Alaska not recognizing BA Gold status

Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Well the book then choose seats option has worked for me just fine - thanks for the info. We now have exit row seats for free for our SEA-SFO which is a good result.

I do have another question re Alaska. My understanding is that, despite One World rules, we won't be able to access the Alaska lounges at SEA with our BA status when travelling Alaska in coach / economy as it's just an internal US flight.

I would assume we should be able to access the BA lounge and maybe AA lounges in SEA if they're open at that time in this case? I'm just a bit confused about how Alaska lounge access works based on OW tiers as they seem to do it differently even from what AA do.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I do have another question re Alaska. My understanding is that, despite One World rules, we won't be able to access the Alaska lounges at SEA with our BA status when travelling Alaska in coach / economy as it's just an internal US flight.

I would assume we should be able to access the BA lounge and maybe AA lounges in SEA if they're open at that time in this case? I'm just a bit confused about how Alaska lounge access works based on OW tiers as they seem to do it differently even from what AA do.
I have had no problem at all accessing AS lounges in Seattle or anywhere else using BA status on US domestic AS sectors. The only difference to your scenario is that I wasn't traveling economy.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:00 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by golfmad
I have had no problem at all accessing AS lounges in Seattle or anywhere else using BA status on US domestic AS sectors. The only difference to your scenario is that I wasn't traveling economy.
The same applies to me - I had no problem and frankly, I far prefer them to AA.
ThatT1Feeling and golfmad like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Oh, OK - thanks both.

I did read the AS lounge policy on their website and it mentions (like AA) that the AS members don't get lounge access for purely domestic trips but I didn't see any mention of OneWorld at all. I was sure I read of some restriction somewhere but seems I had nothing to worry about unless there's some class of service quirk.

Normality resumed 😁 Apologies for the inconvenience!

Edit: Have also found this from The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-al...-access-rules/

"That said, if you have Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald status in any program other than Alaska Mileage Plan or American AAdvantage, you can access Alaska Lounges when flying any Oneworld flight the same day. Eligible elites are allowed to bring one guest."
golfmad likes this.

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Jan 7, 2022 at 7:16 am
Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
If I want to change my seat, who do I contact to do so?

Booked a connecting flight as part of a BA Holiday, so no idea if to ring them, or BA to do so, or to get an Alaskan booking reference.
Their website won't accept the BA one or the ticket number.

There seems be some sort of "elite" seating near the front, so would either be there than closer to the back.
Not 100% sure on hand luggage should my BAEC number not be attached.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xenole

Booked a connecting flight as part of a BA Holiday, so no idea if to ring them, or BA to do so, or to get an Alaskan booking reference.

There seems be some sort of "elite" seating near the front, so would either be there than closer to the back.
BA will be able to give you the Alaska booking ref - i've had this for a couple of flights and it works fine. Just annoying that the system will automatically give you the AA reference when you go into seat selection (when it takes you to the AA site), but doesn't do this for the Alaska site.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xenole

Also consider contacting them via Twitter direct message - i've found Alaska, AA and JetBlue all very helpful with things like this over Twitter, and unlike BA they don't take a week to respond to you (just keep in mind they tend to operate US time, so expect a reply later in the day UK time).
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:44 pm

My last name contains an apostrophe and while BA recognizes the apostrophe, Alaska doesn't - Alaska seems to replace it with a "space" which then causes a mismatch and subsequent no recognition of status!
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Well, after a bit of effort, managed to get a BP from the BA lounge.
No group number on it, so might pop to their desks anyway and consider checking my bag as not sure if that would mean I'll be in group 9 or whatever they use. Does mention TSA-PRE though (mentions Gold etc. but not sure how fastidious they are).

At least on the way back i can through check my bag.

Did contact Alaska by Twitter, but got ignored.
Even tried after 00:30 this morning (4:30pm PST) and the same "unable to check you in message).

Think I'll stick with AA for US connections in future. Seems to be too many issues with AS at present.

(This should have been in another thread......gate A10 for me, so another premium bus ride courtesy of everyone's favourite airline Barbados is going from there as well!)

Last edited by xenole; Jan 28, 2022 at 3:46 am
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:25 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Having just booked a basic economy fare SFO-LAS (for June) with Alaska, it is not letting me select any Oneworld Elite seats and wants payment to select any of the others (it is only showing the exit row as available, and for a fee. the other economy seats in the cabin are greyed out). This is after logging into manage booking, and it does recognise my status as BA gold.

Is this correct?.Can someone also confirm that I will be able to check a bag for free and use the lounge in SFO?

Thanks

Last edited by PxC; Apr 27, 2023 at 6:33 pm
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Saver fares on AS don't allow seat selection - seats will be assigned at check-in. However, you can pay for Premium / Exit Row seats. You should be able to use the lounge. Equally you should get to check a bag for free.
PxC likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 7:58 pm

For anyone re-visiting this thread in 2023, there are quite a lot of positive benefits of being BA Gold when flying AS.

- Lounge access (+1 guest) into any oneworld lounge is granted irrespective of cabin and route. Paper and mobile boarding passes both work seamlessly at AS lounges
- When flying Economy, BA Golds will receive a chocolate and a drink which other non-status passengers do not receive (in addition to the complimentary drinks and snacks service)
- 3 checked bags are permitted even on a Saver fare (NB: only available for the status holder only)
- AS flights seem to be crediting successfully to BAEC automatically now
- Free seat selection except on Saver fares (excludes Premium Class)

This isn’t a status benefit but AS do through check separate tickets with whoever they have interline agreements with provided the connections meet MCT which might be another reason to choose AS over AA within the US.

Last edited by AirbusA350; Apr 30, 2023 at 5:35 am
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Agreed - I flew AS last year and it was an excellent experience (bar collecting the TP) - the Seattle lounge in particular is lovely and has a phenomenal airport view and great beer on tap!
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PxC
Having just booked a basic economy fare SFO-LAS (for June) with Alaska, it is not letting me select any Oneworld Elite seats and wants payment to select any of the others (it is only showing the exit row as available, and for a fee. the other economy seats in the cabin are greyed out). This is after logging into manage booking, and it does recognise my status as BA gold.

Is this correct?.Can someone also confirm that I will be able to check a bag for free and use the lounge in SFO?

Thanks

I had this issue last month and contacted AS through webchat and the agent fixed for me in a few minutes. Now I can select seats in the Oneworld elite seating area.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:29 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by whisper2
I had this issue last month and contacted AS through webchat and the agent fixed for me in a few minutes. Now I can select seats in the Oneworld elite seating area.
Was this the cheapest saver fare? Geordie405 pointed out above that I wouldnt be eligible?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.