Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

11/05/21 - BA load more flights to 13 destinations from LHR for Summer Hols

Old May 11, 2021, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum

Great post from Raffles here:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...y-august-2021/
Lots of flights and Avios availability to:
Bodrum
Chania
Corfu
Heraklion
Kalamata
Kefalonia
Kos
Lanzarote
Paphos
Preveza
Rhodes
Tenerife
Thessaloniki
paulaf likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Bodrum? Really?
Old May 11, 2021, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC
I’m surprised Madeira didn’t get some extra rotations this summer. But it’s nice to see the leisure market booming from LHR. We’ll be spoilt for choice!

(Agree Bodrum seems an odd choice though given the Red List addition)
Old May 11, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Funchal is quite a challenging airport and I think requires some additional training. Do BA have enough pilots trained for this? It might be a consideration, at least.
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I’m surprised Madeira didn’t get some extra rotations this summer. But it’s nice to see the leisure market booming from LHR. We’ll be spoilt for choice!

(Agree Bodrum seems an odd choice though given the Red List addition)
I think the Government are trying to stop people from Red list countries arriving in the UK. By banning direct flights and cutting off 4 major ME hubs (UAE, DOH, IST) they can achieve that from Africa, the Indian Subcontinent and Asia. Bodrum as a beech holiday destination might be an exception.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
I think the Government are trying to stop people from Red list countries arriving in the UK. By banning direct flights and cutting off 4 major ME hubs (UAE, DOH, IST) they can achieve that from Africa, the Indian Subcontinent and Asia. Bodrum as a beech holiday destination might be an exception.
I understand your reasoning, but you would still have to go in to enforced hotel quarantine upon arrival from Bodrum in the UK at a cost of Ł1750 - so I can't see anyone being tempted by that regardless of how lovely the beaches are there.
ECR and argonath like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
The government have been clear that they won’t split countries into regions (apart from islands), so if IST is a red zone, the whole of Turkey will be.
Old May 11, 2021, 5:03 am

Turkey was a political addition to the red list due to the Champions League final and the public "outrage" over people (legitimately) coming from India via Turkey. With a national lockdown and plummeting cases (and the Champions League final done or moved), it won't be long before it's removed. Besides, routes via Turkey are too important to the UK Home Office for the ban on direct flights to last too long.

Remember, Portugal was on the Red List once.
Old May 11, 2021, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Bucket and Spade Airways !
Old May 11, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by yellow_peril
Great post from Raffles here:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...y-august-2021/
Lots of flights and Avios availability to:
Bodrum
Chania
Corfu
Heraklion
Kalamata
Kefalonia
Kos
Lanzarote
Paphos
Preveza
Rhodes
Tenerife
Thessaloniki
Looks like Malta is increasing from 5 to 9 a week too.
yellow_peril likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

And hopefully more flights from EDI/GLA etc now that the Scottish Govt has announced that from Monday a traffic light system will be adopted ( similar to England)

Posted a thread on the new Scottish restrictions from 17th May in the UK & Irealand forum. Incl : Alcohol can be served indoors until 2230

Local lockdowns in the UK

Regards

TBS
yellow_peril likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Slight frustration (for me anyway!) that the Summer Season finishes the week Half Term starts - so can get to lots of places, just can't get back!
Old May 11, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I'm glad that additional BJV frequencies have been added.

It's a really good sign that Turkey was added to the red list not because of our case numbers but because of the folks that are trying to evade hotel quarantine in the UK by transferring over there when coming from a red-list country.
Old May 11, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by steview111
Turkey was a political addition to the red list due to the Champions League final ...
I've seen this suggestion elsewhere. It sounds like nonsense: what is the political advantage the UK hopes to gain - apart from he obvious one of protecting its health services?

Originally Posted by steview111
......and the public "outrage" over people (legitimately) coming from India via Turkey.
Not sure about public outrage. IST offered not only opportunities for "creative" transfers, but also an uneasy mix of transfer passengers airside who may or not have negative Covid tests. This on top of the fudging of Covid stats uncovered last year.

Of course, Turkey will come off the red list sometime ... and I hope that's soon: but we might have to wait a while for the UK authorities to have their confidence restored.
Old May 11, 2021, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've seen this suggestion elsewhere. It sounds like nonsense: what is the political advantage the UK hopes to gain - apart from he obvious one of protecting its health services?
To stop 10,000+ football fans (with or without tickets) going to a place with a fairly high rate of infection. Pretty obvious really.

Why else would they add Turkey to the red list when it’s cases were falling and around 20,000 per day, and not when they were 60,000+?
Old May 11, 2021, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It's a really good sign that Turkey was added to the red list not because of our case numbers but because of the folks that are trying to evade hotel quarantine in the UK by transferring over there when coming from a red-list country.
I'm not sure I understand. Assuming red list inclusion was only because of the risk from quarantine evasion (and that's a brave assumption), how will that risk have evaporated in only a few weeks ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.