Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Business seats - any still 2-4-2 on LHR to JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone

We’re hoping to fly from Heathrow to JFK at the end of Aug (covid allowing). My 6yo daughter has cerebral palsy. We’re hoping to fly business so she has more space and can sleep etc. BUT we really need 2 seats next to each other, not for her to have to sit in her own ‘pod’ in business.
I phoned BA today and the chap said all the flights showed the new 1-2-1 configuration for business. Does anyone know of any of the planes/flights still have the old style cabin?
thanks 😊
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
The understanding on this board was that NYC would be the first destination to get club suites on all flights because it's such a key route for BA. It's all up in the air due to covid but I don't expect that to change. You may get "lucky" if you're willing to go from Gatwick, but nobody knows if those flights will go ahead or not. Sorry.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
I guess this raises an interesting problem. For the majority of passengers, the new club suites are a real improvement. But they’re terrible for the minority who really need to sit next to a partner/companion and/or have special needs - in which case you may be ‘better off’ in WTP or First. Difficult. And sorry I can’t help...
MM00LL2 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Hi Liz W and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Aircraft changes are possible at this stage and the schedule for August hasn't been finalized.
If you're not concerned about getting paying any applicable fare difference, in late-July, check the seat maps again and if there isn't still any 2-4-2 configuration; change your destination to EWR,PHL or somewhere nearby that offers the configuration.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500
The understanding on this board was that NYC would be the first destination to get club suites on all flights because it's such a key route for BA. It's all up in the air due to covid but I don't expect that to change. You may get "lucky" if you're willing to go from Gatwick, but nobody knows if those flights will go ahead or not. Sorry.
thanks - I’ve checked Gatwick flights and unfortunately none of them seem to be direct 🤦🏼‍♀️

—————————-
Thanks Bafan - it really does limit families like us who would have loved the original layout with the 2 seats together. I know why they’ve done it (for privacy etc) but wish they’d kept one set of 2 seats for those who prefer them.
bafan and Keystone like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 14, 2021 at 2:54 pm Reason: Combine two consecutive posts
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Can I add my welcome to FT too Liz W

I think as others have noted even if you book a flight now with the old club world layout on that route, there is little certainty that it won't change by August. In fact for JFK I suspect it is more likely you will see the new club suites which doesn't help you. I am genuinely not sure what to suggest here unfortunately.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Liz W
thanks - I’ve checked Gatwick flights and unfortunately none of them seem to be direct 🤦🏼‍♀️
Depending on how things go (this is the ultra positive possibility) BA may reinstate Gatwick flights (they're suspended at the moment). If they do, there's a chance the older seats will be there. But it's a big 'if' at the moment.

On a different note: you will be limited to 5 posts in your first 24 hours as a member. This is to avoid spammers. Just in case it happens to you, you'll know why!

Please do report back on how it goes for you, and good luck with your trip! Hope you get to enjoy it!
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Hello Liz W and welcome to FlyerTalk. It's a bit of a tricky one because aircraft can change right up until close to departure especially at LHR.

Depending on where you're headed ultimately you might like to check PHL. It is currently showing the older 2-4-2 configuration towards the end of August. Here's an example for the BA 67 August 20th.

If you absolutely need to ensure there are two seats side by side you may need to either change cabin or fly with another airline with a more guaranteed configuration. Good luck with your plans.

Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:29 pm
A13

Programs: BA Silver
I think Newark is keeping the old configuration on some flights when I looked before.
More likely than JFK, anyway.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Liz W

You might be better off booking an American Airlines operated flight, if you are able to select a Boeing 777-200 service as AA has a cabin layout with a mix of forward and rearward facing seats where the A and D seats (and H and L seats) located either side of the aisle actually face each other. You can study the relationship in the seat layout plan below:

There is unfortunately a likely pitfall I should warn you of - this being AA’s 777-200s come in two different configurations. The other being this...

What’s worse, AA is known to switch from one config to the other less than 24 hours before the scheduled departure time.
englisha likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC
Welcome to FT.

May I ask, is NY the only option? (If we’re allowed that is!)

I ask because Boston might be a higher probability for getting the old CW layout. NY was planned to have a high proportion of the New Club Suites than most routes. Others will know more on aircraft designation and how it might pan out but I think it’s too early to tell.

Boston is a fantastic city to be more mobile in a more compact area than NYC. NYC has famous landmarks but other cities do compete well beyond those movie shot landmarks. As others have pointed out you could try Philly or Washington too.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Apr 14, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
If you really need to sit next to your daughter, I would seriously consider WTP rather than business. The same goes for families with very young children. Club suites are great if you’re on your own but not really suited for this.
PGberkshire and JamieABZ like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Boston is a fantastic city to be more mobile in a more compact area than NYC. NYC has famous landmarks but other cities do compete well beyond those movie shot landmarks. As others have pointed out you could try Philly or Washington too.
Boston is also a stand-in for NYC street scenes in many recent films.

Acela F also isn't a terrible way to get from BOS to NYC.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Farringdon
If you really need to sit next to your daughter, I would seriously consider WTP rather than business. The same goes for families with very young children. Club suites are great if you’re on your own but not really suited for this.
I have this very situation where I am travelling with my grandchildren for the first time and no matter how I try and work it, Club Suites really don't work
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:34 am

If it didn't work then surely all of the other 1-2-1 configured airlines in the world would have seen the family leisure market fall through the floor a long time ago?

​​​​​​I've seen families with young children on QR in Business Class manage quite happily on many occasions. I really can't help but think that unless the kids are particularly badly behaved that sometimes it's the adults who are the ones overthinking the situation and creating barriers that aren't there.
A P Yu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.