Alaska not recognizing BA Gold status

Old May 8, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by gormless
We ran into this one recently - returning on AS SFO to IAD after a week at the RSA conference (SWMBO was speaking, I was the "emotional support animal") I captured enough swag and presents for the grandkids to put us over. AS had no willingness to compromise above 23KG.
No big deal, I moved a book and our washbags to a backpack and checked that with no issues. It really wasn't that far over.
I was in the same boat, (or plane, or both!) Came off a Transatlantic cruise from Rome to Fort Lauderdale to fly back home to San Diego as a US domestic flight. My girlfriends bag was 26KG and my bag was 20KG and my suit carrier was 15KG. You would have thought that they would let it slide, but no. No big deal to remove 3KG from the overweight bag and redistribute it amongst the other two checked bag.
Old May 9, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, UA Premier Silver, Hilton Diamond
I had an opposite experience. We flew SAN-SEA-SAN and going plane was full, but fa's came and offered us free drinks and food, Coming home, lots of space available, FA tried to get us into first, but moved us up into premium economy instead. Once again offered us free drinks and snacks
Old May 22, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
I have just been denied access to the ANC lounge. Telling me I dont have access as I dont
have a long haul ticket. Tried showing the agent the website and they insisted I was wrong!
Old May 22, 2023, 10:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So the agent thinks alaska are wrong here?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...cies-and-rules

Frequently asked questions: oneworld

I am a oneworld Emerald or Sapphire via a oneworld member airline other than American or Alaska, do I need to be on an international itinerary to enter the lounge?
If you are a oneworld Emerald or Sapphire member that has been earned through an airline other than American or Alaska, you are not required to have an international itinerary. For valid entry, the qualifying frequent flier number must be in your reservation.
I would stand your ground and ask to escalate (politely of course ). God knows why they think they are correct.
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
Originally Posted by KARFA
So the agent thinks alaska are wrong here?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...cies-and-rules

I would stand your ground and ask to escalate (politely of course ). God knows why
they think they are correct.
heeding your advice I have just marched back in! Showed them everything again! They insisted I am wrong and used the website to further back up their claims. Long short of it they let me in as a good will wish me luck tomorrow!

Dragons now conversing about what the policy is. On a side note didnt realise the intimacy of the lounge, quite few stares as I walked in! Ill check the Alaska thread for a DYKWIA.
Buster CT1K and Gallus1 like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 10:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well done.

That specific faq I quoted is very clear and leaves no room for ambiguity on your situation, so I am curious to what part of the website says otherwise?
TarquinMontague and Gallus1 like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 10:31 am

This is now turning in to quite the situation. The supervisor has appeared who also doesnt know the rules, how very embarrassing.

I am now back at the desk presenting everything to them. All I wanted I was a coffee.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Had the exact same situation at PDX and SEA on Thursday and Friday.
Ended up being let in as an exception but did show them the website afterwards and they were baffled.
The lounge people argued that the website was out of date and that AS would probably change it soon.
I dont think they even can and did leave a comment (requesting a reply) through Alaska listens.
Their iPads are what tells them you cannot enter even though the flow chart says otherwise.
Feels like a rather simple IT problem that could be fixed if they wanted to (heres to hoping they will).
Old May 22, 2023, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Had the exact same situation at PDX and SEA on Thursday and Friday.
Ended up being let in as an exception but did show them the website afterwards and they were baffled.
The lounge people argued that the website was out of date and that AS would probably change it soon.
I dont think they even can and did leave a comment (requesting a reply) through Alaska listens.
Their iPads are what tells them you cannot enter even though the flow chart says otherwise.
Feels like a rather simple IT problem that could be fixed if they wanted to (heres to hoping they will).
Pretty much identical to my situation. The supervisor told me well were not getting paid for housing you today

I am back in the same lounge tomorrow, so lets see how that goes.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
Pretty much identical to my situation. The supervisor told me well were not getting paid for housing you today

I am back in the same lounge tomorrow, so lets see how that goes.
I hope you get an opportunity to fill this in, including the AS website paragraph and asking for a response:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback/general-comments
Old May 22, 2023, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I hope you get an opportunity to fill this in, including the AS website paragraph and asking for a response:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback/general-comments
That's the link through which I submitted as well.
Hopefully they'll listen and fix this ASAP.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Had no issues on 2 occasions at PDX the other week whilst travelling in economy domestically on AA (to LAX and ORD).
They always want to see my Gold Card though to enter any of their lounges.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have had no issues recently, although all my AS lounge visits have been in SFO (where I will be again, on Sunday). The AS agent at the door scanned my BP and that was enough. Chiller3333 and TarquinMontague were you both in First on AS? I am wondering if there's some confusion over the 2100 mile rule which Alaska implemented last year whereby you now need to have a flight over 2100 miles to get you into their lounges? Obviously this shouldn't apply to you if you were using your BAEC-earned status to enter the lounge but it's the only thing I can think of that might explain this.
Old May 22, 2023, 3:53 pm

Indeed, was traveling in First but made very clear that I should be granted access based on being Emerald with an airline other than AA/AS.
It very clearly was a situation of computer says no though.
One of the (really nice) agents did try to overrule it by selection OW Emerald as reason for access (at least thats what it looked like from where I stood) but even that the system didnt allow.
It was a combination of the system being wrong and the staff not being sound on the rules.

It also seemed like they had just been given new guidance (they were referring to the flow chart as being the most up to date one, which made it seem like it was new), so maybe that issue really only started manifesting itself after some very recent system update?
Just playing the guessing game here :P

Was my first AS trip and while the experience in the air was quite pleasant, this left a bad aftertaste.
Old May 23, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Was my first AS trip and while the experience in the air was quite pleasant, this left a bad aftertaste.
Understandable, but I'd chalk it down to teething problems due to so many recent changes in the AS rules. I've flown AS three times and each time it's been a wonderful experience, so don't let it colour your opinion of their operation as a whole. They're vastly superior to AA.
Chiller3333 and SavvyTravel like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.