Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Data breach - spam Mandarin phone calls

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Angry Data breach - spam Mandarin phone calls

Is anyone else who flew to China, HK or Taiwan up to 2018 getting numerous spam calls from fake UK mobile numbers with a recorded message in Mandarin about a package at the Chinese embassy?

I know several people who have been getting these, and while it might have initially appeared as a data breach from the visa section of the embassy, it seems British Airways might be a more likely source.

They're highly annoying because there's no way to block them as they use a different number each time. It would be handy to have a slice of the Ł20million fine to cover the costs of changing my number, but that's not going to happen.
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Fortunately I am not being bothered by these spam calls. During the course of regular HKG and TPE visits I was inadvertently exposed to three separate data breaches: BA, Cathay Pacific, and Starwood
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
I have received quite a few of these calls over the past month or so yes.
I was impacted by the BA data breach and I also have a 2018 Chinese Visa/trip.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
My wife has been receiving these for the past 6+ months. We both travelled to China and HK in 2019 (not before). I have not received them however.

EDIT TO ADD: I thought it might be because she signed up to WeChat while we were there. Not sure if that's a common link?

Last edited by ajbrowc; Apr 30, 2021 at 8:31 am
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
As a general point, unless I know I’m expecting an unfamiliar call, everything else not in my contacts I send to Voicemail. 99% of the time no message is ever left by these pests. If it was someone who knew you, they’d leave a message. It’s the only way to remove this distraction at the moment, until OFCOM perhaps have a rethink on allowing callers to disguise their number. Removing that ability would prevent a lot of Spam and Fraudulent calls I think. It wouldn’t stop ‘unknown callers’ but they always use to get sent to voicemail before the rules allowing disguised numbers was brought in.
SxMan, Temedar, MatJarosz and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
I'm getting these every few days. I guessed that they were because I've used DiDi in China, but hadn't made the connection that they might be linked to the BA data breach.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
I travelled March 2019 to Shanghai (not with ba but with Hong Kong airlines, left with Korean air) and since last week also getting these calls. The automated message also enters the voicemail.

very annoying as they seem regular Uk mobile numbers so easily fooled.

I do have a ba account & we chat but not sure which data breach it’s from. Surely if it was BA we would’ve been receiving more calls so far?

what are they gaining from these calls? It’s in Chinese so can’t even understand what they are saying.

Last edited by itisme; Apr 30, 2021 at 9:25 am
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't believe there is any link to BA in this case. I've checked with a few friends (all with links back to China) who get these calls in mandarin that usually start off on the premise that there is a delivery or something to do with the Chinese Embassy. Several of them have never flown with BA, yet get the calls. There is a definite link back to a Chinese based data breach, but I personally have WeChat, Didi, travelled several times to China, have a Chinese bank account, have applied for Chinese Visas, and to date do not get these calls. I was also implicated in the BA data breach.

If you get a CMLink UK SIM card, and don't port a number from another network onto the SIM card, you can be guaranteed to get these spam phone calls.

Last edited by plunet; Apr 30, 2021 at 10:01 am
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Yes I get them - good for your Mandarin at least
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
I do get them and I have been to Asia during 2018 a few times but never with BA. I am sure it’s not BA related.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Everyone in Chinese speakers-rich US area codes has been getting these calls for years (well, they tapered off in 2020, but have since resurged). They then spread to less Chinese-y area codes. I guess they're spreading to other countries with considerable Chinese speakers. Nothing related to BA or any data leaks.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
So have I. A mild mystery has been cleared up!
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Not that it is any consolation, but my two NYC cell phones (I long ago left for Florida, but kept my NY numbers) receive dozens of Mandarin spam calls per year. Yes they both were in Hong Kong (and mainland China) albeit several years ago and via Cathay. The US carriers do a pretty poor job filtering out such crap, which has had the unanticipated side effect that almost nobody in the US answers their mobile phone nowadays, if the calling number is not already in contacts. Even businesses route inbound calls to voicemail. I will only answer an unknown call if it identifies from a few, known area codes where I have customers (like St. Louis and Connecticut).

For this reason alone, I would favor governments to institute a tiny tax for every outbound call regardless of source (VOIP, landline, individual cell)
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:20 pm

The numbers that appear on your caller id are spoofed. Any random numbers can appear n the numbers that they called are random.

Basically it does not relate to BA n it is a scam.
Many Asia countries such as Singapore, HKG , malaysia also receive such calls.

There is some old lady in HK who was cheated of HKD 254 million recently
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...nned-out-hk250

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...han-69-million

For Singapore, they did introduce a smart way to identify these spoof call.
They ask the telcos to add a + sign to all overseas incoming call
so these spoof call will appear as +65xxxxxxxx.
If it is a local call, there won’t be any +65.

https://www.imda.gov.sg/-/media/Imda...alls.pdf?la=en

Last edited by sbs2716g; Apr 30, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Old Apr 30, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Wait until you live in Hong Kong - that's a whole new level of spam calls!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.