Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flights booked in First have been cancelled and changed to Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights booked in First have been cancelled and changed to Business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Question Flights booked in First have been cancelled and changed to Business

ALL four of my flight segments that I booked in First have been cancelled and changed to Business. Since the flights have not been cancelled (yet) and only class of service cancelled can I ask for a cash refund instead of a voucher?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 12:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So you are now on new flights, different flight numbers, from the original booking? If so then you can have a cash refund. If you are still on exactly the same flights then you can't insist on a cash refund, but depending on the details, it's somewhat improbable that all 4 flights operate without at least one cancellation.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:10 pm

First seems to be dropping off at least one route that is traditionally F heavy. Maybe it's happening more than on that one route.

rb211.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Guess my question was moot - I received an email from BA about three hours after I posted this. One of my flights was pushed out by one day and then I found out one of my flights was cancelled (didn't get the email on this one). Called BA and will be getting a refund in 2-4 weeks. She suggested getting paid back with Avios, I don't think so , not a very good exchange rate.

I don't know how to delete this post - if one of the moderators can do that for me??
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Maraluvr
Guess my question was moot - I received an email from BA about three hours after I posted this. One of my flights was pushed out by one day and then I found out one of my flights was cancelled (didn't get the email on this one). Called BA and will be getting a refund in 2-4 weeks. She suggested getting paid back with Avios, I don't think so , not a very good exchange rate.

I don't know how to delete this post - if one of the moderators can do that for me??
The two to four weeks not always the case. I got told that and money dropped in 3 days later.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Any ticket that contains a segment where a flight has been cancelled or significantly changed, e.g., at least 2 of yours, entitles you to a refund. If you were simply downgraded (likely because F is no longer offered) than you are due downgrade reimbursement.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by RB211
First seems to be dropping off at least one route that is traditionally F heavy. Maybe it's happening more than on that one route.

rb211.
Looks like F has gone for TLV.
RB211 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 6:17 pm

tom139 What dates? I see A availability wide open for the summer to TLV on speedbird

corporate-wage-slave out of interest might this qualify as an ec 261 downgrade claim? Unclear how long the flights, but given there is no first Europe cabin, I would think there is a possible 75% refund you are due?

Last edited by OldNewYorker; Apr 17, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by OldNewYorker
corporate-wage-slave out of interest might this qualify as an ec 261 downgrade claim? Unclear how long the flights, but given there is no first Europe cabin, I would think there is a possible 75% refund you are due?
Yes, there is a fairly broad entitlement to the refund calculation if the airline places you in a downgraded cabin. And BA these days tends to pay up - perhaps a bit reluctantly in some cases - before it goes to MCOL or CEDR. It's not the full 75% reimbursement, since there is a Mennens Formula (see wiki in the main EC261 thread) which allows airlines to collect unavoidable taxes even in downgrades, but if there are 4 First legs (and assuming it's BA as the operator) then the chances are that the traveller would get to travel in Business at a fairly hefty dicounted rate, perhaps less than half the usual fares.
OldNewYorker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.