Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-HKG (with pax) expected to resume this week

Old May 3, 21, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

There is no official announcement yet. But the SCMP is usually well informed.
Old May 3, 21, 3:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
At the moment, the first flight in BA's schedule, with passengers, is Monday 17 May., BA31, which looks like a 77W.
Old May 3, 21, 4:47 am

Hopefully they'll allow crew layovers too which would put a stop to the current 28+ hour duty.
Old May 3, 21, 5:49 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MFCC View Post
Hopefully they'll allow crew layovers too which would put a stop to the current 28+ hour duty.
I might be wrong but I believe crew layovers are allowed, but they have to be in specific hotels and crew are subject to on arrival testing. If they test positive then the crew must go to hospital and isolation and canít leave Hong Kong until recovered. This is a risk BA doesnít want to take.
Old May 3, 21, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
At the moment, the first flight in BA's schedule, with passengers, is Monday 17 May., BA31, which looks like a 77W.
I’m booked on BA31 in October, at the moment it’s a 777W with only 5 seats booked in J (I managed to get my OH and I in our second choice of seats). Whether or not it actually happens is anyone’s guess

Last edited by gerryod5; May 3, 21 at 8:40 am Reason: Clarification
Old May 4, 21, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
If they test positive then the crew must go to hospital and isolation and canít leave Hong Kong until recovered. This is a risk BA doesnít want to take.
... more a risk the crew donít want to take!
MFCC likes this.
Old May 4, 21, 7:03 am

I might be wrong but I believe crew layovers are allowed, but they have to be in specific hotels and crew are subject to on arrival testing. If they test positive then the crew must go to hospital and isolation and canít leave Hong Kong until recovered. This is a risk BA doesnít want to take.
Can't the flight just continue to the nearest airport outside Hong Kong/PRC (like Gaoxiong or Ha Noi) where the crew stays?
Old May 4, 21, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, QR Gold, CX Silver, DL Gold Medallion, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Im a new user View Post
Can't the flight just continue to the nearest airport outside Hong Kong/PRC (like Gaoxiong or Ha Noi) where the crew stays?
I think this method actually works but requires the fifth freedom flight rights and a (sort of) base? please correct me if I am wrong.

Beforehand, IIRC KLM flights to HKG (and possibly other East Asia destinations) did add a stop in BKK (AMS-BKK-HKG-BKK-AMS) and as told by others, it is to change crews and allow crews to stay over in BKK, making the journey BKK-HKG-BKK a turnaround operation.
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old May 16, 21, 7:47 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I see that the HKG departure has reverted to the evening (23:10 vs 16:00). Does that mean crew are laying over in HK now?
Old May 17, 21, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I see that the HKG departure has reverted to the evening (23:10 vs 16:00). Does that mean crew are laying over in HK now?
It seems very messy.
BA31 only flies (with pax) on Friday and Sunday during May, (1840-1340) but BA32 flies daily (2310-0450). Maybe the incoming ac BA31 does not carry pax except on Fridays and Sundays.

Then in June all are daily

F is again available on these flights. This would suggest that the crew is laying over in a dedicated quarantined hotel near airport.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: