Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Downgrade from First to Club due to change of aircraft.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Downgrade from First to Club due to change of aircraft.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2021, 3:05 pm

Thank you, everyone. Now let's hope BA agrees! My first flight is next week, so I don't have a lot of time (or inclination) to scramble for alternate flights.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 8:32 am

All is now well. I spoke with another BA agent (this time by calling the local UK number) who was able to get permission to just cut through the Gordian knot of trying to re-price this. (The rate desk was still 'looking at it'.)
She decided that the involuntary downgrade negated my voluntary change, so she cancelled the original return flight and reissued my ticket with the flights I want. Then confirmed that I can apply for the downgrade compensation after my trip.
Why this couldn't have been done earlier is still a mystery, but I don't care any more.
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts.
Old May 6, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Downgrade from First

Haven't been here for a while but thought I'd just pop in to say that I've had an email downgrading us from First to Business for a LHR-DEN flight in Dec. First reaction was disappointment but then I thought about compensation. Am I due anything?
Old May 6, 2021, 11:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DrGee
Haven't been here for a while but thought I'd just pop in to say that I've had an email downgrading us from First to Business for a LHR-DEN flight in Dec. First reaction was disappointment but then I thought about compensation. Am I due anything?
Yes. A refund of 75% of the price of the segment, less taxes (but not surcharges). You can only claim once you flown in Business.

See the following for further details :-

The 2021 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004 - FlyerTalk Forums
Old May 6, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Much obliged.
Old May 6, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I guess they are processing downgrades today. I had the same for a flight out of Chicago at the end of May. I am unlikely to end up taking the flight anyway so hopefully that gives me a reason for a free cancellation
Old May 6, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by DrGee
same for me but next Feb/March
Old May 6, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I suspect this is due to an aircraft change similar to what happened to me on a LHR:PHX booking. Hopefully like mine your aircraft may change again and the First cabin will be reinstated. Good luck.
Old May 6, 2021, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
With fleet changes and a big reduction in First seating, I think people need to be aware of this. I've been banging on about maybe bookings but anything booked in First is obviously extra maybe and people to need to proceed with caution here. BA isn't alone, Lufthansa, for example, has got rid of two-thirds of its First capacity.

Originally Posted by Furby
I guess they are processing downgrades today. I had the same for a flight out of Chicago at the end of May. I am unlikely to end up taking the flight anyway so hopefully that gives me a reason for a free cancellation
Unlikely I fear, though obviously worth trying. You can have an FTV though.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
yeah its a bummer--same--had bought first tix for me and my parents to DEN in november. what i suppose is lagging is the agent said the new plane is a 777...which is what the old plane was, but rows 1 and 2 are blocked. i presume the system will catch up later? i'd guess back to the A350 which was put in this summer already (when it eliminated first on yet another ticket of mine)
Old May 6, 2021, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... I've been banging on about maybe bookings...
No! That cannot be. I haven't noticed that at all... well, not too much!

rb211.
Old May 7, 2021, 2:45 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I do sometimes wonder if F is being consigned to the scrapheap by degrees - reduction in capacity combined with club suite rollout. And I bet a lot less corporate demand (and/or largesse) to support it in future...
Old May 7, 2021, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser
I do sometimes wonder if F is being consigned to the scrapheap by degrees - reduction in capacity combined with club suite rollout. And I bet a lot less corporate demand (and/or largesse) to support it in future...
And how long before Club will be reclassified as First, Premium Economy as Business, and extra legroom Y seats as Premium Economy (with prices the same obviously). Then will will be back to the 1980s/early 1990s again!
Old May 7, 2021, 6:20 am

Frustrated to have had the same thing happen to me, means that sans tier point run I'll be back to Bronze next year.
Old May 7, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yes. A refund of 75% of the price of the segment, less taxes (but not surcharges).
Is this the case even though the flight is not until December? By no means an expert, but I thought compensation only applied when the cancellation/downgrade occurred within a few weeks of the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.