Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Speculating here, but I honestly am not sure if the results of posters' conversations have something to do with their approaches? - Throwing around legal threats, compensation demands and what not, rather than being open-minded and a little flexible?
I had our ex-BKK re-booking sorted extremely easily with no issues, and even pro-actively optimised twice since then by BA who contacted me with better options.

I have nothing but praise for the staff with whom I have spoken regarding this rebooking. I fully expect that it is not the end of the tale (changed three times already within two week), but if BA keeps up the standard with which they have handled it until now, I will be very happy.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Bronze :(
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Speculating here, but I honestly am not sure if the results of posters' conversations have something to do with their approaches? - Throwing around legal threats, compensation demands and what not, rather than being open-minded and a little flexible?
I had our ex-BKK re-booking sorted extremely easily with no issues, and even pro-actively optimised twice since then by BA who contacted me with better options.

I have nothing but praise for the staff with whom I have spoken regarding this rebooking. I fully expect that it is not the end of the tale (changed three times already within two week), but if BA keeps up the standard with which they have handled it until now, I will be very happy.
I think BA have had plenty enough benefit of the doubt and clearly page 1 of their current playbook for any cancellations is "Tell the mugs on the phone that they can have a refund and nothing else" and expect 95% of people to take it and have to waste their own time and money re-arranging a trip that they thought was arranged months ago. Yes you will get somewhere with being a little flexible, but ultimately, why should you have to be - It's up to BA to accommodate the customer, not the other way round.

It's a pain and totally unacceptable.

This is not a slight on the staff, a lot of them are doing the best they can in the current circumstances - But it's clear that there are still major issues in virtually all departments at BA and the customer is having to take it on the chin in many instances.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
This ex-pat forum in Thailand also has some comment about the BKK BA route although some is misplaced or misinformed but the tone is familiar.
Do the powers that be actually care about the public perception of the airline anymore I wonder?
https://aseannow.com/topic/1267241-b...airways-rises/
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:47 am

My experience with them has been the same as you. The staff have been very helpful and accommodating. However, perhaps we have been lucky. I'm guessing they did not deny your legal right to a re-route? What would you have done if they did? They have clearly been doing this to a number of passengers so I don't blame them for fighting for their rights.
DelTroon likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by subject2load
Not sure how long you might have been using BA but these highly questionable practices (often amounting to a blatant disrespect for the law) are, sadly, far from new ; so much so, that they have almost become part of the company’s culture and even default modus operandi.

BA (together with - it must be said clearly - the aviation sector as a whole, but this is the BA forum) have been ‘reminded’ on more than one occasion by the CAA of their obligations and responsibilities. It’s not very long ago that they were even called before a Parliamentary Select Committee, where the inquiry included a number of questions surrounding ongoing difficulties experienced by customers in securing a cash refund as properly due, whilst instead being unwittingly made to ‘accept’ a credit voucher ; and the wilful removal of a straightforward & prompt refund facility, previously available on the website.

My own, fairly recent, experience involved a near-surreal conversation with one of the least knowledgeable OR most obstructive (it’s hard to know which ….. but perhaps a combination of both ?) members of the call centre teams. My flight to Tokyo was cancelled and I was requested on MMB to please “get in touch with us”.

I decided to wait a good couple of weeks to allow the dust to settle, as it were, but then needed to resolve my plans & itinerary for a trip which involves several other countries, not purely Japan.

The call went something like this :

Me : “Hi, I’m looking for some help please with regard to my flight to Tokyo, recently cancelled by yourselves. A note on my BAEC account says I should call you to discuss my options. The relevant locator is xxxxxx”

Agent : “Sorry about the cancellation. I have the flight details in front of me. Would you like me to arrange a refund ?”

Me : “Er ….. no thanks. What I’d like is to be booked onto an alternative flight, same routing & approximate date please”

Agent : “Let me see. Oh ….. there don’t seem to be any flights to Tokyo on those dates. It looks like the route has been suspended. A refund will be the only option”

Me : “Do you mean that there are no BA flights to Tokyo ? What about flights operated by other airlines, please ?”

Agent : “That’s right, no BA flights. I can’t speak for other airlines - but I wouldn’t be able to switch your booking to another airline anyway”

Me : “I understand that I’m entitled to be booked with an alternative carrier where there are suitable flights available. I have found a suitable flight operated by JAL”

Agent : “I cannot book flights with JAL. I can gladly re-book you for a BA flight”

Me : “What dates can you offer me for BA flights ?”

Agent : “There are no BA flights. The route has been suspended. So I can arrange a full refund for you”.

Me : “Please don’t do that. The JAL flight which I mentioned is actually showing for sale on ba.com and readily bookable online. Is there any reason why you cannot switch me to it please ? As a gold member, I was hoping for some more help but for any customer - whether gold or not - I feel sure you have a legal duty to get me to Tokyo by any reasonable means …… including a switch of my current BA reservation to a different carrier”

Agent : “There is no policy to do that. We have no arrangements with JAL. As I have already told you, the only option is a refund.

Me : “Okay, I will leave it there. Please do NOT arrange a refund. I will need a day or so to decide what to do next”.

Agent : “Is there anything else I can help you with ?”

Me : “Not at the moment, thanks, goodbye”

I won’t recount here in full the subsequent conversation with a different agent (and, I think, a different call centre) but suffice to say I met with similar resistance ; indicating to me that the refusal to follow (or, at best, the ignorance of) regulatory guidelines is far from isolated.

However, this time I was not so patient and told the agent politely - but very firmly - that I would have no option but to lodge a formal complaint concerning the unsatisfactory service and also to pursue legal action against her employer. I also quoted the relevant section of the EC / UK legislation ; whereupon, my original booking was magically switched to JAL, and promptly re-ticketed, with an emailed confirmation received within minutes.

Why oh why does it have to be like this ….. ?

Whatever happened to that old thing called customer service ? Is there really no training carried out as there was once was …. ??

It has often been said that BA management should feel ashamed for so often (admittedly, NOT always) putting their passengers through avoidable stress and additional needless effort where the airline’s handling of cancellations and other disruption is concerned. But of course they also say that where is no embarrassment, there is no shame.

Please, please BA …… can you try and get a grip. Please focus and bring an end to this shoddy treatment once & for all.
I wonder what our good friend AnonBA has to say about this?
haroon145 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thomasd21
Well just to clarify in case there is any doubt, that FT'er posts here in a personal capacity and isn't here to defend BA. They don't have to say anything.

On the issue above, there are rebooking options for long haul which have existed over the last two years. I am not clear what the travel dates were and whether they covered the travel dates concerned.
SKT-DK, sl1ppy, Krisz and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by thomasd21
nothing he/she needs to say especially if he/she works for BA. Probably loads of BA employees disagree with BA policies still they have to do their work and they must not comment these things on a forum or blog or social media. They would just loose their jobs and nothing will change. Trust me, they can drive conversations internally using the proper channels. I found it very helpful all current or ex BA employees participation in this forum.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:22 am

BA staff changed your flight twice after they've rebooked you? Who do I need to call?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KaiW90
BA staff changed your flight twice after they've rebooked you? Who do I need to call?
Yes after the first rebooking they did change it to something better and pro-actively called me to confirm. And subsequently another schedule change required a third change. I guess that is impossible for the nay-sayers to believe?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:33 am

Yes after the first rebooking they did change it to something better and pro-actively called me to confirm. And subsequently another schedule change required a third change. I guess that is impossible for the nay-sayers to believe?
Are you able to give me the specifics to your bookings and changes so that I may reference it in my call with BA?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:44 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
We are happily rebooked from a 2-4-1 onto QR in business. Unfortunately just discovering we won’t have lounge access due it being a non revenue ticket which is a bit annoying as we have very lengthy stopovers in Doha. The booking class on QR website shows it is a J bucket which should allow lounge access. We had no problem selecting seats for free. I know the BA agent who rebooked me told me these were the highest revenue tickets, wouldn’t it be nice if tier points/ avios awarded but one can only dream
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by fdem
We are happily rebooked from a 2-4-1 onto QR in business. Unfortunately just discovering we won’t have lounge access due it being a non revenue ticket which is a bit annoying as we have very lengthy stopovers in Doha. The booking class on QR website shows it is a J bucket which should allow lounge access. We had no problem selecting seats for free. I know the BA agent who rebooked me told me these were the highest revenue tickets, wouldn’t it be nice if tier points/ avios awarded but one can only dream
are you sure of that? I didn’t think there was a restriction using the Al mourjan if you were on a reward booking?

edit: in any case aren’t you booked on a ba codeshare? where have you seen you won’t have access?

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 30, 2022 at 9:39 am
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
How come? We rebooked onto QR as our LHR-BKK-LHR return was also cancelled, also 241 and we enjoyed every revenue equivalent aspect such as luggage, lounge etc and we had the row 1 double bed. I’d contact them to clarify. There’s no reason for them to do this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:24 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
How come? We rebooked onto QR as our LHR-BKK-LHR return was also cancelled, also 241 and we enjoyed every revenue equivalent aspect such as luggage, lounge etc and we had the row 1 double bed. I’d contact them to clarify. There’s no reason for them to do this.
I have read on various forums ( one mile at a time ) that last year QR changed their lounge access policy to include only those on a full fare ( highest fare bucket) would be given access and those in business on ‘light’ fares and non revenue tickets denied access to the main lounge. In London you wouldn’t have access to the newly reopened lounge but would have access to premium plaza. When did you fly.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:26 am

I have read on various forums ( one mile at a time ) that last year QR changed their lounge access policy to include only those on a full fare ( highest fare bucket) would be given access and those in business on ‘light’ fares and non revenue tickets denied access to the main lounge. In London you wouldn’t have access to the newly reopened lounge but would have access to premium plaza. When did you fly.
you aren’t on a business lite fare, and I haven’t heard anything about reward flights not getting access. In fact I know someone who got access to Al safwa this week on a F reward booking so I think that’s not accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.