Alaska not recognizing BA Gold status

Old Sep 17, 2021, 8:28 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Booked a ticket with AS today LAX-SJC. During the booking process I could only select seats in the rear part of the cabin but after the tickets were issued (two minutes) AS recognized my status and I could select seats in the elite section. Just not premium seating (without paying the fee). Does AS ever upgrade partner elites into these seats at the airport?
if you buy the right fare bucket and a premium seat upgrade is available, then you should be able to upgrade immediately. If an upgrade is not immediately available, or the fare bucket was too low, then you should be placed on the upgrade list and then its all in the lap of the gods when the upgrade window opens up.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
if you buy the right fare bucket and a premium seat upgrade is available, then you should be able to upgrade immediately.
Is that a published OW partner benefit? I thought it was limited to AA (and of course AS) elites. Referring to Premium Class.
TTmex likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by econ
Is that a published OW partner benefit? I thought it was limited to AA (and of course AS) elites. Referring to Premium Class.
Not exactly sure as I do in fact credit to AA.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
According to my research, upgrades only apply to AS and AA. It's a joint agreement between the two, not a oneworld benefit. I'd imagine AS elites would be dismayed at BA, CX, JL elites getting upgrade priority, especially as AS elites stand 0 chance of getting one based on status on any other OW carrier other than AA.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: Confirmed
Seat selection provided by individual airlines (AS, BA, AY ...) isn't an official oneworld benefit (yet), that's why it isn't a thing on the IT checklist when AS joins oneworld. However - AS should have a robust interface to pull status for any oneworld frequent flyer - that ought to be on the checklist.

Whether BA is able to spit out the correct status is another issue. The forum tagline.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Geordie405
So for new bookings apparently the AS booking engine doesn't recognise the BAEC number until after the booking has been finalised and the tickets issued. At that point you can go back into the booking and select seats.
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Booked a ticket with AS today LAX-SJC. During the booking process I could only select seats in the rear part of the cabin but after the tickets were issued (two minutes) AS recognized my status and I could select seats in the elite section. Just not premium seating (without paying the fee). Does AS ever upgrade partner elites into these seats at the airport?
Thanks for this, very helpful. I can confirm that the above is still correct, at least based on my experience today. I was booking an AS domestic flight and input my BA Silver (OW Sapphire) number but the oneworld seats were still grayed out and I could not select them during the booking process. However I read your comments and decided to book and try assigning seats right after. It worked perfectly!

So yes, it seems the issue is not Alaska integration with BA. It is that that the Alaska website for some reason does not acknowledge OW status during the booking process for seat selection, but it does acknowledge the status right after booking.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Any ideas how I get an Alaskan booking reference?
Got a connecting flight with AS (coming off a BA flight, booked via BA). Been given seats, but there's no option to change them, and unlike AA flights, there's no separate (6) digit reference number that Alaskan requires.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Having recently flown with both AS and AA, I was welcomed back as a loyal OneWorld customer at both check in and the lounge with AS.

Where as with AA, I was met with ‘Why are you at this check in when you’re in coach???’ at the Flagship first check in. A bit of a DYKWIA moment later, and they were nice as pie once they realised I was entitled to be there, even when flying premium economy.
the810 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Having recently flown with both AS and AA, I was welcomed back as a loyal OneWorld customer at both check in and the lounge with AS.

Where as with AA, I was met with Why are you at this check in when youre in coach??? at the Flagship first check in. A bit of a DYKWIA moment later, and they were nice as pie once they realised I was entitled to be there, even when flying premium economy.
AA systems seem to be acting up. Every time I've gone to the lounges (at least 10 trips in recent months), whether flagship or admirals, they have been scanning the pass then asking me for airline and status. It seems they don't see it automatically..some others reported same thing. Had no issues gaining access once they manually read the pass and saw emerald status
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by xenole
Got a connecting flight with AS (coming off a BA flight, booked via BA). Been given seats, but there's no option to change them, and unlike AA flights, there's no separate (6) digit reference number that Alaskan requires.
The AS website will also accept the ticket number if that is on your BA itinerary. I would assume you can always call BA or AS.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by TTmex
AA systems seem to be acting up. Every time I've gone to the lounges (at least 10 trips in recent months), whether flagship or admirals, they have been scanning the pass then asking me for airline and status. It seems they don't see it automatically..some others reported same thing. Had no issues gaining access once they manually read the pass and saw emerald status
If this is an electronic BP then this has been an issue for as long as I can remember. I believe the paper BP barcode properly encodes not just the FFN but also the airline. The electronic BP in the AA app records the FFN simply as an AAdvantage number. That's what I was told. It may be total nonsense lol. That said, back in the day lounges would often print a paper BP for me and scan it, and then didn't need to ask which airline and status.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405
If this is an electronic BP then this has been an issue for as long as I can remember. I believe the paper BP barcode properly encodes not just the FFN but also the airline. The electronic BP in the AA app records the FFN simply as an AAdvantage number. That's what I was told. It may be total nonsense lol. That said, back in the day lounges would often print a paper BP for me and scan it, and then didn't need to ask which airline and status.
Was my paper one. Never had any trouble getting in, they just look a bit blank at times
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Thanks for this, very helpful. I can confirm that the above is still correct, at least based on my experience today. I was booking an AS domestic flight and input my BA Silver (OW Sapphire) number but the oneworld seats were still grayed out and I could not select them during the booking process. However I read your comments and decided to book and try assigning seats right after. It worked perfectly!

So yes, it seems the issue is not Alaska integration with BA. It is that that the Alaska website for some reason does not acknowledge OW status during the booking process for seat selection, but it does acknowledge the status right after booking.
Really helpful to know - thanks. Was trying to book SEA-SFO for later this year and was constantly told that the seats for OW Elites weren't available during booking. I will complete the booking and hope that this works.
Enigma368 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by xenole
I telephoned BA and got the Alaska Airlines booking reference from them for a booking I made through BA with a codeshare flight. You can change seats, choose your meal 2 weeks before travel if in First Class and so on. That's how I did it anyway!
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The issue with AS not recognizing status until after booking is a long time one, and not just with BA. Thankfully, AS instant tickets, so you can just grab the seat right away.
ThatT1Feeling and Enigma368 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.