Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chances of A380 for August

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2021, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Chances of A380 for August

I’m booked to SFO on 20th Aug (booked ages ago) and it’s still showing as A380. I’m guessing the chances are slim. Thoughts? If it changes, what’ll replace it?
Old May 5, 2021, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
And another one for that needed crystal ball thread....

I'd say super slim to zero. More likely one service only, and 777 / 787

Did you book Alaska or United ?
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Haha I know, all very “how long is a piece of string”

Went with AS in the end, more so for the new lounge
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:43 am

I'm not so sure, BA are tentatively planning an A380 return and if US is green list demand will be high + plenty of connections to Europe - one of the consequences of moving the Gatwick flights to Heathrow is BA becomes a great option for Greek Islands , Croatia, Ibiza etc which are all v popular and open to Americans

But I certainly wouldn't plan anything around it at this point
Old May 5, 2021, 3:28 pm

August which year?
SLGO likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Zero chance. Maybe even -10
Old May 5, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Zero chance. Maybe even -10
I’ll go 90%. One of us will be very wrong.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:00 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by sammyg901
I'm not so sure, BA are tentatively planning an A380 return and if US is green list demand will be high + plenty of connections to Europe - one of the consequences of moving the Gatwick flights to Heathrow is BA becomes a great option for Greek Islands , Croatia, Ibiza etc which are all v popular and open to Americans
BA have been tentatively planning an A380 return every month since November.
Demand will be higher in the summer for sure, but with all the Testing Requirements and risks of changes to borders again its going to remain subdued. A green light is not going to suddenly change traffic volumes from 787s with 20-30 pax to volumes needing A380s

I think BA still hope it will return. But mot others have already ditched it I fear its just a waiting game.
Old May 6, 2021, 4:34 am

My LAX return on the 31st is still A380, I tried a dummy booking and managed to see that the plane is so far empty, a few booked on the upper deck. I'm in 1st with the wife and we appear to be the only ones in there so far. I would be disappointed if we get changed but not surprised, the situation could change once they are added as a green destination tho.
Old May 6, 2021, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by minichr1s
My LAX return on the 31st is still A380, I tried a dummy booking and managed to see that the plane is so far empty, a few booked on the upper deck. I'm in 1st with the wife and we appear to be the only ones in there so far. I would be disappointed if we get changed but not surprised, the situation could change once they are added as a green destination tho.
Seatmaps in non-F cabins are not an indication of load, as many passengers don't select their seat until check-in as they don't have status and are unwilling to pay if on an inflexible fare (as the majority will be).
Old May 6, 2021, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
Seatmaps in non-F cabins are not an indication of load, as many passengers don't select their seat until check-in as they don't have status and are unwilling to pay if on an inflexible fare (as the majority will be).
Didn't think of that, makes sense. Still 90% sure we wont be on an A380 come August
Genius1 and A P Yu like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 8:49 am

More likely than not, but, it obviously depends on decisions made in US and U.K.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Sounds like the pilots have been told it will be back in August... whether that holds in anyone's guess...

revorgap and minichr1s like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.