Connecting in LHR during COVID

Old Apr 21, 21, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, GHA Black
Connecting in LHR during COVID

Hello,

I'm planning to fly MXP-LHR-DXB on BA, single ticket, connection time in LHR between 3-4 hours.

BA's information is super confusing on what documents one needs (apart for what is needed to enter DXB, this is clearly explained by Dubai authorities).

Do I understand it correctly that I need to have PCR test to fly BA and that's it ? No "passenger locator form" or anything else ?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Apr 21, 21, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
When are you flying ? BA's services are cancelled until at least late June whereby things may have changed... for the better or worse

The below thread from the UK Forum is quite helpful if you take a read

Transiting thru LHR - FlyerTalk Forums

As it's an airside connection all on the same day without going landside or collecting bags, I believe you'll need to fill in the PLF and have proof of a negative test
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by mikeyfly; Apr 21, 21 at 6:12 am
Old Apr 21, 21, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
When are you flying ? BA's services are cancelled until at least late June whereby things may have changed... for the better or worse
Late June indeed. I wanted to go earlier, but yesterday BA flights disappeared. I was actually wondering why they cancelled all DXB services until late June ?

thanks & regards,

El Puerco Voalnte
Old Apr 21, 21, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante View Post
I was actually wondering why they cancelled all DXB services until late June ?
The UAE is currently on the Government's red list of countries: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transpor...ns-of-covid-19
Old Apr 21, 21, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post

The below thread from the UK Forum is quite helpful if you take a read

Transiting thru LHR - FlyerTalk Forums

As it's an airside connection all on the same day without going landside or collecting bags, I believe you'll need to fill in the PLF and have proof of a negative test
Thanks.

But how can a transit passenger fill the PLF, when it says that you need "booking reference numbers for the 2 coronavirus tests you must take after arriving in the UK" just to fill such form ?

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Apr 21, 21, 7:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I believe you can choose the option on the form for airside transfer to not book the test kit as reported here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33171981-post16.html
Old Apr 21, 21, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante View Post
Thanks.

But how can a transit passenger fill the PLF, when it says that you need "booking reference numbers for the 2 coronavirus tests you must take after arriving in the UK" just to fill such form ?

Regards,

El Puerco Volante

It's a free-text field, so you could use that to comment that you are in transit.

Are there any useful non-stops you can take? Chances of a trip running smoothly go down with each stop. Plus the UK is probably now one of the harder places on the planet to enter/transit, so if you don't have to travel via LHR I'd avoid it...
Old Apr 21, 21, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
June is the distant future and the fact that BA is currently publishing a notional schedule means little. Better to wait until the restrictions are changed and you are then assured that you will not be denied boarding for legal reasons. That may or may not come, the UK may or may not require testing, there may or may not be a vaccine exemption and the UAE may or pay not permit entry.

I would hold off until you are well within 30 days of travel to book. If you cannot fly, but BA operates, all you get is a credit and you either do not travel at all or must find other routings, presumably on other carriers on which you will likely need to purchase a new ticket.
Old Apr 21, 21, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
It's a free-text field, so you could use that to comment that you are in transit.

Are there any useful non-stops you can take? Chances of a trip running smoothly go down with each stop. Plus the UK is probably now one of the harder places on the planet to enter/transit, so if you don't have to travel via LHR I'd avoid it...
Yes there are, but BA I class gives 250% on my AS card

Thank you for the PLF clarification, makes sense.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Apr 21, 21, 8:03 am

If needs must and you really need to go to DXB I’d simply fly direct. Besides the risks of flying via LHR there’s the question of whether MXP flights will restart. Right now it’s only LIN and I doubt there’ll be a dual airport service to Milan, from BA, for a while.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: