Alaska not recognizing BA Gold status

Old May 23, 2023, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My family and I are travelling AS SFO-YYC in July. I had booked the tickets using Avios (via BAEC) on the understanding that our BAEC status got us the free bags and lounge access. From reading the posts above, it seems that lounge access has been removed, which is disappointing but not a a real problem, however if we have to pay for our 7 bags - it will be quite expensive!
Have there been any official announcements about changes to Oneworld benefits on AS?
Old May 23, 2023, 4:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't think lounge access has been withdrawn. A small subset of agents not knowing the rules shouldn't be extrapolated to a change in policy. The AS website is clear based on what I quoted, and in line with what AA also do with their lounges in the US for domestic flights. You are on an international flight as well so there should be even less scope for lounge agent confusion.

Assuming you are in Y, in terms of checked bags you should have a free allowance, I think 3 for a oneworld emerald but that only applies to you and not all passengers on the itinerary. if any others in your party are oneworld ruby or sapphire they would also get 2 bag free check in allowance.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think lounge access has been withdrawn. A small subset of agents not knowing the rules shouldn't be extrapolated to a change in policy. The AS website is clear based on what I quoted, and in line with what AA also do with their lounges in the US for domestic flights. You are on an international flight as well so there should be even less scope for lounge agent confusion.

Assuming you are in Y, in terms of checked bags you should have a free allowance, I think 3 for a oneworld emerald but that only applies to you and not all passengers on the itinerary. if any others in your party are oneworld ruby or sapphire they would also get 2 bag free check in allowance.
Thank-you - sorry I had misunderstood the previous posts, thinking they meant a policy change. Party has 2 emerald and 2 ruby, and my understanding of the AS baggage page was the same.

I am wondering how actively they enforce the size limit?
We don't normally have 7 bags, but 3 or 4 bigger ones which would exceed the AS size (and we have never had any issues with size on BA, NZ, or CX [and CX have similar size requirement - but seem to ignore it?]), so we have swapped the 4 big bags for 7 smaller half sizes.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I had lounge entry issues at SEA just last week.
Agent didn't know the rules, and refused entry because we were flying coach and the flight wasn't international.
I politely insisted, so in the end he checked on a small folder and told us we were indeed admissible.
AS has to pass around some more instructions about OWEs...

Regarding luggage. they arthen ough "by the book"...
Old May 23, 2023, 8:04 am

Flying AS SEA >ANC next Monday, in Y, so I will report back on our experience.
Old May 23, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Our experience at PDX today (flying PDX-SEA-LHR in J/F) was perfectly pleasant and my advice to anyone getting into an AS lounge is make it clear from the outset that you are OWE/S with BA.

The lounge agent was then easily able to get us in; when on just the BP it was a flat no (PDX-SEA is a $30 fee). I asked the agent what was easiest for her (eg seeing the BP for SEA-LHR, my BAEC card, my PDX SEA BP with the OWE number). A = oh you are OWE with BA, let me handle that.

it seems like they need to manually over-ride the no entry option the scanning defaults to. YMMV.

ps the comparison with AA lounge entry people (and the staff inside) is chalk and cheese. No question that if there was an AS vs AA routing choice it would be Alaska every time
Old May 23, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by KARFA

You might want to check this against ASs policy of only allowing a limited number of bags per customer to certain destinations in peak season (read airports close to ski resorts in winter mainly, but some other destinations also have this)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...eptions#limits

We are flying SEA-YLW this winter and were told 1 bag no exceptions, but this has been updated with an exception for ski equipment 😵‍💫
KARFA likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Just got this reply, its neither here nor there. But sounds like they are working on fixing it. When entering the lounge I also stated clearly that I was OWE with BA. In my case(s) it really did depend on who the person at the lounge entrance was, some knew the rules others didnt.

Dear Chiller3333,

Thank you for sharing feedback on your accessing our Lounge locations in Seattle. It's our goal to make sure every trip you have on Alaska goes smoothly. The best way for us to do that is hearing from you.

It is disheartening to hear of the difficulties you encountered as a British Airways Emerald oneworld member and gaining entrance to our Lounges. Along with my sincere apologies, I would like to offer you my assurance that your concerns will be forwarded directly to our Lounge Administrator for an internal review so we can continue to improve and take better care of you next time.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you aboard another Alaska flight soon.

Sincerely,
Old May 23, 2023, 7:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I've not had any issues at SEA for several recent trips. Sadly, IAD-SEA so no lounge at IAD. At least as far as I know.
Last trip was me and better half (BA Bronze) and no issues with entry.
Old May 23, 2023, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
Back in the ANC lounge for round 2. My AA flight is delayed resulting in a mis connect in ORD and an arduous itinerary back to LHR. The AA check in lady offered to walk me to the Lounge to ensure i got in And Im in, just asked for my gold card.

we have plenty of threads on this forum about loud speaker calls, a chap has just walked in and pulled out a guitar. Im cursed with this ANC lounge.
Old May 24, 2023, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gormless
I've not had any issues at SEA for several recent trips. Sadly, IAD-SEA so no lounge at IAD. At least as far as I know.
Last trip was me and better half (BA Bronze) and no issues with entry.
At IAD if it's open at the time you depart, there is the BA Lounge. If you ask them politely, they would let you in as you are a BA Gold.
Despite the lounge being small, unlike PHL and SFO, I was never flamed, sent back, or provided capacity excuses at the IAD BA Galleries Club, when showing my physical BAEC card and my boarding pass.
Old May 24, 2023, 1:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
A couple of people have mentioned showing a physical card, and I have one, but it shows expiry in '21. I'm flying with AS in late summer, so hopefully this - with OWEmerald on my boarding pass - will get me in the lounges.
Old May 24, 2023, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by LSunbury
A couple of people have mentioned showing a physical card, and I have one, but it shows expiry in '21. I'm flying with AS in late summer, so hopefully this - with OWEmerald on my boarding pass - will get me in the lounges.

You can still order an updated Gold card and baggage tags through the BAEC website if logged in.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 31, 2023 at 10:13 am Reason: FIx quote
Old May 24, 2023, 2:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by Alan T

You can still order an updated Gold card and baggage tags through the BAEC website if logged in.

Ah thanks, found it. I had in the back of my mind that they were no longer issued. Just not automatically I guess.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 31, 2023 at 10:13 am Reason: Fix quote
Old May 24, 2023, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by LSunbury
Ah thanks, found it. I had in the back of my mind that they were no longer issued. Just not automatically I guess.
Yeah, only by request now and only for Golds.

I’ll see how we get on on Monday at SEA?

I’m also hoping they will still ‘ interline’ my bags on the way back ANC>SEA>LHR as we are on separate tickets. They did last time all the way back to MAN, and we are flying in AS F on the ANC>SEA leg if it has any influence with the check-in staff?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 31, 2023 at 10:14 am Reason: Fix quote

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.