Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Declaration Form

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Travel Declaration Form

What experience are passengers having at Heathrow with regard to scrutiny of the international travel declaration form and supporting documents when travelling to the US, whether by BA at check-in or by anyone else? I'm about to book BA from LHR to JFK in order to get medical treatment in NY for an unusual medical condition (I'm a dual UK/US citizen so can enter the US). The trip satisfies government guidance because the treatment is legitimate and it's not available in the UK, but I can't help but feel a little nervous given the £5,000 fine at stake. Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
Closest Input I can give is that I flew to Bermuda last Tuesday. Used the first check in wing. I didn’t see a single policeman throughout Heathrow and no-one asked for that form. Check in asked to see my Covid test results.
scoonee likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 4:55 am

They are being read pretty carefully when asked for, but given that medical treatment is specifically one of the options and (presumably?) you’ll have evidence of your appointment(s), you’ll be fine. There are far more grey areas to interrogate.
scoonee likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
I flew LHR to JFK at the end of March, on AA. The declaration form was in force, but it was the last day before the £5000 fine came in. Nobody asked to see the form. I checked in through the First Wing, which you would be able to do as an EXP.

I suspect that the police are not very interested in checking passengers on flights to the U.S.A., given the small numbers, and the unlikelihood of anyone travelling "on holiday". There would be better flights to target --- LGW/CUN for example, as reported in another thread.
scoonee and James91 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The bottom line is that you are traveling for a specifically exempt purpose. Not that you will be asked, but you presumably have all of your appointment and other related information for your own purposes. Why not simply print out some communication scheduling your appointment and whatever else seems relevant and not too private and have that handy in the event that there is a question. I would not bandy anything around, simply have it.
scoonee likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I know several people who travelled for medicals to the US and Greece.

No one checked any of the documents on the outbound; Border Force asked on the return at passport check for the reason for travelling in about 50% of cases. I hear that in this case my friends just waived appointment print outs in front of the Border Force officer and that was enough to be ok without any further checking.

Nothing to worry about at all, as Often1 said there are far more dubious cases around ('I have an appointment with a property broker in Dubai to buy real estate there').
scoonee likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
and if you like to be 100% sure, you can ask your medical provider for an invitation letter (I know couples who went to Greece for IVF treatment and it did the job).
scoonee likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Nobody wants headlines about suffering (or worse) caused by police stopping someone leaving the country for medical treatment. I am sure that any half-plausible documentation would be accepted without further question.
scoonee and Duck1981 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What PP are you flying with? UK or US?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I flew out of T5 and had the form folded in four in the back pocket of my jeans, I was asked twice at the first wing if I had it , once at the podium and once at check in. I replied "yes" both times, reached around to my pocket but the offer to show was waved away before my hand touched the paperwork. It was still the when I arrived into GIB and nobody else laid eyes on it.

There were no police or other officials asking questions in the Terminal however I was on a 07:15 departure.
scoonee likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TomMM
What PP are you flying with? UK or US?
Haa to be US. First the US like most countries requires its citizens to enter on their US PPs. Also they are the only people allowed to fly directly from the UK to US right now. To the point of the thread, I have to think when push comes to from a foreign PP would save you from being directed home and probably from a fine as well - especially if one was silent re their UK PP.
scoonee likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:29 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
Haa to be US. First the US like most countries requires its citizens to enter on their US PPs. Also they are the only people allowed to fly directly from the UK to US right now. To the point of the thread, I have to think when push comes to from a foreign PP would save you from being directed home and probably from a fine as well - especially if one was silent re their UK PP.
I know several UK passport holder's who travelled direct to the US. This was for work purposes.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Any non-US PP holder can travel to the US if they have permanent residence status... (amongst other things).
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is entirely incorrect. If you read the Directive and the DHS Order implementing it, you will see that there are any number of exemptions. Many UK (and other) nationals routinely travel to the US.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP were traveling on a non-UK PP would their INTL travel be restricted under the UK rule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.