Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew vaccination plans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
These vaccines do three things: inhibit transmission (50%), avoid hospitalisation (85%), arrest mortality (over 95%). The last one is obviously the most important. If vaccines are restricted in supply, you target those most at risk, which are the elderly. Age remains by far the biggest factor with deaths and hospitalisation. In your list of professions, only one has greatly raised death rates, bus drivers. Police have lower than average death rates, being typically typically younger and less likely to have illnesses. So if you proriitise the police, you won't make much difference to their death rates, but will increase the death rates of older people from whom the vaccine is diverted. You thereby also increase pressures on health services. So it's illogical. If we were going to do this the priority groups would be taxi drivers, sandwich makers and slaugher house workers, none of whom get good PR.
Vaccines, as you said, also reduce spread. These categories have a higher chance of getting in contact with others, catching the virus and spreading it. To their elderly parents, their sick nephews and so on. Also, if I am sick with Covid and have to take days off work it’s not much of an issue, work wise or society wise. If cops/doctors/teachers/paramedics are... it’s a bit more important right now.

I don’t mean to say they should’ve trumped everyone else but that they should’ve been in one of the priority groups.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
When the vaccinations were started and for at least a few months after, it wasn't clear vaccinations would stop spread. So prioritising groups at that stage for that reason would have been quite a gamble.

We obviously know a bit more now after 4/5 months of vaccination, but at this stage you may as well just do age groups now rather than trying to pick out certain groups for marginal (if any) benefits in terms of hospitalisations and deaths.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:45 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
If crew have got them it's because they're in the priority groups (over 50 or with underlying conditions). There might be a few, as mentioned above, who scored lucky with some spare doses floating around.

As much as it would be great if all crew were vaccinated I don't think they can be classified as key workers really, especially where police and supermarket staff, for example, are currently unvaccinated.

Remember the vaccination program is solely in the hands of HMG/NHS. There is no route to obtaining a vaccination privately (unlike testing etc).
my brother is just about the least essential worker on earth, under 40 and with no medical problems and has already had his 1st jab of AZ (north London), just as a data point

meanwhile, phase 1A (haha) here and booked for 1st dose Pfizer on Tuesday

Last edited by nancypants; Apr 22, 2021 at 8:44 pm
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by nancypants
my brother is just about the least essential worker on earth
I hope he's not on FT
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
my brother is just about the least essential worker on earth, under 40 and with no medical problems and has already had his 1st jab of AZ (north London), just as a data point
Age 44 1/2, no medical problems, also north London, and the only person I know my age group around the country who hasn't been invited to be jabbed yet as another data point! Arguably also the 2nd least essential worker on earth (well, purely going on lack of govt support for the travel industry )

Edit: Less than 30 minutes after saying that, i'm booked in! NHS Website taking 40-44 year olds

Last edited by Sam Bee; Apr 22, 2021 at 10:41 am
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:51 am

Lots of crew have had at least one jab, this isn't due to the fact they're crew though. The Compass Centre was doing walk-ins for 30+ last week; many crew have been doing Project Wingman which got their foot in the door; lots are working as vaccinators or other roles within the NHS so there are lots of reasons. Just being crew though isn't going to get you an early jab - I haven't had mine yet and I'm happy to wait my turn.
toothy likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by 13901
In my opinion frontline workers should’ve been prioritised. Crews, delivery drivers, firefighters, cops, supermarket workers, TfL workers, bus drivers all come into contact with more people and, frankly, are fulfilling a key role in the society. I agree that doing things by company isn’t right, but at the same time we should’ve recognised the extra risk these people have run.
A lot of occupation details aren’t included in NHS records or if they are would be generic like admin worker/Gardner etc when it may have been relevant for treatment so it would have been ne’er impossible to reach out to supermarket workers etc.

Also at the time we didn’t know the vaccine would stop the spread it was to aid the survival of the virus so by your reasoning, a 20 year old police constable or shop worker may have received a jab ahead of an older ‘riskier’ person.

on the whole I think our JvCI have got this right and have tweaked it accordingly eg 2nd dose 12 weeks later to allow more people to gain at least some protection.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Edit: Less than 30 minutes after saying that, i'm booked in! NHS Website taking 40-44 year olds
Since it's a nice evening, if you can get there in the next 30 minutes or so, you could also try the Islington Business Design Centre vaccination station run by UCLH. There is a queue area against the wall, over from the small front car park, for any spares, but speak to the door staff and show your online confirmation.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
my brother is just about the least essential worker on earth
Take me out of my misery. So far I've come up with designated drug baron to the Archbishop of Canterbury, HMG's auxiliary hangman (zero hours contract) and Lead PR professional to the European Super League.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i agree that it seems the gov got this one part right. there was the dustup in early march i believe when groups like police, grocery workers and other similar frontline workers were not to be prioritized but the government would continue the top-down age approach and then include the clinically vulnerable.

the numbers dont lie and the gamble to do one shot in this order has yielded amazing results--and as for cabin crew, arguably yes but they mostly were not seeing as many people in a day as a grocery clerk as loads were low, at least in the UK. same probably isnt true of the ME3 carriers though who presumably did have more pax just by virture of connecting traffic.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Also at the time we didn’t know the vaccine would stop the spread it was to aid the survival of the virus so by your reasoning, a 20 year old police constable or shop worker may have received a jab ahead of an older ‘riskier’ person.
I didn't say that a 20 year old cop should've trumped an 85 year old care home resident but, perhaps, maybe, they could've prioritised a train station worker, or a paramedic, or a teacher ahead a 50 year old lawyer who's been working from home. That was an opinion, no need for you and KARFA to repeat the same thing twice again...unless you want to do a Bee-Gees-style choir in which case, well, carry on!
James91 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by 13901
I didn't say that a 20 year old cop should've trumped an 85 year old care home resident but, perhaps, maybe, they could've prioritised a train station worker, or a paramedic, or a teacher ahead a 50 year old lawyer who's been working from home. That was an opinion, no need for you and KARFA to repeat the same thing twice again...unless you want to do a Bee-Gees-style choir in which case, well, carry on!
ThatS a bit of an extreme comparison but it’s give and take so for every vaccine given to a police officer that has a lower statistical risk of catching covid overall it has to come from someone else in the queue.

TFL ridership was 90% down and trains were virtually empty so whilst there’s always different views and opinions but in this case I think the JVCI got it mostly right. With various local initiatives to use spare doses.
13901 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Since it's a nice evening, if you can get there in the next 30 minutes or so, you could also try the Islington Business Design Centre vaccination station run by UCLH. There is a queue area against the wall, over from the small front car park, for any spares, but speak to the door staff and show your online confirmation.
Ah thanks, missed that. But I will be going to IBDC anyway first thing on Monday morning to get it done!
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I tried last Saturday but it was a big no. They were doing Moderna at the weekend as well!
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: QF WP
Take me out of my misery. So far I've come up with designated drug baron to the Archbishop of Canterbury, HMG's auxiliary hangman (zero hours contract) and Lead PR professional to the European Super League.
Option 3 is the closest!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.