Wiki Posts
Search

Flex on AA rewards booked with BA avios

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Flex on AA rewards booked with BA avios

Hi, does anyone know if AA tickets booked with BA avios through BA.com come with the same flexibility that BA reward tickets do? I'm eyeing a couple of flights to Dallas and willing to part with the Avios instead of the cash if it means having added flex and not needing a voucher from AA if we need to cancel or change.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It would be normal reward rules, so voluntary cancellation and get everything back minus Ł35 per person cancellation fee taken from the taxes/fees/charges, and for voluntary changes you can change for a Ł35 per person change fee subject to reward availability on the new flight. You also have the option of a FTV, no fees for that but any new booking requires reward availability.
TTmex and Anonba like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I've had short haul AA Reward flights booked on BA.com returned to FTV and reused as standard Reward Flights, no issues other than topping up the Cash component
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
It would be normal reward rules, so voluntary cancellation and get everything back minus Ł35 per person cancellation fee taken from the taxes/fees/charges, and for voluntary changes you can change for a Ł35 per person change fee subject to reward availability on the new flight. You also have the option of a FTV, no fees for that but any new booking requires reward availability.
Perfect, thanks Karfa. Appreciate the rapid response as always.

Already got vouchers with BA and Iberia, so I really want to avoid having one with AA as well. So looking like Avios my best bet. Reward availability wide open right now, so might as well take advantage of it. No need to earn tier points either at the moment as already comped a year of gold starting in August

Best wishes
Old Apr 23, 2021, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Using 33000 avios plus 80 quid gets Business return. Certainly not the same value as a RFS in Europe, but seems like a reasonable use of avios. or could for 27500 + 140 quid.

Cash fare is 460.

I know it's hard to value these things, but does the cost per avios seem like a reasonable redemption here. I'm not UK based, so can not take advantage of 241s and other promos.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by TTmex
Using 33000 avios plus 80 quid gets Business return. Certainly not the same value as a RFS in Europe, but seems like a reasonable use of avios. or could for 27500 + 140 quid.

Cash fare is 460.

I know it's hard to value these things, but does the cost per avios seem like a reasonable redemption here. I'm not UK based, so can not take advantage of 241s and other promos.
Generally you should be able to get around 1p of value per point. In this situation you are basically paying 60 quid for 5500 aviso. Your paying in essence 1.1p which is above the normal redemption value but below any value you could buy aviso for. So it just comes down to you want to spend less money or do you want to buy some aviso for a bit cheaper.
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Can these be booked with a ftv over the phone? I've got an outstanding one for just about the right amount of money
Old Apr 24, 2021, 8:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TTmex
Can these be booked with a ftv over the phone? I've got an outstanding one for just about the right amount of money
Yes, although you can only use a FTV from a reward booking towards a new reward booking, and you can only use a FTV from a cash booking towards a new cash booking. No crossover between cash and reward FTVs.
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Yes, although you can only use a FTV from a reward booking towards a new reward booking, and you can only use a FTV from a cash booking towards a new cash booking. No crossover between cash and reward FTVs.
ah ok. Got you. Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately is a cash booking, so rules that out for the time being
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:10 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Funny. The kids call bragging or showing off a “flex” now. I thought you were going to tell us you found some unicorn international first awards at saver pricing.
TTmex and James91 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Funny. The kids call bragging or showing off a “flex” now. I thought you were going to tell us you found some unicorn international first awards at saver pricing.
haha, that's something new. Unfortunately not, just some bog standard questions on rewards
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Curious online is that they are erroneously adding Mexico Tourism tax of 20 quid per person to the booking. Could a phone agent remove this or is it a case of claiming back after departure? As a resident I am exempt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.