried to rebook. The new agent told me that I could not re-route, change my destination or have a refund. My only options apparently are an FTV or to claim my 75% refund after travelling. Apparently the website is offering me a re-route in error and the previous agent didn't know the correct rules.

If I call tomorrow, maybe I will be offered a trip on a transatlantic cruise liner or compensation of 25 Avios as an utterly new random option.

Utterly bizarre.
that is what i was told as well.

the 300mi rule is something i ran into with a cancelled SJC service..which fine, SFO works. but for DEN, it is utterly useless as the nearest cities are PHX (602mi), DFW (641mi), LAX (862mi). plus there were three of us in F with 1 cash and 2 avios seats...and there is no other service to DEN with F (obvs). in my situation we changed some things to depart BCN-LHR-DEN instead, and accept the downgrade which is annoying. but the taxes and avios difference were refunded on those two tickets. as for the cash booking, i was fine taking the FTVs since the BCN-LHR-DEN flights in J were 1000 less in J than I paid for F and have an upcoming trip to use the FTV on.

still annoying though since i was treating my parents to this trip and while they are well accustomed to BA F, we never get the chance to fly together. but it will be fine.
Old May 7, 2021, 5:02 pm

I thought you'd be out there with a snowboard based on your user name. North America with the MTB is definitely on my bucket list but there's no way I'm good enough to race...
Sadly I'm not as quick as I was. Shattered my hip socket a couple of years back and it's been a long and painful road to recovery.
Old May 7, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: ba silver
Unfortunately BA can be very unflexible in these situations. Had you booked on a North American based airline you would be allowed any reasonable reroute without penalty. I know for a fact that Air Canada's COC allows for rebooking when an aircraft change leaves a particular cabin unavailable and have had tickets refunded or changed on US carriers in these situations. However, these days most airlines allow to cancel, get a credit and rebook. I have rebooked an AA ticket over ten times in six months. You may, however be responsible for any fare difference.
Old May 8, 2021, 1:42 am

BA allows reasonable reroutes as well on the Atlantic joint business routes and preserving value to make a new booking due to BWC/FTV?
Old May 8, 2021, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
BA allows reasonable reroutes as well on the Atlantic joint business routes and preserving value to make a new booking due to BWC/FTV?

but do BA consider it reasonable if they also must re-book an extra leg for you to get you to your destination? ie LHR-DEN becomes LHR-DFW-DEN? im guessing the answer is no, and thats where the issue is.
Old May 8, 2021, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
but do BA consider it reasonable if they also must re-book an extra leg for you to get you to your destination? ie LHR-DEN becomes LHR-DFW-DEN? im guessing the answer is no, and thats where the issue is.
The answer is yes, usually a reasonable request along those lines for a joint business route is allowed, so a downgraded LHR-LAS might be rebookable as a LHR-LAX-LAS to maintain F.
Old May 8, 2021, 3:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The restriction there is Maximum Permitted Mileage, and there's usually enough wriggle room on that to turn LHR-LAS to LHR-LAX-LAS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.