Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Back To Business Reopening International Travel.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

Posting here due to Sean Doyle participating. Tuesday 20:April 2021 at 7pm London time. Should be interesting.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/regi...QVOdEBwfNi574A
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Negative reports from Scotland's First Minister today. Ms Sturgeon, speaking on the Sophy Ridge On Sunday:"The big risk that we face, not just in Scotland but across the UK right now is the importation of new variants of the virus, variants that might be faster spreading, that might be more severe and crucially variants that might undermine the efficacy of the vaccine.

"So we've got to be very careful about that.

"Which is why I think one of the restrictions we're all going to have to live with for longer is a restriction on international travel.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:58 am

At some point reason and sanity has to prevail. The variant issue is overblown, even Fauci says variants are unlikely to evade the vaccines. The virus is not going to stop mutating so what’s Sturgeon’s answer to that? Stop international travel forever?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by JerseyPilot
At some point reason and sanity has to prevail. The variant issue is overblown, even Fauci says variants are unlikely to evade the vaccines. The virus is not going to stop mutating so what’s Sturgeon’s answer to that? Stop international travel forever?
I'm with you! Depressing to read her comments this morning.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by JerseyPilot
Her answer is to do something different to Boris, whatever the question is.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by Will100
Agreed. Sorry to get political but I do find it frustrating when the SNP keep bashing the UK govt. At times like these they should work closer together to find solutions rather than political opportunities.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Paren
Agreed. Sorry to get political but I do find it frustrating when the SNP keep bashing the UK govt. At times like these they should work closer together to find solutions rather than political opportunities.
Perhaps because the UK government has deserved much of the bashing over the last year ?
LCY8737, Fritz, u01sss3 and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:40 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Glad someone else thinks this too, it does seem to be a recurrent theme. It's very frustrating.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If Ms Sturgeon wants to be in charge of a small independent country, she'll need to get used to the idea that she can't be in charge of a small independent isolated country that doesn't have a magic money tree. She'll have to accept international travel and movement, predictably and without many constraints (for visitors), or she won't get the trade and investment her country will need to survive on its own.

The same applies to Boris and a slightly larger independent country, for that matter.

You can only cut off travel to and from your country in the long term if you want to remain poor or you have a magic money tree (oil, etc). That's pretty basic economics.
LWkitty and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by golfmad
Negative reports from Scotland's First Minister today. Ms Sturgeon, speaking on the Sophy Ridge On Sunday:"The big risk that we face, not just in Scotland but across the UK right now is the importation of new variants of the virus, variants that might be faster spreading, that might be more severe and crucially variants that might undermine the efficacy of the vaccine.

"So we've got to be very careful about that.

"Which is why I think one of the restrictions we're all going to have to live with for longer is a restriction on international travel.
Yes I saw that too. Will Boris toe the line or be contrary just to spite her. Also what then happens if everybody from Scotland heads to NCL MAN (god help them) or flies via London.

I totally agree we need to reopen borders and travel but gradually. The whackamole scenario from last year was a joke but the whole £300-400 of tests to travel when I would be fully vaccinated and therefore a hopefully lower risk for transmission and suffering seems overkill.

Wille Walsh was normally quite good at holding his own in Parliamentary committees so it will be interesting to see the format of this, the airlines of the UK and US with Grant Schapps and who’s laying their cards on the table and if Grant gives a damn.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Just to add a bit of meat to this for anyone. I found this on the Conservative Home site.

ConservativeHome’s next live online event, in which our special guest Grant Shapps, Secretary of State for Transport, will be joined by a distinguished panel for this timely discussion.

Following the recent publication of the Global Travel Taskforce report, there are a host of crucial questions to explore, from the return of tourism and business travel, to the reunification of families separated by the pandemic.

When and how can international travel reopen? What approach offers the best route to do so safely, promptly, and to the greatest benefit for passengers and the wider economy? After a year of unprecedented disruption, how soon will things return to normal, and what will normal look like?

In this event, hosted in partnership with Airlines UK, the Secretary of State will be joined by:

Keith Glatz, Vice-President of Airlines for America and
David Evans, Group CEO of Collinson Group, the UK’s leading provider of Covid-19 travel testing.

The event will be broadcast live via Zoom at 7pm on Tuesday 20th April.

As ever, there will be the chance for the audience to put your questions to the panel.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
I think the world's politicians have a secret contest to see who is the biggest buffoon. There must be sub categories such as who can do the most damage to their travel industry. Who can cause the highest number of job losses and lost wages. Who can say 'follow the science' the most. Who can provide the most convoluted justification for why their lockdown worked when the numbers don't back it up. Who can have the longest immigration lines with no 'social distancing'. Who can be the most out of touch with the citizens of their country. Who can be the biggest hypocrite. etc etc etc This is a degree of insanity I never imagined possible.
LWkitty, RockyRobin and golfmad like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by houstr8male
I think the world's politicians have a secret contest to see who is the biggest buffoon.
With due respect to my friends and colleagues in the UK, we in Canada have this one sewn up.
LCSinTexas, xnetco, Donsyb and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Boris has never answered a question
u01sss3, 13901, MajorVoid and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:58 am

Sturgeon's policy is to eliminate Covid from Scotland. Quite how she's going to do that with an open border to England beats me but that's her goal.

We're due to fly EDI-LHR-ORD in September and she can bolt if she thinks the rest of the UK can do that but those in Scotland can't.

Covid in Scotland: Sturgeon objective 'to eliminate' virus - BBC News
Will100 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.