Alaska not recognizing BA Gold status

Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I want to book an Avios flight LAS-SFO. I've been on Alaskas' website and their normal saver rate doesn't include checked baggage.

However the avios criteria booking on Alaska isn't very specific. If I book with BA then I get to use my BAEC status allowance, so would the same be right booking an Avios flight on Alaska/American?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 4:05 pm

I booked with Avios via BA, and I presume Avios seats are only available in the cheapest fares - but not certain.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 4:08 pm

I have booked our flights SEA - YYC flights with Avios on the BA website. It shows no baggage included, but my understanding is that Oneworld status gets you 2-3, free bags on Alaska.
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
I want to book an Avios flight LAS-SFO. I've been on Alaskas' website and their normal saver rate doesn't include checked baggage.

However the avios criteria booking on Alaska isn't very specific. If I book with BA then I get to use my BAEC status allowance, so would the same be right booking an Avios flight on Alaska/American?
AS economy redemptions booked via BA are issued as Hand Baggage Only tickets. However, your BA Gold status would permit you to check in 3 bags free of charge even if you were to book a Saver ticket directly with AS themselves. It is worth noting they only the status holder receives this and not any other non-status passengers on the same booking.

This link details the various checked bag fee waivers in place which includes oneworld Sapphire and Emerald passengers: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ers-exceptions
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 5:06 am

Thank you, that's a great help.
Old May 1, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by whisper2
I had this issue last month and contacted AS through webchat and the agent fixed for me in a few minutes. Now I can select seats in the Oneworld elite seating area.
Was this before or after completing your booking? Unlike AA where you can select your seats based on status as part of the booking process with AS you need to wait until after the reservation has been ticketed before you can go back in and select seats for free in the "Alaska and oneworld elites" section.
Old May 1, 2023, 10:47 am

After booking. I booked last year on BA website with Avios. One flight had seats allocated, but the return had been re-booked after the flight was cancelled and there were no seats selected. I selected the seats on Alaska website last month after getting the Alaska booking reference from the Alaska web chat.
Old May 1, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
For anyone re-visiting this thread in 2023, there are quite a lot of positive benefits of being BA Gold when flying AS.

- Lounge access (+1 guest) into any oneworld lounge is granted irrespective of cabin and route. Paper and mobile boarding passes both work seamlessly at AS lounges
- When flying Economy, BA Golds will receive a chocolate and a drink which other non-status passengers do not receive (in addition to the complimentary drinks and snacks service)
- 3 checked bags are permitted even on a Saver fare (NB: only available for the status holder only)
- AS flights seem to be crediting successfully to BAEC automatically now
- Free seat selection except on Saver fares (excludes Premium Class)

This isnt a status benefit but AS do through check separate tickets with whoever they have interline agreements with provided the connections meet MCT which might be another reason to choose AS over AA within the US.
One caveat regarding luggage Even as aOWE/S and even if traveling in F, the weight limit per checked bag on AS remains at 23KG/50lbs
Old May 2, 2023, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
One caveat regarding luggage Even as aOWE/S and even if traveling in F, the weight limit per checked bag on AS remains at 23KG/50lbs
True but another positive caveat is that should you be requesting through check onto a separate international ticket with a oneworld carrier and if that itinerary permits you 32kg per bag, AS will honour the international tickets allowance.
Old May 4, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Has anyone had any luck selecting exit row seats on Alaska as a BA Gold? It seems to keep trying to charge me another $90. When flying American they are free to select, so seems odd that they are chargeable on Alaska.
Old May 4, 2023, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Cheapskate22
Has anyone had any luck selecting exit row seats on Alaska as a BA Gold? It seems to keep trying to charge me another $90. When flying American they are free to select, so seems odd that they are chargeable on Alaska.
Premium class and exit row seats are not free for OW elites on AS.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old May 4, 2023, 6:33 pm

so seems odd that they are chargeable on Alaska.
Unfortunately, what type of seating exactly an airline decides to offer on a free-of-charge basis to other airlines oneworld status is entirely at the discretion of the individual operating airline. QF also does not offer free emergency exit seats to BA status holders as another example.

The oneworld official benefit/policy states only that Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating as the benefit. Theres no compulsion for this to be Emergency Exit or Extra Legroom seats. It could theoretically even be the last 2 rows of economy should the operating airline deem that as preferred!
Old May 4, 2023, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I made a booking on AS couple of months ago using avios. I have exit row seats selected for no charge. Im BA silver.
Old May 5, 2023, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
In my albeit limited experience, as a BA Gold, I could select exit row seats (once AS ticketed my reservation) but not Premium Class seats.
Old May 5, 2023, 7:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
We ran into this one recently - returning on AS SFO to IAD after a week at the RSA conference (SWMBO was speaking, I was the "emotional support animal") I captured enough swag and presents for the grandkids to put us over. AS had no willingness to compromise above 23KG.
No big deal, I moved a book and our washbags to a backpack and checked that with no issues. It really wasn't that far over.

The hotel costs that week were eye-watering - north of USD 800 per night.
The best part of that trip was a photo op at the Golden Gate bridge recreating a photo taken just before our wedding 40 years ago. I remain astonished she hasn't sacked me yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.