Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde Nose Cone in the CCR

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by 13901
The plan was for it to be dangling from the ceiling as far as I know, not to be on poles. Frankly, having an aircraft sticking on a pole out of the floor would've been ugly IMHO (and of course would've meant that HAL would've fit a shop underneath it... because if you stand still for too long in any terminal somebody from HAL will come around, plug you to the mains and use you as the outlet for a shop's till).
I mean better undercover, on the ground, in a hangar with a technical display. At ground level in the terminal would doubless take up too much room. So compromise would be on poles undercover as better than sitting outside in car park. I would also suggest that from a structural perspective, having the aircraft of that size supported by its landing gear is preferable to hanging from a ceiling. It is telling that no aircraft o the size of Concorde has been displayed suspended.
I don't see why it would have been an issue in terms of retail space. Walls or partitions could have been placed in line with the support poles. Some creative thinking would have been needed yes, but aren't architects supposted to be trained to do just that?
Franky16 likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 5:17 am

The bottom line is that nobody had neither the willingness, the money or the interest to do it. A hangar would've been impractical considering how much that space is in short supply in LHR; within the terminal it'd been too risky, costly, cumbersome, in the way, delete as applicable. A solution a la Air France (gate guardian, a bit like the 380 model outside T5 or the very crude models of Etihad planes outside T4) would've been my favourite option, especially considering that the T5 roundabout is a bit lacklustre, but... then again, you need somebody to fork out the cash. Back in happier times, BA simply wasn't the airline to indulge in this sort of things, whether we like it or not. And now, considering the current situation (IAG has bled another billion this past quarter, it's unlikely that they'll make any money this year) it's even less likely...
Old May 10, 2021, 7:27 am

I'm surprised they didn't sell it along with the first class crockery a few months ago. Surely they could get a few quid for it...
Franky16 likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by 13901
The bottom line is that nobody had neither the willingness, the money or the interest to do it. A hangar would've been impractical considering how much that space is in short supply in LHR; within the terminal it'd been too risky, costly, cumbersome, in the way, delete as applicable. A solution a la Air France (gate guardian, a bit like the 380 model outside T5 or the very crude models of Etihad planes outside T4) would've been my favourite option, especially considering that the T5 roundabout is a bit lacklustre, but... then again, you need somebody to fork out the cash. Back in happier times, BA simply wasn't the airline to indulge in this sort of things, whether we like it or not. And now, considering the current situation (IAG has bled another billion this past quarter, it's unlikely that they'll make any money this year) it's even less likely...
my understanding was that T5 plans were too far advanced by the time they decided to retire her to make it practical and cost effective to install 😢
Old May 11, 2021, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
my understanding was that T5 plans were too far advanced by the time they decided to retire her to make it practical and cost effective to install 😢
Yes and they needed the space for those ridiculous horses
gliderpilot and SxMan like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:23 am

I am not sure if they are still there but the seats in the conference room near the entrance were the actual seats from Concorde with wheels added.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by speedbird001
I am not sure if they are still there but the seats in the conference room near the entrance were the actual seats from Concorde with wheels added.
I believe they were removed a few years ago, and the boardroom has now been converted to the new sleep pods.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes they went maybe 2/3 years ago sadly.

EDIT: actually may have been 4 years, my sense of time has completely gone with the pause over the last year!
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
I love this nosetalgic thread.
VSLover, mrow and Franky16 like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes they went maybe 2/3 years ago sadly.

EDIT: actually may have been 4 years, my sense of time has completely gone with the pause over the last year!
Some of them had made their way to the heritage centre at Waterside when I was last there, which was maybe 2 and a half years ago.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Sorry if I missed this. Is this accessable to get a photo of/with? I'm flying out in July and will have CCT access.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by TTmex
Sorry if I missed this. Is this accessable to get a photo of/with? I'm flying out in July and will have CCT access.
This is on the terrasse of the Concorde room, not on the (CC)Terrasse of the Flounge, so I doubt it. Unless of course the CCR reopens by then but my crystal ball isn't answering at this time.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
You can see it on taxi out....?
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
You can see it on taxi out....?
Provided 27L is the active runway.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 12:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by TTmex
You can get a photo of it from downstairs looking up - I saw it the other day while walking through the terminal!

aks120
TTmex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.