Seat Spy or Reward Flight Finder

Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Seat Spy or Reward Flight Finder

Am looking to take a paid subscription for instant alerts for one or the other, as I’m struggling for a inbound flight on my companion voucher.Any opinions which is the best and most reliable?

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:24 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
I've had phantom issues with both of late, got excited and then been let down when checking on the BA website. Of course YMMV. If you've already got the outbound sorted then search on BA from your return leg departure port and use the 90 day or calendar month feature (assuming you're well inside the 355 days), otherwise wait til 1am and call up.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Surely the best way is to be on the phone as they’re released at 355?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Surely the best way is to be on the phone as they’re released at 355?
Been on phone last 3 nights at 1am unsuccessful every time, so my flexibility has run out and I’m left with hoping something pops up during the year. BTW I’m looking for return from MLE so not hopeful.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by Filmcritic
Been on phone last 3 nights at 1am unsuccessful every time, so my flexibility has run out and I’m left with hoping something pops up during the year. BTW I’m looking for return from MLE so not hopeful.
You might need to consider flights back from DOH or DXB, and book a cash ticket from MLE to there, or somewhere in India if it's worth sorting the visa.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by omk298
You might need to consider flights back from DOH or DXB, and book a cash ticket from MLE to there, or somewhere in India if it's worth sorting the visa.
Have thought about DXB, but didn’t think open jaw would be allowed because they are in different zones?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Have done myself recently, into SIN & Out of HKG. As per the 2-4-1 Thread/Wiki

BA American Express companion voucher | master thread

Q: Can I book an open-jaw trip using the voucher?
A: You can, but you will need to call BA. For the trip to be valid, the length of the surface sector must be shorter than either of the flown journeys. If you want to fly from LHR to AAA and from BBB back to LHR, then the LHR-AAA and BBB-LHR distances must both be greater than the distance between AAA and BBB.

Confirm your DXB, DOH or other nearby option's availability then call BA. I used the Japan number recently with success.

Last edited by Colesmore; Apr 29, 2021 at 3:48 am Reason: spelling errors
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:58 am
Original Poster

If I book open jaw returning from DXB can I change it back to MLE if reward flights become available later in the year.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If I book open jaw returning from DXB can I change it back to MLE if reward flights become available later in the year.
Not according to the rules. DXB and MLE are in different zones, and you can't make a change that changes zones. You'd have to cancel and rebook.

What about booking DXB-LON as a standalone one-way without tying it to the companion voucher? That way, if MLE-LON becomes available later, you can book MLE-LON and cancel the DXB-LON booking. You'd get flexibility on the inbound half while still keeping the companion voucher discount for the LON-MLE direction.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Not according to the rules. DXB and MLE are in different zones, and you can't make a change that changes zones. You'd have to cancel and rebook.

What about booking DXB-LON as a standalone one-way without tying it to the companion voucher? That way, if MLE-LON becomes available later, you can book MLE-LON and cancel the DXB-LON booking. You'd get flexibility on the inbound half while still keeping the companion voucher discount for the LON-MLE direction.
Thanks for the suggestion, if I book cash flight DXB to LHR who knows what BA policy will be about cancellations later this year concerning refund FTV etc if a MLE to Lon becomes available. Also hate the thought of not utilising the full value of the voucher by only using it one way. I think the odds of MLE appearing later this year are low especially as I’m going March/April peak time, so booking the DXB to LON using my voucher with cash flight from MLE to DXB seems the better option at the moment. Also BA cash flight from MLE to LON currently $1000 each in Y ATM, so need to use the voucher.
ly
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Thanks for the suggestion, if I book cash flight DXB to LHR who knows what BA policy will be about cancellations later this year concerning refund FTV etc if a MLE to Lon becomes available. Also hate the thought of not utilising the full value of the voucher by only using it one way. I think the odds of MLE appearing later this year are low especially as I’m going March/April peak time, so booking the DXB to LON using my voucher with cash flight from MLE to DXB seems the better option at the moment. Also BA cash flight from MLE to LON currently $1000 each in Y ATM, so need to use the voucher.
ly
You could also look at avios availability MLE-DOH on QR, to then continue on DOH-LHR on BA. If you're happy settling for DXB or DOH return then use the 241 from there. If you want to wait and see if there's more availability from MLE then I'd suggest a full price avios redemption back from DXB or DOH so you can cancel it if you get (very!) lucky.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I would absolutely book a plan B, can’t see more reward space opening over Easter Holidays back from MLE, until maybe very close to departure which is too risky
omk298 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
SeatSpy currently has accurate BA availability, RFF does not. They are now using different sources.
Colesmore likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
My experience with SeatSpy has been good (and their website is super easy to follow). The emails are very prompt but the whatsapp messages do not always appear until I manually open the app. However, £2.99 a month is nothing if you are desperate to get a redemption on a hard to book route.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone, have booked DXB using companion voucher, but have just gone into MMB and it states no checked baggage allowance is this correct?
mikeyfly likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.