FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR-HKG (with pax) expected to resume this week (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2039278-lhr-hkg-pax-expected-resume-week.html)

brunos May 3, 2021 3:40 am

LHR-HKG (with pax) expected to resume this week

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

There is no official announcement yet. But the SCMP is usually well informed.

corporate-wage-slave May 3, 2021 3:51 am

At the moment, the first flight in BA's schedule, with passengers, is Monday 17 May., BA31, which looks like a 77W.

MFCC May 3, 2021 4:47 am

Hopefully they'll allow crew layovers too which would put a stop to the current 28+ hour duty.

sxc May 3, 2021 5:49 am

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 33222391)
Hopefully they'll allow crew layovers too which would put a stop to the current 28+ hour duty.

I might be wrong but I believe crew layovers are allowed, but they have to be in specific hotels and crew are subject to on arrival testing. If they test positive then the crew must go to hospital and isolation and can’t leave Hong Kong until recovered. This is a risk BA doesn’t want to take.

gerryod5 May 3, 2021 8:39 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 33222346)
At the moment, the first flight in BA's schedule, with passengers, is Monday 17 May., BA31, which looks like a 77W.

I’m booked on BA31 in October, at the moment it’s a 777W with only 5 seats booked in J (I managed to get my OH and I in our second choice of seats). Whether or not it actually happens is anyone’s guess

Confus May 4, 2021 5:46 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 33222477)
If they test positive then the crew must go to hospital and isolation and can’t leave Hong Kong until recovered. This is a risk BA doesn’t want to take.

... more a risk the crew don’t want to take!

Im a new user May 4, 2021 7:03 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 33222477)
I might be wrong but I believe crew layovers are allowed, but they have to be in specific hotels and crew are subject to on arrival testing. If they test positive then the crew must go to hospital and isolation and can’t leave Hong Kong until recovered. This is a risk BA doesn’t want to take.

Can't the flight just continue to the nearest airport outside Hong Kong/PRC (like Gaoxiong or Ha Noi) where the crew stays?

flyingroundtheworld May 4, 2021 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Im a new user (Post 33225262)
Can't the flight just continue to the nearest airport outside Hong Kong/PRC (like Gaoxiong or Ha Noi) where the crew stays?

I think this method actually works but requires the fifth freedom flight rights and a (sort of) base? please correct me if I am wrong.

Beforehand, IIRC KLM flights to HKG (and possibly other East Asia destinations) did add a stop in BKK (AMS-BKK-HKG-BKK-AMS) and as told by others, it is to change crews and allow crews to stay over in BKK, making the journey BKK-HKG-BKK a turnaround operation.

sxc May 16, 2021 7:47 pm

I see that the HKG departure has reverted to the evening (23:10 vs 16:00). Does that mean crew are laying over in HK now?

brunos May 17, 2021 4:14 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 33256826)
I see that the HKG departure has reverted to the evening (23:10 vs 16:00). Does that mean crew are laying over in HK now?

It seems very messy.
BA31 only flies (with pax) on Friday and Sunday during May, (1840-1340) but BA32 flies daily (2310-0450). Maybe the incoming ac BA31 does not carry pax except on Fridays and Sundays.

Then in June all are daily

F is again available on these flights. This would suggest that the crew is laying over in a dedicated quarantined hotel near airport.

GBOAC Aug 10, 2021 11:30 am

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...-kong-service/

BA to resume HKG this week.

Does anyone know whether the rule changes will also permit tourists to do a direct transit (different tickets and carriers, but no checked luggage)?

KARFA Aug 10, 2021 12:12 pm

well the timatic entry was updated today and still says this so it still doesn't seem possible to transit on separate tickets.

tbh i wouldn't plan to transit HKG on separate tickets or expect to enter without extended enforced quarantine until 2022.

3. Passengers transiting through Hong Kong SAR, China must:
- have a connecting flight booked on the same ticket, and
- have all the boarding passes printed, and
- have their baggage checked through until the final destination.

GBOAC Aug 10, 2021 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 33480247)
well the timatic entry was updated today and still says this so it still doesn't seem possible to transit on separate tickets.

tbh i wouldn't plan to transit HKG on separate tickets or expect to enter without extended enforced quarantine until 2022.

Will this impact BA's schedule, or even make BA more flexible about rebooking for pax who can't legally travel (even if flights are 'operating').
I was kinda banking on HKG being cancelled to push my 50% flights further into 2022 given the direction things are heading... (limited or zero avios availabilty in F for next 12 months so need some generosity from BA)

KARFA Aug 10, 2021 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by GBOAC (Post 33480282)
Will this impact BA's schedule, or even make BA more flexible about rebooking for pax who can't legally travel (even if flights are 'operating').
I was kinda banking on HKG being cancelled to push my 50% flights further into 2022 given the direction things are heading... (limited or zero avios availabilty in F for next 12 months so need some generosity from BA)

I think you better hope your flight is cancelled. If it isn't I would expect any change to be treated as a voluntary change.