Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transiting via London from the US: do I need Covid test?

Old Apr 8, 21, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

A destination country doesn`t require the test, transiting via London from the US on either BA or AA. Can`t find clear info whether any test is required for the UK flight.
Old Apr 8, 21, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As with all international travel, the first step is to always check TIMATIC. If you provide your nationality, country of residence and destination country, all of this can be verified in <30 seconds.

Warning:
- Passengers entering or transiting through the United Kingdom
must have a negative COVID-19 test result. The test must
have been taken at most 3 days before departure of the last
direct flight to the United Kingdom. Tests accepted are:
antigen, LAMP, nucleic acid and PCR tests. The test result
must be in English, French or Spanish. Passengers details
(name, date of birth or age) on the test result must match
those stated in the passport or other travel document. The
test result must also include the contact details of the
issuing laboratory.
ACR2013 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 21, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As with all international travel, the first step is to always check TIMATIC. If you provide your nationality, country of residence and destination country, all of this can be verified in <30 seconds.

Warning:
- Passengers entering or transiting through the United Kingdom
must have a negative COVID-19 test result. The test must
have been taken at most 3 days before departure of the last
direct flight to the United Kingdom. Tests accepted are:
antigen, LAMP, nucleic acid and PCR tests. The test result
must be in English, French or Spanish. Passengers details
(name, date of birth or age) on the test result must match
those stated in the passport or other travel document. The
test result must also include the contact details of the
issuing laboratory.
Ok, so it looks like citizenship and country of residency is irrelevant, as one has to have a test anyways. Thank you! Hopefully, Finland won`t require test for transit passengers anytime soon (but connecting time is pretty bad for international flights - less or an hour - very risky)
Old Apr 8, 21, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ACR2013 View Post
Ok, so it looks like citizenship and country of residency is irrelevant, as one has to have a test anyways. Thank you! Hopefully, Finland won`t require test for transit passengers anytime soon (but connecting time is pretty bad for international flights - less or an hour - very risky)
Hi,

To be fair Helsinki in Finland is set up for rapid transits and an hour transit should not be a problem.

Regards
tbs
makin'miles likes this.
Old Apr 8, 21, 6:34 pm
Suspended

The point is that one cannot accurately run TIMATIC without that information and there may be other limitations. Absolutely impossible to say without the required data. That is what the check-in agent will run, so it is what you should run.
Old Apr 8, 21, 7:01 pm

only if the airline allows you to do so. they may look at TIMATIC for USA-?-? , and say you dont meet the requirements (which is true, because you don't have a covid test yet)

luckily, Finnair allows you skip a covid test if transiting (but that's not exactly what OP wants?)

https://www.finnair.com/us-en/safe-t...afety-measures

We will require a certificate of either a negative coronavirus test or of a full recovery from the infection from all travellers on our flights to Finland from 28 January 2021 onwards, in line with the recommendation by Finnish health authorities. Please ensure you have required travel documents to travel. This requirement does not concern you when you connect to an international flight at Helsinki nor children under the age of 12.
Old Apr 9, 21, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Maybe I'm dumb, but how does one do this? Is there a website? I've done a web search and come up empty on finding a site that works as you describe.
Old Apr 9, 21, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by pfreet View Post
Maybe I'm dumb, but how does one do this? Is there a website? I've done a web search and come up empty on finding a site that works as you describe.
There are several airlines that provide a link to Timatic on their websites. But you can access through IATA as well.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/pas...quirements.htm
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 21, 4:52 am

An hour in HEL is nowhere near ‘very risky’ even when the airport is absolutely crammed with hordes of connecting pax. I imagine at the moment it’s nothing more than a leisurely stroll.
Old Apr 9, 21, 8:56 am

Sorry if this is a little off topic but if I was in transit from the US via London to a travel corridor destination, Jersey, Guernsey IOM would I need a test?
Old Apr 9, 21, 8:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jerseylily2 View Post
Sorry if this is a little off topic but if I was in transit from the US via London to a travel corridor destination, Jersey, Guernsey IOM would I need a test?
the pre arrival test? Yes. All arrivals need one even if just connecting.
Old Apr 9, 21, 10:46 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
DELETED

Found answer in another thread discussing transiting.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...through-the-uk

Transiting through the UK

Travel from UK

You do not need to complete a declaration form for overseas travel.

Travel to UK

You need to complete the passenger locator form before you travel to the UK.

You need to take a coronavirus test before you travel to the UK.

You do not need to quarantine or take a coronavirus test on day 2 and day 8 because you are only transiting via the UK.

This exemption applies to anyone transiting through the UK, ‘airside’ or ‘landside’.

For people transiting landside (entering the UK), it applies where you are entering the UK for the sole purposes of continuing a journey to a country or territory outside of the Common Travel Area, and you either:
  • remain within your port of entry until your departure from England, or
  • travel directly from your port of entry to another port of departure in England

Last edited by ocdb8r; Apr 9, 21 at 11:13 am
Old Apr 9, 21, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Confus View Post
An hour in HEL is nowhere near ‘very risky’ even when the airport is absolutely crammed with hordes of connecting pax. I imagine at the moment it’s nothing more than a leisurely stroll.
Last time I was there in August last year and spent nearly 2 hours in immigration que going non-Schengen to Schengen.
Old Apr 9, 21, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
only if the airline allows you to do so. they may look at TIMATIC for USA-?-? , and say you dont meet the requirements (which is true, because you don't have a covid test yet)

luckily, Finnair allows you skip a covid test if transiting (but that's not exactly what OP wants?)

https://www.finnair.com/us-en/safe-t...afety-measures
Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with the air carrier other than that it is the air carrier which checks your documentation. It is the destination or transit jurisdiction which sets the requirements.

If you transit LHR from the US, you will be required to provide a negative C-19 test result before being permitted to board any carrier. Which takes us back to TIMATIC.
argonath likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: