Wiki Posts
Search

Pricing/avios Sense-check

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2021, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Pricing/avios Sense-check

Hello all, a particularly dull question here for the experts I am afraid - but I am doubting myself on this! I am looking at flights to TLV 2/7 - 12/7 to visit family (will be almost 18 months) - as all signs point to the country allowing non-citizens in to see family if vaccinated - I am 43 so hope to be done by then for sure...).

Although previously an aficionado (or at least enthusiast) or turning left through judicious miles usage etc - these days a combination of financial insecurity after the pandemic (although happily no actual changes to circumstance, indeed lots of saving - but it gives one pause) and the prospect of potentially still drastically reduced service (I like the wines and champagnes etc in First) steers me towards cheaper options - and seeing it all as a means to an end rather than part of the fun. If you're still with me after that overly long intro - I see PE fares on my dates are £550 and avios are 45k + £306 - surely it is a nobrainer to buy the cash fare on these calculations? In my mind Avios always seemed the much better option (if one had them - and I have about 175k) - so I am wondering if I am missing something?

Interestingly First on those days is £1400 which seems a lot less than it ahs been in the past - I wonder if this will go up with Israel being on the Green list.

Thanks for your thoughts as always!
Old Apr 8, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
45k Avios + £306 vs £550 values your Avios at 0.54p each. You can convert Avios to Nectar points at a value of 0.8p each, so if you cannot achieve the same then cash would be the most economic thing to do.
Booking with Avios does have other advantages though - mainly being able to cancel for any reason any only pay thr £35 fee - although a FTV would be available if you needed to cancel.

Last edited by bakera; Apr 8, 2021 at 10:01 am
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tootall33
I see PE fares on my dates are £550 and avios are 45k + £306 ...
Originally Posted by bakera
45k Avios + £306 vs £550 values your Avios at 0.054p each. You can convert Avios to Nectar points at a value of 0.08p each, so if you cannot achieve the same then cash would be the most economic thing to do.
Saving 45,000 Avios by paying an extra £244.00 would be paying 0.54p for every Avios saved (leaving aside the different booking conditions). Avios can be spent in Sainsburys at the equivalent of 0.8p per Avios.

Booking conditions are more complex at the moment, not least because of BWC allowing any cash paid now to be used for any trip until well into 2023 with no change fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.