Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
BA aircraft in BKK

BA aircraft at BKK, Sunday 30th January

Does anyone know why this BA plane was in Bangkok this morning? Apologies if it’s already been asked upthread on another date but I couldn’t see anything. Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by HarryKUK

BA aircraft at BKK, Sunday 30th January

Does anyone know why this BA plane was in Bangkok this morning? Apologies if it’s already been asked upthread on another date but I couldn’t see anything. Thanks!
There are 2 a day most days. The BA9/10 as a freighter on 787s, and also a daily 777-300 that continues on to HKG also as a freighter.
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by GSTBD
There are 2 a day most days. The BA9/10 as a freighter on 787s, and also a daily 777-300 that continues on to HKG also as a freighter.
Thanks - just wondered. I assume it’s a more complex operation to also include passengers on something like this that explains why it’s not also being used for passengers?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
They do indeed have plenty of cargo capacity to BKK, but sadly no pax flights - I’m desperately hoping for them to come back
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:30 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Cymro
If it's not one itinerary, they won't let you board without the full Test & Go package.
I read somewhere that the Thai government was looking at ending covid Status being a pandemic becoming endemic perhaps they are waking up to the fact that it will be impossible to completely eradicate the virus and we need to learn to live with it. I can’t even begin to contemplate how the economy is suffering due to lack of tourism and it won’t cut it with working people/ families risking being imprisoned should anyone in group test positive and yes state quarantine is horrible I do know someone who had to endure it.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
I assume it’s a more complex operation to also include passengers on something like this that explains why it’s not also being used for passengers?
Much more complex: passengers could have or have had Covid, but cargo rarely does.

I suspect that an all-cargo operation is much more flexible. The operating pattern to BKK has changed many times over the last few weeks, presumably reflecting levels of demand. Cargo doesn't post on FT complaining that their flight has been cancelled or delayed or rescheduled at short notice, nor does it claim 261/2004 rerouting rights or compensation.
SKT-DK, Neilgcal, DelTroon and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fdem
I read somewhere that the Thai government was looking at ending covid Status being a pandemic becoming endemic perhaps they are waking up to the fact that it will be impossible to completely eradicate the virus and we need to learn to live with it. I can’t even begin to contemplate how the economy is suffering due to lack of tourism and it won’t cut it with working people/ families risking being imprisoned should anyone in group test positive and yes state quarantine is horrible I do know someone who had to endure it.
They are re-launching their "test and go" on Tuesday which should actually be renamed "test and go, and come back again and test". So they're actually adding more restrictions.
rhysflies likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Schwann
They are re-launching their "test and go" on Tuesday which should actually be renamed "test and go, and come back again and test". So they're actually adding more restrictions.
How is this adding restrictions compared to forced 7-10 day quarantine?!
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
How is this adding restrictions compared to forced 7-10 day quarantine?!
When compared with the previous test and go. I know it is better than 7-10 day quarantine but in the context of the previous poster's remarks the new iteration of Test and Go can barely described as living with the virus.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:06 am

When compared with the previous test and go. I know it is better than 7-10 day quarantine but in the context of the previous poster's remarks the new iteration of Test and Go can barely described as living with the virus.
I agree. Far too much faff and aggravation. I’ll be
holidaying in more grown-up countries that aren’t stuck in “2020” mode for the time-being.
fdem likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:00 am

It is also differently restrictive compared to the previous iteration of other countries’ nonsensical restrictions, but we have to compare to the latest version - and here, it is still an improvement.

I fully agree with you that the whole thing is a farce though, and as such travel is made virtually impossible. But guess we have to work with the cards we are dealt :/
Schwann likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Just back from 2.5 months in phuket, arrived on the original test and go. This new one is a mess, arrive, have a test and after 5 days have another test. For each test you have to have a sha+ hotel booked.

A friend of mine came back positive on the second test, and was told they'd come and take him to the hospital for enforced quarantine for 10 days. Looking online, that isnt fun at all. Fortunately they never actually came to get him, so he spent 10 days in his hotel room ordering room service. But as it stands, this is way too much of a risk to consider going for anything less than a few months. He's triple vaxed too if you think that would help.

By the way, not sure its been mentioned but the definitive source to keep an eye on restrictions is https://twitter.com/richardbarrow/?lang=en
SW7London likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by GSTBD
I agree. Far too much faff and aggravation. I’ll be holidaying in more grown-up countries that aren’t stuck in “2020” mode for the time-being.
That won't be Asia any time soon then. Populations and governments love the silly COVID-induced theatre, semi-closed / closed borders and lack of any sort of fun in life.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Hi BABob, glad you managed to get sorted. Were you able to select blocked/centre Q-Suite seats via RJ - we’re still struggling with 2 of the flights.
Yes
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just rebooked a cancelled BA flight (originally booked with an amex 241, put into a FTV) with QR as it looks like Thailand will relax their testing requirements slightly next month. Was able to select seats on QR's website.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.